ADVERTISEMENT

Mikkel Tyne - 2023 Signee

Maybe its the size mostly, but watching some highlights reminds me of Kendall Anthony, with more arc on his shot. Will be interesting to see how it develops with him and Trevor Smith. Smith listed at 6 feet, but sdad said he is shorter. Tyne listed at 5'10 but from the looks of video looks a couple inches below that. I do recall my freshman year listening to an interview with Tarrant in the preseason, he was talking about how good Gravelle Craig looked in practice and he was trying to figure out a way to play him with Atkinson without giving up too much on defense.

Maybe its the size mostly, but watching some highlights reminds me of Kendall Anthony, with more arc on his shot. Will be interesting to see how it develops with him and Trevor Smith. Smith listed at 6 feet, but sdad said he is shorter. Tyne listed at 5'10 but from the looks of video looks a couple inches below that. I do recall my freshman year listening to an interview with Tarrant in the preseason, he was talking about how good Gravelle Craig looked in practice and he was trying to figure out a way to play him with Atkinson without giving up too much on defense.
guess he didn't figure it out!

Yep, If I recall Gravelle left freshman year, as did William Herndon - who headed to Umass and led the country in FG% one season - he liked the dunk shot.
Which I always get confused with Marques Cunningham & Charles Stephens a decade later. A least for a moment, whenever I hear the names.

About Herndon, you don't see many 6'3" power forwards...

Stephens got 17 ppg and 8 rpg as a freshman. Thought he would be an all time great - well on way after that year to 2000+ points. Played a handful of games soph year and got kicked off team? Then never played anywhere else? Wild

Cunningham same thing only lesser stats. .

Reactions: Eight Legger
They both ended up at Longwood, which was still D-II.

Stephens was dominant there and was an all-America candidate his senior year but left the team part way through the season after his mom died. I can’t remember how much run Cunningham had there.

Reactions: spiderman
Bigs looks good at line & has the form when set, but outside FTs he's leaning or falling away consistently. Beilein drilled and drilled and drilled on shooting. I don't know how Moon practices or teaches but we don't get or develop enough shooters imo, which is just weird for our style and how many kids shoot the 3.
This is a very good point and observation, it is curious how the shooters we recruit seem to either get worse or not correct bad habits. I was going through Richmond in the summer in the JB era (I believe the NCAA had just started allowing coaches to work with players in the summer), and walked in and observed a session. Think it may have been JB working with Brown, and a few other guards. But was very impressed on the level of detail and correction for the drill. It was shooting three's off of a screen at top of key. But JB was super instructive and demanding. It seems like Bigs could really benefit from that type of instruction.

Reactions: urfan1 and GKiller
is Tyne a great shooter? that's the 1st thing I think about with Anthony. beautiful form shooter.

Reactions: urfan1
This early May signing sure appears to have been crazy important for our '23-24 season given Delonnie's injury. Realizing we have only seen Mikkel in 6 games so far, feel so much better with him as the DeLonnie backfill versus our guard situation last season. Additionally, Mikkel's presence allows Dji to continue in his current critical impactful role versus subbing for DeLonnie.

Tyne has impressed. Through 6 games this year he has already looked better than Jason Nelson looked last year. Still lots of development to happen for both of them, but at their current abilities I’d rather have Tyne 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: UR80sfan
it's working so no need to change anything.

but I probably would have moved Dji in with the starters at off guard. wouldn't really change the total minutes Dji is getting, but maybe that would allow Noyes to get some more. I think we're deeper at forward than guard right now.

but maybe it's best to keep Dji in his role since it's going so well.

Reactions: urfan1
it's working so no need to change anything.

but I probably would have moved Dji in with the starters at off guard. wouldn't really change the total minutes Dji is getting, but maybe that would allow Noyes to get some more. I think we're deeper at forward than guard right now.

but maybe it's best to keep Dji in his role since it's going so well.
I am liking Dji in his role now and don't really want to move him to the off guard role (even though he plays role at times in his current role). Big proponent of don't fix something that isn't broken.

So, as long as Tynne can do what he is doing defensively out there, I think we are OK until D-Lo comes back. I do think there are games coming up immediately where we are going to need more offense that what Tynne can provide, so guys like Roche and even Dji there are opportunities for more minutes, if they can provide the offensive boost in their games.

I like Tyne as a facilitator as much as anyone so if it means King is being freed up a bit more to shoot and gets better looks because Tyne is a natural PG, I’m for it

I also like Dji in his current role. I wouldn’t want him starting just to start but then not getting looks the first 4m of the game when UR will look to get Quinn and King shots. He’ll finish many games and get starter minutes so that is what matters to me.

Tyne has impressed. Through 6 games this year he has already looked better than Jason Nelson looked last year. Still lots of development to happen for both of them, but at their current abilities I’d rather have Tyne 🤷‍♂️
I am still hoping to see a double team of Hunt & Tyne on Nelson for a possession or two in a couple of months...

we could overcome the rebounding if we shot the 3 ball better. That's why we need to focus rebounding more because we can't seem to solve the 3 pt shooting. With system we run & level of athlete we get under Moon we have to shoot it, or change the system/philosophy. We're supposed to have shooters at every position, we now have 2 centers that can't/don't. More than that we seem to recruit way too many shooters with bad fundamentals or we make them worse while they're here - Deion, Cayo, Burton declined. Too many guards that couldn't shoot - Fore, Buck, Nelson - tho I expect Nelson will probably improve. But look at current guys - Dji, Hunt, Bigs - they have poor shooting form imo. Hunt's looked wonky from tape. Bigs looks good at line & has the form when set, but outside FTs he's leaning or falling away consistently. Beilein drilled and drilled and drilled on shooting. I don't know how Moon practices or teaches but we don't get or develop enough shooters imo, which is just weird for our style and how many kids shoot the 3. We really have 2 shooters - Roche and King. Possibly Noyes but the sample size is so small.

This comment came back to my mind tonight. Just had to search "fundamentals" to find it.

But the Dji FT shooting spurred it. I have no idea what is going on w those fundamenta;s, but gotten worse and hard to believe coaches let that happen, but we've seen it b4. Cayo deion others.

And Dji is playing well it's not really about him, bc we have a pattern overall here imo. Dji been a glue guy. More than that. In fact I'd like to see coaches let him cook more with ball in hands halfcourt. But burn the FT form tape. Hope just mental slump but I think Brownstoner said it's fundamentals w arm/elbow & I agree.

It just seems a team and style like Richmond should have very good fundamentals w shooting and we don't. and don't come at me exceptions, of course we;ve had good shooters and exceptions, but it should be better on a macro level.

Yes, this. I think it's a philosophy of letting guys shoot however they feel comfortable, and then just say "get your shots up." Instead of fixing the underlying flaw. I love Dji, he's playing great, but the free throw form is terrible and it's going to continue to be a problem unless he fixes it. Because the coaches aren't going to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT