ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Robinson - 2024 Signee

Don't forget about Goose. Lol

I'm shocked he hasn't taken my bait yet. :)

Tasty bait!!

But um yeah Goose is in my Top 5 athlete of Mooney era. Bang. But now I'm ducking from the shrapnel coming my way.

That kind of thing is pretty subjective, so heck go with top 3 if you want. Garrett K Smith there. Also Khwan Fore and Burton right there. Goose there. Top 5 in no order per GKiller 10 second analytics. But it does always amaze me how some understate Goose athleticism. Strong and athletic. Could jump too if that's your thing. U don't get the assignment to match up with a teams 1 or 2 top players/athletes for basically 5 years straight without being that kind of guy. 97 eye test - we got a job on the CFB committe for u.

Last edited:
Respect you Spider basketball fanatics. Consider myself an adjunct member at best.

Obvious many are better versed in basketball fundamentals and far more aware of the broader MBB landscape than I.

Serious question...Garrett as one of 5 all time MBB athletes? Can't see this. Loved the guy, but seemed like a one trick pony (blocks) to me. Good at that one task, but didn't add much beyond it.

What am I missing?

Reactions: GKiller
Respect you Spider basketball fanatics. Consider myself an adjunct member at best.

Obvious many are better versed in basketball fundamentals and far more aware of the broader MBB landscape than I.

Serious question...Garrett as one of 5 all time MBB athletes? Can't see this. Loved the guy, but seemed like a one trick pony (blocks) to me. Good at that one task, but didn't add much beyond it.

What am I missing?

Keep in mind it was Mooney era not all-time MBB athletes.

I do think sometimes ppl focus on run/strength/jump w athletes and I think hand/eye and instincts r an exceptionally big part of that too. Garrett meets first part no question. But no real issue with your question bc ok he was somewhat a 1 trick pony. It is subjective as I mentioned.

For me with Garrett I list him bc we've really never had any another player like him in so long. Ododa I guess was closest. But Garrett was a huge difference maker down the stretch in NCAA years and we relied on that defensive athleticism so he gets extra points to me (ncaa). We did that offense defense subbing with him and Geriot a ton after Geriot injury. It's harder to play good D, especially here at Richmond. And he had 14 blocks in 1 game, a UR and A10 record, and I think 2nd all time NCAA. That alone meets the criteria, my criteria.

usually we think "high flyer" when ranking hoops athletes, but some smaller guys are freakish athletes too.
Gilyard wasn't going to dunk at 5'8" but he's a heck of an athlete.

Goose was a good athlete, but I never saw him move like Dji is moving this year. Dji's probably a top 5 athlete in the Mooney era. Tyne might be close too. heck ... Harris and Hunt are very athletic as well.

usually we think "high flyer" when ranking hoops athletes, but some smaller guys are freakish athletes too.
Gilyard wasn't going to dunk at 5'8" but he's a heck of an athlete.

Goose was a good athlete, but I never saw him move like Dji is moving this year. Dji's probably a top 5 athlete in the Mooney era. Tyne might be close too. heck ... Harris and Hunt are very athletic as well.

Yeah if u make NBA honestly u should be on that list too. & Kendall Anthony was athletic & strong.

Goose gets dinged for being from Finland I guess...what a shock. idk where those UNI guys would rank against our team of athletes after making us look silly on D.

Yep, Stapleton was crazy quick and had one of the better dunks in NIT game. Tarrant era. Blair was a stud athlete. Never forget the ISO with Steve Hood at the foul line, broke his ankles and posterized someone else. As great a leaper K Smith was, he did not have the handles to pull off that move.

Reactions: GKiller
And vice versa on many occasions.
I started to add that when I originally posted but felt it did not follow the thread.

As I've posted on here before my coaching experience is limited to youth league, about 12 years, I've said before if I had to pick my top 5 players the first one I would pick every time would be a slow, short, over weight kid that could not jump. The kid had the heart of a lion and refused to lose. I recall we reeled off about 8 wins in a row to start the season, then lost a close game. I found him after the game sitting on the bench by himself in tears.

Clarification on the Like. Understand your point perfectly and agree.

Wasn't Liking your last sentence. Seen this many times before in coaching youth sports. It is a part of growing, but needs to be handled deftly. No doubt you did.

I started to add that when I originally posted but felt it did not follow the thread.

As I've posted on here before my coaching experience is limited to youth league, about 12 years, I've said before if I had to pick my top 5 players the first one I would pick every time would be a slow, short, over weight kid that could not jump. The kid had the heart of a lion and refused to lose. I recall we reeled off about 8 wins in a row to start the season, then lost a close game. I found him after the game sitting on the bench by himself in tears.
I'm still sorry I let you down coach 😔

Keep in mind it was Mooney era not all-time MBB athletes.

I do think sometimes ppl focus on run/strength/jump w athletes and I think hand/eye and instincts r an exceptionally big part of that too. Garrett meets first part no question. But no real issue with your question bc ok he was somewhat a 1 trick pony. It is subjective as I mentioned.

For me with Garrett I list him bc we've really never had any another player like him in so long. Ododa I guess was closest. But Garrett was a huge difference maker down the stretch in NCAA years and we relied on that defensive athleticism so he gets extra points to me (ncaa). We did that offense defense subbing with him and Geriot a ton after Geriot injury. It's harder to play good D, especially here at Richmond. And he had 14 blocks in 1 game, a UR and A10 record, and I think 2nd all time NCAA. That alone meets the criteria, my criteria.
This is a tough question and no right answers. But I guess if I had to give a Top 5 Mooney MBB athletes, my list would include: Kevin Smith, Burton, Garrett, Kendall Anthony, and maybe Martel.

Sorry, never saw Goose as some super athlete in games, in fact, I don't remember any specific play where I was like wow after Goose did something. On my list above, those guys all gave me multiple "wows" during their career. Subjective, I know but it it what I am going with.

Reactions: urfan1 and BOSRIC
I'm gonna go ahead and put him as #1 on our athletic ability list after the first minute he plays at UR. These are unreal. If he's 6'6" the guy he jumped over is like 6'8". The in-game dunk, if you pause the video as he's at his peak, his hand is near the top of the square.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT