ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day: Spiders vs vcu

Pretty good turnout. We need more support to help elevate this program. Spiders down 5 at half. We were down 10. Spiders have 10 turnovers.Rams have 5. That is the difference so far.

Reactions: urfan1
What a win by Spiders.

72-65 Final

Rams with 16 points off Spiders 10 TO early and Ram with 15 second change points, mostly in first half when at one time they had 14 offensive rebounds to Spiders 4. Spiders straightened themselves up and made steady progress rest of way to get the win.

If the men's team gets you down - go watch a womens game. They are very similar to men's Richmond teams. They live and die by the 3 point shot, but the good news - this girls team can really shoot it and has a lot of capable shooters. Rebounding is weak. VCU crushed us inside and on the boards. And our defense is lacking at times lately. But - even with the rebounding, poor defense, and VCU just pushing our girls around for most of the game - the girls kept it close, and then in the 4th quarter, was able to hit enough shots and I think the pressure, the crowd, and our defense got to VCU in the end - and the girls pulled out a scrappy win.

Reactions: wr70beh
big one out in the county...cute Ed

He is a gigantic douche, no doubt. But at least he is all in as their AD. I'd take him over Hardt everyday and Sunday, cause he wants VCU to win on the biggest stage and isn't afraid to hold people accountable to make that happen.

Ed also knows how to use media to promote their brand, does Hardt even have a social media account, does he even do media unless he is forced to comment on something.

If the men's team gets you down - go watch a womens game. They are very similar to men's Richmond teams. They live and die by the 3 point shot, but the good news - this girls team can really shoot it and has a lot of capable shooters. Rebounding is weak. VCU crushed us inside and on the boards. And our defense is lacking at times lately. But - even with the rebounding, poor defense, and VCU just pushing our girls around for most of the game - the girls kept it close, and then in the 4th quarter, was able to hit enough shots and I think the pressure, the crowd, and our defense got to VCU in the end - and the girls pulled out a scrappy win.
The play with a couple minutes left where Townsend dribbled in a circle underneath the basket and fed a cutter coming from the top of the key for a layup was a thing of beauty. I don't even know if it was an intended play (I don't think so), but the youth coach in me is ready to implement it at our next practice. I've never seen that play before but it was great.

The play with a couple minutes left where Townsend dribbled in a circle underneath the basket and fed a cutter coming from the top of the key for a layup was a thing of beauty. I don't even know if it was an intended play (I don't think so), but the youth coach in me is ready to implement it at our next practice. I've never seen that play before but it was great.

He is a gigantic douche, no doubt. But at least he is all in as their AD. I'd take him over Hardt everyday and Sunday, cause he wants VCU to win on the biggest stage and isn't afraid to hold people accountable to make that happen.

Ed also knows how to use media to promote their brand, does Hardt even have a social media account, does he even do media unless he is forced to comment on something.

Yeah I'd take the snark over the pretentiousness we have with Hardt here any day. It's not like that earns more respect, Hardt doesn't have it. we don't really understand social media engagement at UR. And we've never really had the fanbase that's into it either to hit Toupee Ed back.

A little jabbing of rivals overall is very good for the soul. In this case it felt unnecessary bc he's just pandering to VCU fans who have long had a weird obsession with us being the University OF Richmond. He's being that guy/douche, esp when u then lose. VCU would kill for our name. Now if they wait long enough the name might get canceled, until then we'll enjoy having something they don't.

Anyway, big road game on Saturday for the women...#51 NET Spiders at #52 St. Joe's.

Great win, Spiders! So fun to watch! And so fun to see the excitement of the whole team! Including Rousell dancing in the huddle at the end!!

Lol: A broken Mooney play where Tyler falls down, he kicks the ball and it ends up in Roche's hands and a contested J-Nel prayer 3 as the shot clock expired which he banked in, after Grace dribbled it around aimlessly for most of the shot clock.
Just like Mooney drew it up

Reactions: 97spiderfan

Wouldnt want him anywhere near our classy school.

Lol: A broken Mooney play where Tyler falls down, he kicks the ball and it ends up in Roche's hands and a contested J-Nel prayer 3 as the shot clock expired which he banked in, after Grace dribbled it around aimlessly for most of the shot clock.
So, they weren't "clutch shots in crunch time"???

"Particularly enjoyed them making big shots and getting key stops in crunch time. Haven't seen players with a Spider uniform on in a while do such a thing. Refreshing."

That was your question/comment. As you are "make everything fit my narrative" guy, You didn't like the answer.

I believe there were defensive stop(s) by Richmond on the other end, no? if the roles were reversed and DUQ and/or SLU hit those shots and got those stops, you would have bit*hed and moaned about our lack of defense on one end, or terrible offensive design on the other....

Reactions: VT4700
Dude, we were 15-19 last year, finished 11th in a one bid league. Men's team hasn't had a meaningful win in almost 2 years. And yeah, those clips are the very definition of terrible offensive design.

But yes, they were clutch shots by Roche and J-Nel. I will give them that. Probably the two highlights from last year were those two home wins over Duquesne and SLU.

Women's team is 12-3, just beat a one loss VCU team. This team could actually make some noise this year.

UR and St. Joe's in a tight battle with the Spiders up 33–32 at the half. Hawks got a three on their final possession of the half to tighten it up and the Spiders couldn't get a quality shot off at the buzzer.

It's the usual recipe...Spiders bombing from three but getting beat up on the boards.

Terrible final minute by the Spiders let the Hawks get within 1, but fortunately got a bucket at the end to push it back to 3.

Big change in the third with both teams going inside and starting to get to the line. Spiders held their own on the boards.

Bit of an ugly 4th quarter for both teams, but a huge three from the top of the key by Doogan pushes the Spider lead to 4. Hawks call a timeout with 26.7 to play.

Edit: Hawks get the bucket with 20 to play. Spiders call timeout. As long as Spiders can get it in, Hawks will need to foul, but they have three to give before we go to the line.

Ullstrom hits two at the line, 4-point Spider lead with 16.6 to go. Hawk timeout to strategize. Let's go Spiders!

Edit: Spider block! Headed to the line with 10 seconds left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT