ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Playoffs

It was either Bragg or Bruce Gossett…I can’t remember which…having two back to back NFL kickers at UR had to be pretty unusual…

If it was Bragg during the losing streak years, it sure would have been good practice for the NFL…I’d guess he still holds the career record for most punts…believe he was a punter in the NFL with Skins…Gossett was a place kicker, I think?

Go Spiders!
Gossett is in the Ferrum HOF as well.

Let's face it, if we lose to a non-scholarship program, the whole staff take a long hard look at its career choices. Davidson's league is basically D2A, not D1.

Even D2 schools can offer up to 36 scholarships, which can be split among players.

True. So we're playing a D3 school. 😛

Not trying to overstate things here but there's truly no excuse for losing a game like this, and we won't.

Certainly expect a win, but it does stand out that they were respectable against Jax State. Three lost fumbles killed them, and otherwise they could have been right there.

I would probably argue that they had three lost fumbles because they are a non-scholarship team playing against a good team with scholarships. Of course our coaching staff and team should and will take them seriously. But I'm just a clueless fan, so I don't have to. 😎

LOL, I love Eldridge's reaction when they tell him Davidson runs the triple option...you can just see him processing that bit of news.

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
I would guess Spiders did not need another physical team. Spiders have just played, back, to back, to back playoff teams that were all hard fought. A game on their home field could be just what the doctor ordered for this team. I know little about Davidson at this point excepting they are not from a power FCS conference, but they were good enough to win their auto bid at any rate.

I did watch the end of the Sac State game last night and they are for real, so if Spiders survive this week, they will need all the rest they can get to heal a little and this week of non-travel could help. One more day in the cold tub if nothing else, should it be needed by some, not to mention any of the other tricks the trainers might have at this point in the season.
Haven't seen SS play, and I'm sure they are fairly legit to be the No. 2 seed..... BUT they never had to play the other great team in their league (Montana State) and they played very close games against the next three best teams in their league (beat Idaho and Weber State, both playoff teams, by just 3 each and UC Davis, not a playoff team, by just 6).

So all things considered, they don't strike me as an NDSU type of unbeatable juggernaut. Maybe more like that Illinois State team we went on the road and ran all over that year when they were the No. 2 seed.

Haven't seen SS play, and I'm sure they are fairly legit to be the No. 2 seed..... BUT they never had to play the other great team in their league (Montana State) and they played very close games against the next three best teams in their league (beat Idaho and Weber State, both playoff teams, by just 3 each and UC Davis, not a playoff team, by just 6).

So all things considered, they don't strike me as an NDSU type of unbeatable juggernaut. Maybe more like that Illinois State team we went on the road and ran all over that year when they were the No. 2 seed.
Yes, but Rocco was our coach.

Winner of our game plays at #2 Sacramento State. Winner of Elon vs Furman plays at #7 Incarnate Word. I know Elon beat us in OT, but we were playing for CAA Championship yesterday. Seems like Elon gets much better draw. Yeah, I know at this stage you have to play one game at a time and win to advance, but...

Thoughts?
Furman 31, Elon 6. As I was saying...

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
Furman 31, Elon 6. As I was saying...
You be right, although I'd rather be playing IW in the second round than SS. With that said, I have confidence in our guys & would like to take down SS.

I was at the game today. Nice fall day. Not a lot of takeaways from today's game because I think the game played out as it should. Davidson looked like a D2 team. We executed well on offense & defense.

Next week will be a different game entirely. If we can take our game up a notch beyond what we showed against W & M, I'd like to think we're good enough to win at SS. I do think their conference has good football teams.

ray liotta GIF

Don’t look now but Incarnate Word really taking it to the Bison.

Edit - TD reversed on review and fumbled snap immediately after the post. So…you’re welcome Fargo.

One of the absolute worst replays ever to give NDSU the ball on a late fumble. Wow. Tough break for UIW.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT