ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Becht - Southern NH Transfer - Visit ~4/13

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
We're getting a visit this weekend from Matt Becht out of D-II Southern New Hampshire. This would be his sixth year total...he played a handful of games in two seasons at Mount St. Mary's then three seasons at SNHU. Averaged 16.4 ppg and 44.8% from deep this season.

He led D-II with 129 threes on the year (2nd in makes per game at 3.69) and was 8th in 3PT shooting percentage.

He's also a 90% FT shooter.

SNHU made it to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament, losing to eventual runner-up Nova Southeastern.

Becht was first team all NE10 the past two seasons and was NE10 conference tournament MOP this year.

This would be my fear. A jump from D2 to A-10 ball is a big jump. We've seen Roche struggle going from a lower level D-1 program to A-10. Athletically, he may be a liability out there.
yep. gets his shot off fine, but can he defend at this level? maybe he can.
we were good this year because we played really strong perimeter defense.

Reactions: urfan1
If Jason gets his stroke back, add Becht, can you say Oakland?

I do agree that we need to make sure our defense is solid. this guy is quite intriguing as he seems to be a next level shooter. I think you could take him on if you can get some guys at the other positions. But we do need to replace Bigs and Dji, who were both very good, long athletic defenders.

I do agree that we need to make sure our defense is solid. this guy is quite intriguing as he seems to be a next level shooter. I think you could take him on if you can get some guys at the other positions. But we do need to replace Bigs and Dji, who were both very good, long athletic defenders.
I get the feeling transfer portal visits are different from high school visits.
I don't think every high school visit ends in an offer.
but I think in high-speed portal dating ... every kid visiting is offered. teams have seen what they want to see, then they invite.
just a question of if the kid takes it or not.

If Jason gets his stroke back, add Becht, can you say Oakland?
I knew someone was gonna bring up that kid. I think these players are great when they are on, but as with Roche, if they aren't bombing 3's with regularity, they are a liability in other aspects of the game.

Tend to agree sman, when you bring in portal guy you are trying to get him. Also saw Va Tech reached out. Though we are not sure level of athletic ability, he is listed a 6'4 and looks pretty quick with the ball anyway. From that article seems like has some leadership qualities and is a team guy - so has that going for him.

Looks a little like the kid (err man) from Oakland who lit up KY in the tourney

We need all the shooters we can get, always. I like his form a lot, especially the verticality he gets on his jumper. King had that and it allowed him to get more looks.

Roche’s shot looks great in person, so smooth and great form. Do feel like these days you owe it to your team to get your shooters minimum 5 3PFGA per game, with more being perfectly fine.

Fewer long 2s. Get the bigs to operate physically at the rim.

VCU brought in that Deliverance kid from D2 a few years ago, and if he could be somewhat productive, I imagine Becht could be too.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
VCU brought in that Deliverance kid from D2 a few years ago, and if he could be somewhat productive, I imagine Becht could be too.

I had to look it up, he did have 1 season of D1 hoops under his belt before they brought him in, albeit low low major but still D1 nonetheless.

I am always going to be leery about someone making the jump straight from D2 to the A10 but as a lottery ticket type player, probably couldn't hurt and probably won't produce below what we are getting from Roche already.

I hope a big effort on someone's part this offseason is fixing Roche. He didn't just forget how to shoot and play basketball. He had one of the best freshman seasons in the country a few years ago, and there's a reason some P5 teams wanted him. He could and should be a big part of our offense next year.

get shooters shots.

not to beat the deadest (well maybe 5th deadest) horse, but the UR offense runs best for guards who can create their own looks and bigs who have inside/outside versatility. Roche gets looks but I do wish we'd just deviate to get him some specific shots a few times a game outside the offense. But he has to be on the court enough too.

Hopefully he has a Dji type breakout year where we all say we saw the potential, glad it's being realized.

Not to derail this thread but like Dji in past seasons, seems like Roche's biggest issue this season was injuries. He had mystery injury all off-season, per sdad. So missed an entire off-season of working on his game, strength etc. Seemed to take awhile to get re-acclimated, the injured again. Forgetting the injury but my recollection was something that would take some rest and rehab. I do agree that I would like to see a few set plays run for him. Again this is where a proven assistant in this area could help. All year I would hear about how Hurley was running the best offensive sets in college. I read recent article that basically said one of assistants he hired introduced most of that. Boyden has the d on lock down. Our O has been pretty good but too reliant on system and hero ball, which other teams were able to lock down at the most critical junctures this season.

I hope a big effort on someone's part this offseason is fixing Roche. He didn't just forget how to shoot and play basketball. He had one of the best freshman seasons in the country a few years ago, and there's a reason some P5 teams wanted him. He could and should be a big part of our offense next year.

Totally agree. Honestly, it's a bit jarring to see that there was fringe NBA talk about him prior to his transfer and then to see how downhill things have gone here. First things first let's hope he can stay healthy and have a good offseason!

I'd like to say that I had something to do with this, I @ Gipe on twitter about this guy 3 days ago and he liked it hahaha. Kidding, I know I had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: spider23
If he was spotted in a boot recently then he's not 100% at least, my comment was with the expectation that at some point this off season he will be all systems go and can hopefully build off that.
Wait, Roche is in a boot too?!?

I can't keep up with all this bootiness.

Would be an interesting stat if anyone could find it out there. I wonder how many transfers last year move up or down a division (D2 to D1 and then D1 to D2 - and of course include D3) and what the result was. Not to say it can't be done as there have been many success stories both ways - just curious how many times this occurs in the portal. Guys moving whole divisions.

Davidson just got a big-time commitment from the same D-II conference as Becht.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT