ADVERTISEMENT

Lobo gone to Air Force

Well what class and commitment is that to join as a OC and within 30 days leave for another position.
Now you have to bring someone else in at last minute before Spring Practice, teach the system and not
good timing leading into next season.

I heard from some WF fans that he is a nice guy, but they were disappointed that he went from a wide
open offense to a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. I am disappointed in a former Air Force cadet not
living up to a commitment knowing the importance of the position he was hired for.

don't like it but at least a step up and to his alma mater. would be more ticked off it was to new mexico or some school like that. think that we should let Rick and MO take over the duties for spring ball and see how it goes.

Left us holding the bag after only 1.5 months.Guess Winston Salem was a bit like hell,whereas UR was a short term purgatory..In any case,I wish he and his family all the best.Sorry we didn't get to know ya.It appears his duties at AF are not defined.Ironic that Mooney couldn't wait to get out of there and take the head job here.

This post was edited on 2/12 6:16 PM by 32counter

CM, an east coast guy, lobo, an air force grad, makes sense for both, both a move up.

AF Head coach just signed a 5 year deal through 2019 after a 10-3 season.Lobo and his young family will hop on that 5 year deal which is a big comfort factor to him.Security along with familiarity is a good thing for some people.

This post was edited on 2/12 8:14 PM by 32counter

Calhoun inks 5 year deal

Not a classy move. But based upon his resume, I'.m not totally upset as I was not impressed with coaching philosophy viz a vis "todays" game. Hope we can up with a qualified replacement at this late date.

Lobo seems like a good guy, but I too wasn't thrilled after reading about his philosophy. It is late in the game to be looking for an OC. Does it seem like a good fit to promote Charlie Fisher? Any opinions on Fisher as OC?

Sorry, but what a D-bag, that's such a classless move. I hope he loses his job within a year. Good riddance!

Better him leave now a month into his tenure than at the end of the season so then we would have to install yet another OC with a different philosophy. His quick arrival and departure barely leaves a dent on the program, players didn't even have time to learn his offensive playbook and tendencies.

I don't begrudge him for moving on for a better opportunity. More money, more job security, going to a place that you are familiar with. It's life, it happens.

97 I am sorry it is life but it is also something that our society seems to have forgotten today and that is commitment. When you think someone does you a favor by taking you away from a DII situation that was your only option when you lost your job, that you would have some loyalty to the coach for doing that.

If UR paid some moving expenses or upfront money for him, I hope they are getting that money back. He is not a under 30 year old that is going to change jobs 3-4 times after he leaves college till he finds the right one. May be he went to Rocco and said his heart was with Air Force and Rocco encouraged him to go. Who knows. But society today has become so transient in the work place, that is has become a standard. One national manufacturer I represent, has a VP of Sales that has had 7 different jobs in 8 years, go figure, but I can see why he has had so many positions: nobody wants him to stay very long.

I think it stinks. How many weeks was he on the job before he was talking to Air Force? He didn't get the job overnight.
I'd love to hear a candid response from Rocco, but I know he has too much class.

Let me see- 1. Go home 2. To a job you love 3. Have years of security for your family.

How do you say no?

When he coached with Grobe at Wake Forest that staff had 3-4 former Air Force guys. This doesn't surprise me.

had the pleasure of speaking with Coach Lobo for a period of time at the signing party and found him to be quite pleasant and very excited to be at UR. I believe we lost a good one. I also think this must have been a recent and quick search and hire. I wish him nothing but the best at his alma mata -- GOOD LUCK Coach Lobo! Now in exchange get UR a huge payout to go play the AFA in one of our limited D-1 games.

He's a great guy, no doubt about that. I just don't think he is a great coord based on the years I kmew him at Wake.

Actually we play all D1 games. I think you are referring to our one-per-year FBS game.

Unfortunately many people assume (incorrectly) that FCS means D2, URFan1 I don't point this criticism towards you! You are a good guy and a great Spider fan!

FRS
Go Spiders!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT