ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi impact

Ironically, Radford and StFU appear to be classic "RPI Booster" games in an era when RPI is less relevant.

Check this out...

Lunardi literally moved us down 2 spots from 8 hrs ago! Nobody has finished tonight & hardly any games & he just had Texas & miss St jump us. He updated it this morning 8 hrs ago! Lol. We r now 4th out in his bracket. That tool is on our payroll. Guess he’s getting the memo on Rutgers & Cincy a bit. But clearly not us...anyone surprised?

I heard John Hardt’s reaction was to say “well at least he has Iowa in”. Then he went for seconds of meat & potatoes. True story.

"An NC State win tonight at Duke would lift the Wolfpack above Cincinnati for the last at-large spot"

I wonder if a 15 point loss will drop them though?

Reactions: plydogg and VT4700
Probably not. If you move teams around during the day, maybe you shouldn't have released a bracket this morning, Lunardi? A-10 had some good out of conference wins by multiple teams, and is I think the 8th rated conference in the net. Yet, we might only get one team in? It just doesn't add up. But, Lunardi has no impact on the committee. Let's just keep winning.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Probably not. If you move teams around during the day, maybe you shouldn't have released a bracket this morning, Lunardi? A-10 had some good out of conference wins by multiple teams, and is I think the 8th rated conference in the net. Yet, we might only get one team in? It just doesn't add up. But, Lunardi has no impact on the committee. Let's just keep winning.
He doesn’t have an impact on the committee. But there was a time when people thought the committee had an impact on him. He would update 90 minutes before the selection show, when no games were finishing. And that update would be correct.

Lunardi moved us down another spot from yesterday. He’s so good at what he does I think we should cover health benefits for him too.

Looks like he moved Wichita st down to 1st out knocking us down but I’m not sure who he moved in.

Lunardi moved us down another spot from yesterday. He’s so good at what he does I think we should cover health benefits for him too.

Looks like he moved Wichita st down to 1st out knocking us down but I’m not sure who he moved in.
I'm going to guess Providence or Arkansas.

Hmm. Utah State? I think our resident propagandist may have mentioned that was one of the teams that differed in Palm vs Lundardi, but now they are in both.

I think he put Tulsa in there, and took Wichita State out. So that is why we moved down one.

I think he put Tulsa in there, and took Wichita State out. So that is why we moved down one.

Good catch that's it. They are now in because he puts the team in first in their conference as an AQ placeholder. Remarkably that is Tulsa, but their OOC was ridiculously weak & lost 5 of those in OOC so they have no chance. That spot will come back. But so many bid steal conferences out there we need to avoid.

Chop - re: Utah St. Lunardi moved them out Tues night after Texas won. This was updated today after Tulsa moved last night into first in AAC.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Good catch that's it. They are now in because he puts the team in first in their conference as an AQ placeholder. Remarkably that is Tulsa, but their OOC was ridiculously weak & lost 5 of those in OOC so they have no chance. That spot will come back. But so many bid steal conferences out there we need to avoid.

Chop - re: Utah St. Lunardi moved them out Tues night after Texas won. This was updated today after Tulsa moved last night into first in AAC.
Adding more parity (yay), UConn took out Houston. I half-expect to see UConn in Lunardi's bracket tomorrow.

Impact. Lunardi impact. Can it be any worse? I’ve tried to prepare u guys but it’s worse than imaginable.

A fireable offense by John Hardt tbh. Overcome his ineptitude Spiders.

Lunardi got UNI still above us. We have better schedule. Better league. Better numbers. Similar best win - colorado vs Wisco. Less bad losses. We don’t have a 21 pt loss to Drake in a conf tourney. We don’t have two non d1 games that should be a negative over neutral.

But what we do have is Lunardi.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I don't get the Northern Iowa love at all considering how their season ended.

I will give them a little credit with their OOC performance, though it was only 10 games. They have a couple chips that we don't have in the OOC - their win on a neutral site over South Carolina and they don't have a bad loss (we have Radford).

Our version of their South Carolina (RPI 65) game was on the the loss @ Alabama (RPI 72). It's also unfortunate that Vandy (RPI 209) and BC (RPI 164) didn't end up being better wins for us from a NET/RPI perspective.

Of course we have the loss to Radford (RPI 140) but that is nothing compared to some of the conference losses they experienced.

Their conference results stink compared to us. Not only is the MVC a worse conference but they lost the same number of regular season games and lost to a bad Drake (RPI 131) team by 21 points in the quarterfinals.

You can actually start with the quality wins. They don't have a single win nearly as good as Duquesne or URI. Out biggest issue in conference is that we had the double games against lower end teams like GW, GMU, and LaSalle.

But just look at their 4regular season losses compared to ours. Just using RPI because it is easier they lost to 240, 169, 108, and 80 compared to ours of 90, 81, 42, and 2. It's night and day difference.

Why are you using RPI? But, I agree we have a much better resume than them. They also have a win over Colorado, but I think only 3 top 100 wins total with some ugly losses, and one of those wins is over NET 98 Loyola in OT. So only 2 wins better than that. I don't see any chance they get a bid.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanw19
I don't get the Northern Iowa love at all considering how their season ended.

I will give them a little credit with their OOC performance, though it was only 10 games. They have a couple chips that we don't have in the OOC - their win on a neutral site over South Carolina and they don't have a bad loss (we have Radford).

Our version of their South Carolina (RPI 65) game was on the the loss @ Alabama (RPI 72). It's also unfortunate that Vandy (RPI 209) and BC (RPI 164) didn't end up being better wins for us from a NET/RPI perspective.

Of course we have the loss to Radford (RPI 140) but that is nothing compared to some of the conference losses they experienced.

Their conference results stink compared to us. Not only is the MVC a worse conference but they lost the same number of regular season games and lost to a bad Drake (RPI 131) team by 21 points in the quarterfinals.

You can actually start with the quality wins. They don't have a single win nearly as good as Duquesne or URI. Out biggest issue in conference is that we had the double games against lower end teams like GW, GMU, and LaSalle.

But just look at their 4regular season losses compared to ours. Just using RPI because it is easier they lost to 240, 169, 108, and 80 compared to ours of 90, 81, 42, and 2. It's night and day difference.
The MVC is very impressive.:rolleyes:
Their semi-final games today are 4 vs 8 and 6 vs 7.
Woof.

Blind Test:

Team A
23 Wins
1 Quad 1 Win
3 Quad 2 Wins
3 Quad 3 Losses
NET 47
1st Place Regular Season in a traditionally 1-Bid league
Lost by 21 to #151 (neutral) yesterday

Team B
24 Wins (with potential for more)
3 Quad 1 Wins
3 Quad 2 Wins
1 Quad 3 Loss
NET 37
2nd Place Regular Season in a traditional multi-bid league
Beat #96 by 11 (away) yesterday

Lunardi: "Hmm....Team B looks more like an NIT team than Team A"

Why are you using RPI? But, I agree we have a much better resume than them. They also have a win over Colorado, but I think only 3 top 100 wins total with some ugly losses, and one of those wins is over NET 98 Loyola in OT. So only 2 wins better than that. I don't see any chance they get a bid.

I used RPI because the website is much better than the NCAA one for NET. I wasn't sure if the Warren Nolan site was accurate and I didn't have much time to figure that out.

How Lunardi handled UNI tells you everything about him. They were in yesterday a.m. and night before that, well after UNI blowout loss to Drake. Documented here and elsewhere UNI was last team in. Then yesterday before any games were played he moved them like 6 spots back. They are now 8th team OUT. Well what happened? Again no new results were in or even started. I'll tell you what happened he realized that other bracketologists and pundits were counting UNI out and realized he was out on island on that pick and better reverse himself quickly.

Even if you factor in results - most teams on bubble LOST - how would they go from last team IN to 8th team out when seemingly all the results benefited them. We knew UNI shouldn't be in, and said as much, yet Lunardi couldn't figure it out himself, had to be shown by others and then make the switch.

Anyway just example of what we're dealing with. I'm not even going to get into fact he has Indiana UCLA Texas & others above us.

Now if he's right on those teams, big hat no cattle Hardt - and really anyone else responsible for that hire, Mooney had to sign off too - should never be let back into Robins Center.

He even went on the air - on ESPNRichmond - and talked about how UNI losing was the worst thing for all the bubble teams, including Richmond, and that moved them all down a rung.
I guess when nobody else did that, he realized he goofed!
Or maybe he finally noticed that UNI did not, in fact, have 25 D1 wins.

To be fair, almost everyone has Indiana above us. Which makes Archie look like even more of a doofus, since the bracketologists almost unanimously have them in with a worse NET than any team that made it last year.

You guys who think we're rough on Mooney should get a load of what HoosierNation thinks of him.

He even went on the air - on ESPNRichmond - and talked about how UNI losing was the worst thing for all the bubble teams, including Richmond, and that moved them all down a rung.
I guess when nobody else did that, he realized he goofed!
Or maybe he finally noticed that UNI did not, in fact, have 25 D1 wins.

To be fair, almost everyone has Indiana above us. Which makes Archie look like even more of a doofus, since the bracketologists almost unanimously have them in with a worse NET than any team that made it last year.

You guys who think we're rough on Mooney should get a load of what HoosierNation thinks of him.

Good point on radio. That's right you brought it up. Wish I could have heard it, maybe it is recorded for perpetuity. Unlike his bracket picks which he does hide partially - his last 4 byes, 4 in, 4 out, next 4 out. Meaning go to any old archived bracket of his and those 16 teams are only the current ones. Same on every old bracket. So you no longer see who he had in those spots, only changes visible are what's in the actual bracket. Hello ESPN it is 2020, why can't those be recorded too, it makes absolutely no sense except I don't think Lunardi wants them to be seen.

I did hear him on radio with Hardt and Philly Bob this spring/summer and it was a radio slurpfest of epic proportions. It could have been the 3 Stooges. And you got gems like "you can't schedule Duke 12 times". So what you're telling me about UNI radio bit is not surprising at all. LOL what a backtrack.

Who in their right mind would even think to hire this guy and pay him all that cash?

Palm is way more decisive. Lunardi still has 24 teams on the bubble. Palm has 14.

Purdue - OUT
Oklahoma - IN

Here is the Indiana coach talking Lunardi....

He specifically said Joe Lunardi and Joe going back to trash can. Just not part of that clip but widely reported.

Look he’s not wrong on lunardi but Archie got his own issues. The whole p6 power conference bias is truly in full effect there. Look how indignant he is when someone suggests they're considered on bubble. Hello u r the 11 seed in your conference! Net 60. Yet Archie thinks that should mean 8 or 9 seed in ncaas.

No surprise he stresses SOR so much there too since good in that metric. Guess what SOR another metric Spiders rank well in too not far behind IU.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Also for all of the complaining about hiring Lunardi to help out and wasting money. If the $10,000 number is correct that is what, about 1/6th of one students tuition this year? It seems such an odd thing to have spent this much time and energy freaking out about. And if we make the tourney as an at large? Then will you all change your mind and say Lunardi was a great hire? Food for thought...

Reactions: VT4700
Also for all of the complaining about hiring Lunardi to help out and wasting money. If the $10,000 number is correct that is what, about 1/6th of one students tuition this year? It seems such an odd thing to have spent this much time and energy freaking out about. And if we make the tourney as an at large? Then will you all change your mind and say Lunardi was a great hire? Food for thought...

That’s pretty obtuse. Can I say that? Not gonna call u biased I know u despise that even tho we all have biases.

One we don’t know what paid. Heck one long time poster thought it was 100k for 3 years. 300k. Now that is cra cra but I understand it to be more than 10k from those in know. But number close enough. That ain’t chump change either when AD dept has own budgets outside academics and we put football team on long ass bus rides.

Also say obtuse because we talking millions really. NCAA units. If it costs us that it’s immeasurably high cost.

I don’t think I have to answer your last question. It was a failure of a hire no matter what for variety of documented reasons. We have a great team & should already be in imo.

Think I’d put a big wager that Lunardi is not rehired again but won’t put anything past pretentious Hardt.

That’s pretty obtuse. Can I say that? Not gonna call u biased I know u despise that even tho we all have biases.

One we don’t know what paid. Heck one long time poster thought it was 100k for 3 years. 300k. Now that is cra cra but I understand it to be more than 10k from those in know. But number close enough. That ain’t chump change either when AD dept has own budgets outside academics and we put football team on long ass bus rides.

Also say obtuse because we talking millions really. NCAA units. If it costs us that it’s immeasurably high cost.

I don’t think I have to answer your last question. It was a failure of a hire no matter what for variety of documented reasons. We have a great team & should already be in imo.

Think I’d put a big wager that Lunardi is not rehired again but won’t put anything past pretentious Hardt.
He’ll probably be back because we can’t afford the buyout.

Reactions: GKiller

WYWWTgJ.gif

Reactions: GKiller and plydogg

What if we make the dance and our around 80 OOC SOS is part of the reason why?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT