ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Reed - 2023 Decommit

NILs are all over the place for tons of players. Essentially Mason's entire roster is on board with running their own NIL collective. No idea how much money they're bringing in for various guys though.

Reed's not going to get some big six-figure payday, but it's certainly possible someone is happy to throw something his way.

I think it is more likely that some new players got involved. But I would not rule out NIL. As I know of from 1st hand experience from my K-state friend, they are fully funding walkons at P6 schools. That means players number 86 at ONE SCHOOL, is getting big NIL bucks. So it is not far fetched for Reed to be getting significant NIL money somewhere.

P5 football money is a different story. I'll be shocked if Reed is getting substantial money somewhere. and I'll be more shocked if GMU's collective is substantial.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I hear you , I think more likely someone got in Reed's ear at a bigger school, but if Nijel Pack - not a surefire NBA guy IMO- is getting $800,000 - I think there is a possibility that someone got in Reeds' ear and NIL money is in the deal. I get the football money, but they are paying 86 (or more) big bucks at EACH school, don't think it is out of the question what I saw one person call the best big man left on the board now could get $50,000.

Same number I was predicting. Reed had a couple p6 offers already, maybe Texas AM or Texas Tech got involved. One of those boosters can peel off 75 grand a year im sure

• Angry
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Screw Matt Reed. Jerk.
Yeah that my initial reaction to and actually posted something along the same lines and then deleted since I remembered that a 17 year old Section 9 row D “committed” to one of the crazy $$$$ Ivy League schools and then for a variety of reasons at the time took the academic money to come to UR and had to tell the Ivy thanks but no thanks. No idea what Matt’s situation is and convinced he was going to be a Damn Good Spider so bummer for us and we’ll see whether it works out for him but glad I changed my mind 30 years ago.

I'm disappointed too and will be curious to see where he ends up and if we can glean the "real story" from that.
I had the same thought that we will eventually be able to figure out what happened. The lack of structure with the NIL agreement is ridiculous and is just another sign of how the NCAA has no control over the revenue sports. In this case however, I am thinking the change of heart is related to a P6 school saying Reed will get a starting spot if he signs with them.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I get this crap happens in football all the time, but hoops once a kid commits most programs respect it. Can't wait to see which program I can root against the next few years.
Colorado, Texas Tech , Baylor are my short list … we will know soon

In this case however, I am thinking the change of heart is related to a P6 school saying Reed will get a starting spot if he signs with them.
I don't think any team guarantees a start.
I'm sure we didn't guarantee anything, but he did appear to have a very strong chance for quick time here at both the 4 and 5. so I don't think it's playing time.

but I agree it's likely bigger school, bigger conference. maybe big enough to outkick his coverage.

Well this sucks. Kid is 17, he changed his mind, it happens. Mooney and company need to move on and find an equal or better recruit. I hope we are past the stage of panic recruits, where we shop at the bargain bin to fill out the roster. I don't want to see us signing some kids with two offers to schools like Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State or some kid that another college coach hooked us up with cause he has hidden potential. Cause that has happened.

Well this sucks. Kid is 17, he changed his mind, it happens. Mooney and company need to move on and find an equal or better recruit. I hope we are past the stage of panic recruits, where we shop at the bargain bin to fill out the roster. I don't want to see us signing some kids with two offers to schools like Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State or some kid that another college coach hooked us up with cause he has hidden potential. Cause that has happened.
problem is he's a big and it's late. we're not going to find an equivalent big out of HS this late, and we need a big in my opinion (VT's alternate opinion is noted). we'll wait for the transfer market, but we don't have a situation like last year with Golden graduating to entice a guy like Quinn. so my expectation right now is not a Reed level replacement recruit.

so yeah, I'm very down about this loss. I had Reed as a long term solution. it's a short term problem though. this opens an ideal spot for a big man ready for early time in the next class. we've got land a really good one.

And remember - it doesn't have to be significant NIL money either. Your talking about 18 year old kids. School A - good school, pretty campus, good basketball program, etc. School B - good school, pretty campus, good basketball program - AND they want to give me 10K or 20K a year in NIL money. Imagine going back to college, being on scholarship AND just having 10K in your pocket each year - you can buy a lot of soda with that 10K.

Imagine going back to college, being on scholarship AND just having 10K in your pocket each year - you can buy a lot of soda with that 10K.
I believe UR gives stipends to athletes above the scholarship.
anyone know how much that is? I think you're allowed to give up to $5,980 but can give less.

I believe UR gives stipends to athletes above the scholarship.
anyone know how much that is? I think you're allowed to give up to $5,980 but can give less.
SO you think we are giving stipends to every student-athlete? Women's lacrosse, soccer, Baseball - every student-athlete is getting a couple thousand dollars each semester?

SO you think we are giving stipends to every student-athlete? Women's lacrosse, soccer, Baseball - every student-athlete is getting a couple thousand dollars each semester?
not sure how it works. I think it's just for all student athletes on full scholarship but I'm sure someone here knows how it works better than me.

When it was launched, UR was paying the stipends for men's and women's basketball. Other sports had the option of providing them, but they came out of that sport's existing scholarship budget. So like for equivalency sports, if you gave the extra $2,000 to somebody, that's $2,000 less you have to spend on other athletes.

Reactions: spiderman
I wonder if the Stipends have TItle IX implications? You have to spend the same amount on men in terms of stipends as woment - I would think it does, but not sure.

Who knows - but chances are if he is willing to decommit before stepping foot on campus, he will also be willing to enter the transfer portal is things don't get well in year 1 - so we still might see him in a Spider Uniform at some point - just might be a year or two.

Reactions: urfan1
Decommits happen, the worst one for us was Lawrence Taylor. Ray Tate said he was ours until Bill Dooley lost a guy and swooped him up at the last second day before signing day. Jim Kelly also considered Richmond among his final choices. Imagine had we gotten both, they would of been teammates! And finally John Hannah as well (Alabama Guard). All 3 are in the NFL HOF.

I wasn't around for any of those. No offense to Matt Reed but I really hope its not as significant as those in hindsight.

Odd that it's not a new player. Wonder what made him change to his other finalist.

Well, he's 101% committed to them. We must have only been 100%.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT