ADVERTISEMENT

MUSCLE SHOALS

WebSpinner

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 7, 2003
for those of us who grew up with 60s and 70s music, a super documentary, MUSCLE SHOALS, can be found on NETFLIX. think it was done in 2013, just found it buried among all the other documentaries and enjoyed it so much and learned so much. great story of a little southern town which blew away the music business. enjoy!!

amazing the list of characters coming thru this little gem, the stones, bob seger, wicked pickett, percy, otis, the osmonds, aretha, paul simon, etta, steve windwood. a touching story as well about the founder who came from nothing to be the top producer in the world during his heyday.

This post was edited on 6/21 7:58 AM by WebSpinner

Spinner - wow- thanks. Seeing that very first picture of Percy Sledge made me think back to his performance at Millhiser when I was about 5 feet away from him. Makes me like him even more knowing of his humble roots - back in the college days I never would have thought of someone I considered a rock star having been an orderly in a hospital. At Millhiser he laid on his back and sang "When a Man Loves a Woman.' Awww - good memory.......................

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+percy+sledge+when+a+man+loves+a+woman&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=EB222D4AD19C48DC9525EB222D4AD19C48DC9525

Spider fan, I too still remember very well that performance by Mr. Sledge of " When a man loves a woman". He was great.

Spinner can you link it in anyway. I dated a girl from Muscle Shoals in the early 70's and went down to see her during the summer once and was shocked at the humble recording studio used by so many greats.

although i do not want 32 to know that i am somewhat up to date technology-wise, have it on streaming on my blue ray but guess you can rent or buy it thru NETFLIX as well. think it is about 2 hours long but will see if i can find some clips to hang here. for you southern rock guys, a real interesting piece on duane allman stopping by the shoals and talking wilson pickett into covering HEY JUDE by the beatles and what a super sound that is if you have not heard it. Fan, she was probably one of the back up singers in the studio there....HA! here is a trailer....

This post was edited on 6/21 10:01 AM by WebSpinner
party0029.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 6/21 10:35 AM by WebSpinner

MUSCLE SHOALS

talking about millhiser, we were having a greek week concert in the greek theater one spring when the rains came so we moved over to the gym and CURTIS MAYFIELD AND THE IMPRESSIONS set up and i was sitting on the floor at their feet and looked up and saw buck, steve buckingham playing in their backup band (that memory is for you Ulla). by the way, here is HEY JUDE by wilson pickett with duane allman on lead guitar with an intro from eric clapton, one of the best ever guitar pickers. recorded at FAME studio in the shoals with the swampers as the back up rythm section.

This post was edited on 6/21 11:56 AM by WebSpinner

This post was edited on 6/21 12:00 PM by WebSpinner

HEY JUDE

This is one of the best documentaries around. Muscle Shoals, Macon and Athens made more great music than anyone since Motown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT