ADVERTISEMENT

Jeter and Thomas Hall Renovations

Will be interesting to see the changes here...I was one of those Thomas Hall dorks all four years.

My grandfather lived in Jeter!

My dad lived in Thomas

I lived in Dennis my Fresh and Soph years
I was in Lakeside/Marsh my Jr year. It was kinda like an "Animal House' dorm the year I lived there!
Being a Sr, I roomed in Freeman. It had AC!

I LOVED my years at UR! Espically beginning my Junior year. That's when I met my wife, to whom I've married to for 33.8 years!

They both were renovated in the early 1970s. Guess that means I've been gone a long time!

Wood and Moore halls are probably look and feel the same as they did in 1972-74, when I lived there before moving off-campus. There is only so much you can do with cinderblock. Wood Hall in 1972-73 was a legendary experience.

Beav, I spent my freshman and sophomore years in Moore and Wood. Only substantial changes from your days - women moved into both dorms (I think one have may reverted back to being a men's dorm) and they each had AC put in the year after I got out of both (so 2002 for Moore and 2003 for Wood).

I had a single in Jeter that was no bigger than a closet. Basically shared it with Mrs. '05.

Lived in Wood A 105, right across the hall from the bathroom, the pay phone and the Coke machine, in 72-73. Unfortunately four of the 10 guys in A section are now deceased and another is in a wheelchair.

Lived in Moore A402, one of only four rooms on the wing of Moore with four floors. That floor had essentially a private bathroom and my room had a gable/window that overlooked X lot, could sit outside on the ledge on a hot day and have a beer and a smoke. It was one of the best rooms on campus and I had to get in line at about 5 o'clock one morning near the end of my freshman year to reserve it for 73-74.

Man, I am impressed that you remember the exact room numbers. I graduated in '98 and barely remember what floors I lived on. The room numbers are a complete mystery to me.

Thomas Hall, third floor, freshman yr. 1968. Sophomore year in Freeman right around the corner from Spinner. Spinner had large room shared with two others. One day we get a truck and go to the salvage store on Hull Street and buy an old refrigerator for $15 or so and the ancestor of the George Foreman grill. Cooked and stored food in that room all year. Still remember the grilled cheese sandwiches late at night cooked on the grill. Refrig. kept the beer cold until it finally died, I believe.

lived in the Club 340 in freeman for 3 years, the ac was delightful, full sized fridge, great stereo and many good times were had......if one could just get rid of the academic requirements, the college experience would be enhanced exponentially.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Man, I am impressed that you remember the exact room numbers. I graduated in '98 and barely remember what floors I lived on. The room numbers are a complete mystery to me.
That is indeed impressive. I can't help you at all, EL.

I can also remember my PO box. PO box 1306, University of Richmond, VA 23173. When you came into the PO from the parking lot (the stamp window side), there was a long bank of PO boxes, then about 4-5 on a diagonal, then another long bank heading down the other side. Box 1306 was one of those on the diagonal, about eye level.

Back in the day of snail mail, checking the PO in the morning for letters from friends and family was a treat. Especially mail from home, because my dad usually slipped in a fiver or a 10. I forgot to renew it for my senior year and got shifted to box 656, directly opposite the old "ride needed" board..

Sometimes in stores when they ask for my zip code I tell them 23173, and they give me a funny look.

Box 1411. Thomas 205, 219, 230, and 102 (a huge single with two closets...was formerly a double, but when they put in A/C they lost some space and made it a single) in that order.

But I'm not quite as old as some of you...
wink.r191677.gif

SF - lived in Thomas 105 freshman year. Huge room with I believe 3 closets. Then lived in Marsh the next 2 years and finally apartment 1105. It's hard for me to believe women live in Marsh.

I was all over Richmond College my first three years, in Robins Hall, Thomas Hall and Moore Hall. Senior year in Apartment 704.. My room in Thomas was no bigger than a closet, wow it was small, but I did like the AC..

Remember taking some summer school classes and living in Thomas. I think the temperature in the rooms would be considered cruel and unusual punishment now days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT