ADVERTISEMENT

Kendall Anthony Video

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Saw the video the athletic department put together for Kendall reflecting on his career and it got me wondering.

There is no denying Kendall was a great player for UR during his 4 years, his statistics are very good and if you saw him play, you always saw him bring a great deal of energy and enthusiasm to the game and the team.

But he probably has to go down as one of the greatest UR players to never make an NCAA tourney. Based on our history of making the tourney usually almost every 4 years, most guys got to an NCAA tourney - either early or late in their career. There was a period of 7 years in the 90's that I can't speak too - but just think it stings a little bit he was unable to get to an NCAA tourney it was otherwise a great career.

Just wondering if anyone else can name some great UR players who never made the NCAA tourney.

Thanks for posting the video but the premise of your thread, frankly, is pretty insulting to Kendall.

How about this, who are some of our greatest players that have never won at RPI? Kendall has.

Saw the video the athletic department put together for Kendall reflecting on his career and it got me wondering.

There is no denying Kendall was a great player for UR during his 4 years, his statistics are very good and if you saw him play, you always saw him bring a great deal of energy and enthusiasm to the game and the team.

But he probably has to go down as one of the greatest UR players to never make an NCAA tourney. Based on our history of making the tourney usually almost every 4 years, most guys got to an NCAA tourney - either early or late in their career. There was a period of 7 years in the 90's that I can't speak too - but just think it stings a little bit he was unable to get to an NCAA tourney it was otherwise a great career.

Just wondering if anyone else can name some great UR players who never made the NCAA tourney.

Since the 64 team NCAA format we have had a 7 year stretch, two 6 year stretches and a 4 year stretch without going to the tournament. That means there have been 11 classes of the 30 since the tournament expanded that did not make it (37%). Two class under Mooney never made it to the NCAAs so far, his first class and Kendall's class (20%).

Since the 64 team NCAA format we have had a 7 year stretch, two 6 year stretches and a 4 year stretch without going to the tournament. That means there have been 11 classes of the 30 since the tournament expanded that did not make it (37%). Two class under Mooney never made it to the NCAAs so far, his first class and Kendall's class (20%).
Actually wasn't it a 6, two 5s, and a 4?

I have had 5 season tickets for many years and I have brought many guest to UR games the past 4 years. To a person everyone fell in love with Kendall. They were impressed and amazed at his energy and skill level. Many were fans his whole career and followed his stats and came to games on there own to see him play. No one since Kevin Anderson has commanded that kind of following or crowd appeal.

One of Kendall's biggest accolades is that many RPI fans have mentioned how glad they are that he has graduated and has no elegibility left!!

Actually wasn't it a 6, two 5s, and a 4?

My counting could be off.

Since 85 (When the tournament became 64 teams) we have gone in:
88 (missed 1 year)
90 (missed 1 year)
98 (missed 6 years)
04 (missed 5 years)
10 (missed 5 years)
- (missed 4 years)

So yeah, I guess you are right. That would mean only 8 of 30 classes haven't gone to the NCAAs (27%).

my favorite Spider ever, and I'm sure many agree. TJ's right on his heels though. two guys like that is why I enjoyed this season so much even without making the tournament.
Kendall gave everything he had. he made himself the best he could be, and did everything he could to make those around him the best they could be. not making the dance is a shame because I'd have liked the country to see what we got to see so often. but not making the dance is not a reflection at all to the player or person Kendall is.
time moves on and his stats will be replaced, but he's more than stats. he'll be missed.

My counting could be off.

Since 85 (When the tournament became 64 teams) we have gone in:
88 (missed 1 year)
90 (missed 1 year)
98 (missed 6 years) 1 NIT
04 (missed 5 years) 3 NIT
10 (missed 5 years)
- (missed 4 years) 1 NIT

So yeah, I guess you are right. That would mean only 8 of 30 classes haven't gone to the NCAAs (27%).

Our closest pattern, especially the last 21 to 18 years is - 20% NCAA, 20% NIT, 60% Not.

urmite, post: 44205, member: 186"]Our closest pattern, especially the last 21 to 18 years is - 20% NCAA, 20% NIT, 60% Not

So, statistically speaking, we are due for an NCAA birth this year. 3 years of nothing, 1 year of NIT, only thing that is missing is the NCAA part of the equation.

Richmond’s Kendall Anthony and Treveon Graham of VCU were both named to the Virginia Sports Information Directors (VaSID) All-State First Team. The annual awards, which are selected by sports information and athletic communication professionals from around the Commonwealth, were announced Tuesday. The University Division covers all 14 Division I institutions in Virginia.

I don't take this as an insult to K0, and I don't think it was intended as such. He is one player, it takes a team to play well enough to Dance. K0 is one of my favorite Spids of all times. I think there have been other very good Spids that never got to enjoy a trip to the Dance. I had a vcu friend call me to congratulate me on a great season for the Spids after they beat us in the tourney. We talked about how great K0 was and I told him then my heart was bleeding for K0 because he never got a taste of the Dance. When I pointed it out, my vcu buddy was also very sad for him. He agreed if anybody deserved it he did.

I think there is a certain degree of chance in whether a player is on an NCAA team or not. A player comes to UR, not knowing who his future teammates will be. No matter how talented a player, the right complementary players may not show up, or may become injured. We've had some very talented players, not reach the NCAAs.

I am not insulting him one bit.

The point of my thread - since its the offseason and there is really nothing to talk about, was to talk about UR basketball history and other great players that played at UR who never got a shot at the NCAA. Kendall was a great player for us and I think its a shame he never got to play in the big dance, as that is the ultimate reward for any good player. And talk to any past Spider players who got to play in the tourney - and they all say it was such an amazing experience.

So my point was - what other great Spider players can you think of that never got to play in an NCAA tourney?

One that comes to mind - Greg Stevenson. Granted - he was only here for 2 years after transferring from Penn State, but his senior year - UR was not allowed to play in the CAA tourney because of the move to the A10. And that likely kept the Spiders out of the tourney as I believe we were very close - on the bubble - even without the CAA tourney.

Kendall was a special player to watch. I'm glad he at least got that NIT postseason run in the Robins Center to cap off his career.

Looking at the transition to the A-10, wouldn't that mean the Juniors & Seniors here missed the NCAA?
The year before was the no conference tourament year, right?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/richmond/2002.html
Only two notable players I can remember from those teams that helped make the transition to the A10 were Scott Ungerer and Reggie Brown - they never got in an NCAA tourney, but don't think I would put them on the level of Kendall Anthony.

Only two notable players I can remember from those teams that helped make the transition to the A10 were Scott Ungerer and Reggie Brown - they never got in an NCAA tourney, but don't think I would put them on the level of Kendall Anthony.
The other one was Jeff Myers. Aren't Myers & Ungerer top 10 in assists?

Greg Stevenson has my vote for best player never to go to an NCAA. Granted he was only here 2 years, but he was an absolute bad ass in those 2 years. Different player than Kevin Anderson but similar in one respect, he was the best player on the court every time we stepped on it, regardless of the opposition.

In my opinion, the two best players over the past 10 years that have graced the hardwood at the Robins Center were KA and K0.

Reactions: SpiderK
In my opinion, the two best players over the past 10 years that have graced the hardwood at the Robins Center were KA and K0.

I'm not going to disagree because it is tough to do so, but do believe Gonzo deserves some consideration. KA was our second all time leading scorer, Kendall 4th all time, Gonzo was 6th.

Ungerer is the one who always comes to mind for me. He was one of the best all-around players we have ever had.

Great fun to watch Kendall interview the team as a freshman: neat video. Will really miss his spirit.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT