ADVERTISEMENT

Road Warriors

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
As disappointed as we've been at not being able to get back over the NCAA hump, this is a pretty incredible stat from the game notes for tomorrow:

"Over the last three seasons, Richmond is 20-8 in true road games. That’s the sixth-best road winning percentage (.714) in Division I over that span. Richmond trails Gonzaga (20-1, .952), Baylor (20-5, .800), Belmont (30-10, .750), San Diego St (18-6, .750) and Vermont (22-8, .733)."

What's the highest ranked team we beat on the road in those 20 victories, I'd like to know?

On an end-of-season NET basis, it would be #57 Rhode Island two seasons ago. Kentucky at #61 last year would be a close second. #75 Davidson two years ago is our only other Q1 road win.

Our strategy of trying to get P6 teams on neutral courts has certainly helped our road record, as has the A-10 being down a bit.

Reactions: Eight Legger
No one tell any of the decision makers those numbers. That would give mooney a damn 20 year extension.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
On an end-of-season NET basis, it would be #57 Rhode Island two seasons ago. Kentucky at #61 last year would be a close second. #75 Davidson two years ago is our only other Q1 road win.

Our strategy of trying to get P6 teams on neutral courts has certainly helped our road record, as has the A-10 being down a bit.
Thanks! It is impressive to have that record on the road, regardless of who we've played. But yeah, it seemed to me that most of our road wins have been against mediocre or bad teams and we've mostly lost to good teams. But 20-8 is still 20-8.

Yes, #108 Wofford has been our third "toughest" road game so far, trailed closely by #110 UNI. We lost to #53 SLU and #93 Drake.

So tomorrow at #102 GMU and at #106 Bona to close out the regular season are shaping up to be right there in that same range as Wofford and UNI. Only remaining opportunity for a substantially better road win is at #76 VCU.

As disappointed as we've been at not being able to get back over the NCAA hump, this is a pretty incredible stat from the game notes for tomorrow:

"Over the last three seasons, Richmond is 20-8 in true road games. That’s the sixth-best road winning percentage (.714) in Division I over that span. Richmond trails Gonzaga (20-1, .952), Baylor (20-5, .800), Belmont (30-10, .750), San Diego St (18-6, .750) and Vermont (22-8, .733)."
Pretty crazy stat. Our home and neutral site record is probably further down the list.

And those teams have probably combined for 10-15 NCAA appearances over that time.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
It’s a good metric had we been in the ncaa discussion last year or this one, alas we are not so it’s kind of hollow.

also I prefer “comeback kids” (adults)

Kentucky was mediocre that year.

They played a super tough schedule...crazy that they were 1–6 in OOC. Pulled it together a bit to finish almost .500 in SEC play but still ended up only 9–16.

Tempting to say they really benefited from the NET formula, but other ranking systems had them even higher...Torvik at 47 and KenPom at 49.

I’m going to keep banging this drum for the rest of the year: our 17th year head coach with the MOST EXPERIENCED TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF DIVISION I COLLEGE BASKETBALL played 85 minutes of even basketball against a team that was 11-10, has a new head coach and mostly new players. And was lucky as shit not to get swept.

END THIS MISTAKE NOW.

As long as Queally is having fun with Mooney, he's not going anywhere. He's the Puppet Master. The Don. The finger that stirs the drink. You name it, Queally is in charge. And if he says no one touches Mooney, Mooney won't be touched.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT