ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney has been outstanding over the past 5 games

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
There has been a lot of discussion about Mooney in different post, but he deserve his own tread. We have had an incredible run over the last 5 games against very high quality teams and Mooney deserves a lot of credit for those wins. His game strategy, substitutions and timing of time outs were outstanding. I am very happy for U of R, the Players, the fan, Mooney and his family.

I have been a big supporter of Mooney ever since the recruiting class of Grant, Sherod and Buckingham. I felt the coaching staff had improved significantly in recruiting that would pay off bigtime long term. The following year we had Gilyard, Cayo and Blake, who had to sit out a year, Then we had Goose, Sal, Crabtree and Grace, followed by Burton. Recruiting misses don't matter as long as you get on average 2 quality players each year.

This improvement in recruiting took 2 year to have an impact and since then we have arguably had one of the best teams in the history of the school. Over the past 3 years we have had the highest 3 year average SRS in the history of the school. We have had 2 NCAA quality teams and the third made it to the NIT. We have achieved this success with a team filled with great players and quality individuals that represent the university well.

Finally, Mooney has created a culture on the team of loyalty to the school, team and coach, which is very unique in college basketball. The picture of TJ with tears in his eyes after the A10 championship game said it all.

This has an ESPN 30-30 written all over it.

Team full of super-seniors is expected to compete for bid and A10 title at beginning of season.
Season is seen by many as make it or break it for Mooney.
Finish season on 2 game losing streak.
Team struggles, ups and downs - and finishes 6th. On NIT bubble at best.
Win A10 championship - with heroics from a bench player - Matt Grace.
Make NCAA tourney and draw Iowa - with all-american and sleeper pick for final four.
Beat Iowa. Advance.

Mooney goes from potentially the weight of the world on his shoulders and possibly being fired, to now looking at Hardt and Administration and thinking "Back up the Brinks truck directly to my house". The roller-coaster the last 2 weeks has been unreal.

I am counting the last week of the regular season where we lost 2 games - thinking we enter the A10 with losses to Dayton and Bonnies and then turn it around.

The roller-coaster proves 1 thing that has always been true in sports and especially college sports - WINNING CURES ALL.

I will give Mooney some credit. Our guys easily could have given up when we finished 6th, or when we were down 15 to rhode island in the first game of the A10 tournament. The perseverance speaks a lot about the quality of the men in that locker room, including the coaches and the players

His players and especially Jacob Gilyard have been outstanding. Don’t give Mooney too much credit.
Like I said before - coaches get credit when they win and when they lose, too much on both ends. But you can't give the players a raise and extension. They play 4 years (or 6 in our case) and they move on. The coach stays - and he is the one who gets rewarded by the school.

All of this started just over a week ago. We started the run on March 10. The roller-coaster has been fun.
I feel like despite the losses at the end of the regular season, that this started when the team woke up on on February 19th and remembered the night of the 18th...

Truly puzzling to look at the past two regular seasons and then this past week and attempt to rationalize the incredible difference. I'm just happy that the program is back in the national spotlight and playing at a really high level.
2019-2020 24-7 77.42%
11/27/2020-2/18/2022 31-19 **
2/19/2022-3/18/2022 7-2 77.78%

** needed 8 more wins to match the other 2 stretches. (39-11)

Again, Gilyard is running this team. Gilyard is running this team. Maybe some input from MoJo and the other assistants that deal with the players more directly, but that's it.

Mooney is just standing on the sidelines, drinking from his sippy cup, and pretending to be concerned. He's just cashing checks at this point.

Again, Gilyard is running this team. Gilyard is running this team. Maybe some input from MoJo and the other assistants that deal with the players more directly, but that's it.

Mooney is just standing on the sidelines, drinking from his sippy cup, and pretending to be concerned. He's just cashing checks at this point.
man, you and K just refuse to believe your own eyes. and what the players you say you believe in tell you.

Reactions: UR80sfan

Team full of super-seniors is expected to compete for bid and A10 title at beginning of season.
Make NCAA tourney and draw Iowa - with all-american and sleeper pick for final four.
Beat Iowa. Advance.

Mooney goes from potentially the weight of the world on his shoulders and possibly being fired, to now looking at Hardt and Administration and thinking "Back up the Brinks truck directly to my house". The roller-coaster the last 2 weeks has been unreal.
Yes made for tv.

Beat Iowa. Advance.

I would let the next two years play out before I backed anything up to Mooney’s house. By then we will know if it should be a Brinks truck or a UHaul truck.

Hey, I bash him when they don't win, so gotta give him credit when they do. We definitely are on a magical run . I will say, as much as I bang on our defense - it has been very very good lately. Goose helps, but not this much. I do think our offensive style is so well known in the A10 that it loses some effectiveness, but with Golden and Gilyard running it at such a high level it works very well against newer opponents. I will say I think Mooney's substitutions have been very good - though I feel like Sherod has been a liability a bit. THe Gilly substitution pattern is an easy one - write him in the starting line up.

Going forward, hoping Mooney can study the defense and apply. I think part of it is the players just locked in this time of year, and not enforced earlier in the season. I think with defense it is something the head coach has to enforce, and we have seen guys all year not get in trouble for giving up blow bys, etc like younger players get the stink eye when they dribble off their foot. I do think Mooney does some things really well as a coach, if he can focus more on defense, and recruit just a little better we can have a good run the next 10 years, instead of another drought.

he's certainly tightened up the rotation. but you can't do that all year. he's given a lot of guys some rope all season. now you go with your best 7 or 8. even if they're tired. everyone's banged up this time of year.

Reactions: UR80sfan
I give CM credit for this run, and of course the players also. That doesn't excuse the lack of performance over the last decade at all and doesn't mean the program is in the best hands. But CM isn't going anywhere, so my hope is that he finally realizes this more agressive style of defense is how we need to play. That said, we will have plenty of time to discuss this after the tournament is over. Now is the time to celebrate this teams accomplishments and enjoy the run.

Yeah, I don't want to be negative at all right now, but the narrative at the moment about how this run is redemption for Mooney after people dared to point out his lack of success over 10 years is comical to me. Meanwhile, Iowa fans want to fire McCaffrey because he doesn't make it far enough in the tourney, despite getting there often.

Last edited:
I'm not negative, because I have confidence in the players. We all want the end result to be the same. I view things different than most. I think this run is a player driven movement.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
It doesn't excuse the past 10 years, but you have to "think" and put on the "glasses" of our administration. This win will prove to be validation for sticking with Mooney and his group - especially if they make sweet 16 run out of it. I am sure Mooney is linked to an interview or two at other schools, but at the end of the day - the result is an extension and raise to keep him here at Mooney. At that point - outside of McKillop, he has to be longest tenured coached in A10 and maybe highest paid depending on raise coming? (Rhodes at VCU I think makes 1.5 million and yet to see who UMASS hires and I think Grant at Dayton is around 1.5-1.6).

Reactions: spider fan
Yes performance over last 5 games has been superb ...............can't be any better than 5-0..............a great two week period...............and while in the "praise pouring on phase" CM did a great job at the Iowa post game press conference.............

Reactions: urfan1
...............- the result is an extension and raise to keep him here at Mooney. At that point - outside of McKillop, he has to be longest tenured coached in A10 and maybe highest paid depending on raise coming? (Rhodes at VCU I think makes 1.5 million and yet to see who UMASS hires and I think Grant at Dayton is around 1.5-1.6).

Trap - this is meant totally in humor and I know it is a typo - but did not realize we had even changed the name of the school to "Mooney"🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Trap - this is meant totally in humor and I know it is a typo - but did not realize we had even changed the name of the school to "Mooney"🤣
Good catch - Mooney is all over my brain right now with this run. BUT - IF we make it past the sweet 16, there is a good chance we change the name to Mooney. Or maybe the part of campus with the football, baseball, and basketball stadium - is changed to Mooneyville. Statue of Robins on campus - maybe a statue of Mooney at some point?

I would give the players credit for winning these last 5 games. But I don't believe in our coaching staff at all. Being a .556 percent winning percentage coach all time. All time wins at UR is the constant narrative being played. We have been to one sweet 16 run. And two conference tournament titles. How that equals millions blows my mind.

I would let the next two years play out before I backed anything up to Mooney’s house. By then we will know if it should be a Brinks truck or a UHaul truck.
If next year is a sweet sixteen, would it be ok to decide then?

Reactions: urfan1
Everyone is elated and all in on our run. Regardless of views previously expressed by many (myself included), all posters have always been united in their love of the Spiders. Board is now full of positive and hopeful comments as opposed to piss and vinegar. Love it!

After being lost in the desert for too long, Mooney brought us to the Promised Land this year. Kudos to him and his team!...and it is HIS team. They love and respect the guy.

Enjoying the moment immensely, but wary of the old adage, "one swallow does not a summer make." Hope this is just the beginning of Dancing regularly. We shall see.

But lets take this one step at a time...Fry the Friars tomorrow!!! That's all it is about at the moment. Go Spiders!

I'm not negative, because I have confidence in the players. We all want the end result to be the same. I view things different than most.
I'm not negative, because I have confidence in the players. We all want the end result to be the same. I view things different than most. I think this run is a player driven movement.
If this is, as you say, a player-driven movement, then why did they wait until the very end of the season to get their s&&& together?

If this is, as you say, a player-driven movement, then why did they wait until the very end of the season to get their s&&& together?
Absolutely player driven. Mooney didn't suddenly "learn" to be a good coach after years of mediocrity. Anyone who believes that is, well believe what you want.

The super seniors finally realized that they are down to their last chance. Lose and you are done, FOREVER. That is a powerful motivator. Playing for your life so to speak, the sense of urgency.

Part # 2 is that Gilyard has been magnificent! He has been at a different level on the floor, on the bench, and likely in the locker room. Mooney's coaching did not cause him to play up for the last 5-games. It is a mindset.

I have tried to stay out of this Coach Mooney conversation like many of our alumni because it only divides us and we already have a small fan base due to the size of our school. We all want to win consistently and should expect to not just compete but to excel based on the facilities, resources and our long-term commitment to a coach. We have not done that at a level that satisfies many of us including me in the last 10 years. That being said, Mooney has developed a culture at UR that is based on stability and trust with a focus on family and brotherhood. This is the reason these players stayed at Richmond. Like him or not, he is the reason we kept together these seniors which have fueled this exciting tournament run. Moving forward, stability in a program with the ability to maintain players as upperclassmen may be a real key to success in this new transfer portal era. Let's hope this recent success will fuel our administration, coach and players to know Richmond can compete at the highest level and keep us always committed to not just competing but winning championships in all sports.

There has been a lot of discussion about Mooney in different post, but he deserve his own tread. We have had an incredible run over the last 5 games against very high quality teams and Mooney deserves a lot of credit for those wins. His game strategy, substitutions and timing of time outs were outstanding. I am very happy for U of R, the Players, the fan, Mooney and his family.

I have been a big supporter of Mooney ever since the recruiting class of Grant, Sherod and Buckingham. I felt the coaching staff had improved significantly in recruiting that would pay off bigtime long term. The following year we had Gilyard, Cayo and Blake, who had to sit out a year, Then we had Goose, Sal, Crabtree and Grace, followed by Burton. Recruiting misses don't matter as long as you get on average 2 quality players each year.

This improvement in recruiting took 2 year to have an impact and since then we have arguably had one of the best teams in the history of the school. Over the past 3 years we have had the highest 3 year average SRS in the history of the school. We have had 2 NCAA quality teams and the third made it to the NIT. We have achieved this success with a team filled with great players and quality individuals that represent the university well.

Finally, Mooney has created a culture on the team of loyalty to the school, team and coach, which is very unique in college basketball. The picture of TJ with tears in his eyes after the A10 championship game said it all.
Since you gave Mooney so much credit for the previous 5-games, how much responsibility should he have for the disaster against Providence?

I think has to get some credit for the mini-run here if he also has to take the heat for the middling performance during the regular season.

He will be extended. I’m hopeful that something clicked here that led to the adjusted defensive intensity. We will need that going into next season with so much unproven talent likely to get time.

I think has to get some credit for the mini-run here if he also has to take the heat for the middling performance during the regular season.

He will be extended. I’m hopeful that something clicked here that led to the adjusted defensive intensity. We will need that going into next season with so much unproven talent likely to get time.
The key word here is hopeful. We were hopeful 11 years ago. Let’s hope he’s learned something moving forward and history doesn’t repeat itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT