ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe we need one of these......

64Spider

Team Manager
Feb 9, 2009
"CBS reports that UVA has hired Charlotte assistant coach Orlando Vandross as Director of Basketball Recruiting and Player Development. "

soon, the college basketball bench will have to have a second deck to handle all the personnel needing seats there, already crowded.

Have you seen how many suits are on our bench during home games, there is not enough room for them.

remind me to laugh

+1

We have a head coach, 3 assistants, a trainer, a strength coach, 2 directors of basketball operations and a couple student assistants.

Are any of these roles unnecessary? Why is this thread even a thing?

MO, if you look at most threads and really analyze them, do we need most of them, are they a "thing"? not really but it is fun and with basically nothing happening, school year over, recruiting over other than some random verbals, very slow period, thus even more meaningless threads emerge. will say it is interesting to compare Dick Tarrant's program with the current one, night and day as far as numbers of staff, travel arrangements, money spent, etc. keeping up with the joneses

And as usual, most threads get redirected and sarcasm is misinterpreted.
Just seemed funny to me that Virginia has now created a new coaching title. So now I guess that all their other coaches have no recruiting responsibilities unless directed to do so by the Director of Recruiting. He must also be the second most important behind only the head coach. Wonder if he gets the big bucks too?

Reactions: MolivaManiac
And as usual, most threads get redirected and sarcasm is misinterpreted.
Just seemed funny to me that Virginia has now created a new coaching title. So now I guess that all their other coaches have no recruiting responsibilities unless directed to do so by the Director of Recruiting. He must also be the second most important behind only the head coach. Wonder if he gets the big bucks too?

Noted and agreed.

Reactions: 64Spider
Are there any restrictions on the size of your staff? Could you hire recruits relatives to get their commitment?

i don't think there are limits, i suspect you can hire as your budget permits.

i do suspect there are restrictions in terms of limiting how schools secure commitments. there are lots of examples of recruits who have family members that get hired by their respective college/university, this recently happened at Michigan with a Harbaugh transfer. UR is no stranger to this either, Ole Jer hired Gary DeCesare as an assistant, ostensibly to secure his recruiting of Daon Merritt when both were at St. Raymond's.

Are there any restrictions on the size of your staff? Could you hire recruits relatives to get their commitment?
Memphis hired Keelon Lawson last summer as another assistant coach. He was a Memphis area high school and AAU coach, who son KJ coincidently was #54 in the country in the class of 2015 and who's son Dedric was ranked #8 in the class of 2016 before reclassifying up to the class of 2015 to join his brother at Memphis. There are two more young Lawson's a few years away from college, both superstars as well.
Actually nothing wrong with this, as long as the dad can separate being a dad and a coach.

Don't forget our academic advisor who sits on the bench at all home games.

The well known Mary Feeney traveled with Father John's teams as an academic advisor and tutor.

Last edited:
if you know Michael at all, you have to know you are not even close with that remark.

Reactions: Ulla1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT