ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas Haugh - 2023 Offer

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Illinois isn't going to let that visit stand without making their own offer...

Chattanooga offer. Honor Huff is an alum of Perkiomen where Haugh is now, and he just followed Earl from VMI to Chatty.

Haugh will be visiting Illinois either this weekend or the next one, and he's considering reclassifying to 2022, which would be an interesting last-minute move. But if a good opportunity is there, I can see why he'd take it.

he's considering reclassifying to 2022, which would be an interesting last-minute move. But if a good opportunity is there, I can see why he'd take it.

would be understandable, but I can't imagine giving up my last year of high school.

He's already had four years of high school, including two at Perkiomen. He had been planning to stick around for an extra prep year to increase his stock, but if Illinois wants him this year, there's no need.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
He's already had four years of high school, including two at Perkiomen. He had been planning to stick around for an extra prep year to increase his stock, but if Illinois wants him this year, there's no need.
ah. that's different. thanks.

Reactions: gcarter52
Haugh taking an unofficial visit to Maryland on Monday. Details on other upcoming visits too, but it's paywalled.

I feel like we've done this often, particularly with PF types.
we identify a very good prospect ... but then he blows up and goes higher.

He can Play! Saw him when he first transferred to his prep school (Perkiomen) and again early last season and again this summer. He has come along leaps and bounds and against better competition too which is really impressive. Way more physically gifted than Walz and coming so fast as a player.

He transferred intending to take an extra year to develop (which was probably great advice) but he has grown his game so much, so fast, its not surprising he has blown up already. Based on AAu scuttlebutt, Still think he's going to be a 2023 but will commit before his high school season. That will give him biggest and best options. And word is their are even bigger programs sniffing around now.

As for us, I'd think we are cooked already unfortunately. He's looking to go Power 5 and will have lots of options there (even more than we see in this thread). We need to sigh these guys up before everyone discovers them, but once they transfer to a prep school, they are all well advised to just wait etc. Very little we can actually do to secure a guy like this!

It varies widely. Obviously we already have a 2023 on board.

Haugh is even more of an unknown since he's been planning to be a 2023 but could still go 2022 if he finds a situation he's happy with and which has a spot.

Looking for confirmation, but there's a claim that Haugh has committed to Florida. I hadn't even seen an offer from them. Man, if Hovde gets Haugh and MoJo takes Bizjack...ugh.

If either or both prove true, it shows what we lost in the coaching turnover.

Come on Gipe. We need you now.

We're probably not winning many recruiting battles against Florida regardless of who's coaching. Bizjack is probably a more fair comparison.

Reactions: urfan1
Haugh to Florida is official...Finkelstein says he'll remain a 2023 rather than moving back up to 2022.

He can Play! Saw him when he first transferred to his prep school (Perkiomen) and again early last season and again this summer. He has come along leaps and bounds and against better competition too which is really impressive. Way more physically gifted than Walz and coming so fast as a player.

He transferred intending to take an extra year to develop (which was probably great advice) but he has grown his game so much, so fast, its not surprising he has blown up already. Based on AAu scuttlebutt, Still think he's going to be a 2023 but will commit before his high school season. That will give him biggest and best options. And word is their are even bigger programs sniffing around now.

As for us, I'd think we are cooked already unfortunately. He's looking to go Power 5 and will have lots of options there (even more than we see in this thread). We need to sigh these guys up before everyone discovers them, but once they transfer to a prep school, they are all well advised to just wait etc. Very little we can actually do to secure a guy like this!
I don't get 'em all right, but I got this one right! Don't think we were ever really in this game once he went to prep school. He was angling for P5 all the way!!

I don't get 'em all right, but I got this one right! Don't think we were ever really in this game once he went to prep school. He was angling for P5 all the way!!
I mean, we only offered a month ago, and he decided to do the prep year many months before that, so you're saying we weren't in it at any point? He liked us well enough to come down for a visit (I know, an unofficial one).

Wonder if maybe Hovde was recruiting him here while at UR, and then it got passed to Gipe but Hovde just continued with it when he got to Florida.

We didn’t offer until well after Hovde left, but it’s possible and maybe even likely we were in touch while he was still on staff. And I hadn’t seen any signs of Florida being interested until very recently, so it’s certainly plausible that Hovde tapped his Rolodex upon arrival at his new gig.

We didn’t offer until well after Hovde left, but it’s possible and maybe even likely we were in touch while he was still on staff. And I hadn’t seen any signs of Florida being interested until very recently, so it’s certainly plausible that Hovde tapped his Rolodex upon arrival at his new gig.
more like he tapped the Gipper's rolodex!

I mean, we only offered a month ago, and he decided to do the prep year many months before that, so you're saying we weren't in it at any point? He liked us well enough to come down for a visit (I know, an unofficial one).
Sorry, didn't mean it quite so literally. But when he went to prep, it was to up his recruiting to go P5. He didn't know how it would all work out, so he continued discussions with us (and others I am sure). Once the P5s came calling he had what he wanted. So I was saying our chances really went out when he went to prep because it showed he wanted P5, but as you say, it still had to play out, so we were still active with him I am sure. This is not a recruiting fail to me at all - - - the kid was willing to go to great lengths to get P% - - - we aren't P5. Not a fight we can win when the kid is this set.

It appears Hovde was indeed the lead on him at UF, although Haugh thinks he was at USF with Golden last year?

“The visit went awesome, [assistant coach Kevin] Hovde and coach Golden made it feel like home when I came and Florida was a dream school so it was an easy decision,” Haugh said. “I got some looks in the spring from some high-major schools and Florida jumped on board and came to see me play and I think I had like 30 points or something. Right when they texted me, I knew it was the school I wanted to be at.”
“Just talking to coach Hovde and coach Golden, I know they had a great season last year at San Francisco and they talked a lot about that,” he said. “I know coach Golden is a younger coach and I really like that because he clearly has a great mindset towards the game. Just the way he describes practice and the way I could fit in with the team, it was perfect.”

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT