ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Playoffs

Davidson or Furman would be nice. Although getting a team to travel halfway across the country would be nice as well. My guess is Furman if we stay regional. Maybe even Chatanooga. I think Elon gets Davidson.

Davidson or Furman would be nice. Although getting a team to travel halfway across the country would be nice as well. My guess is Furman if we stay regional. Maybe even Chatanooga. I think Elon gets Davidson.
I wonder if Davidson would give us a better shot at a home game?

I wonder if Davidson would give us a better shot at a home game?
Id like to think were getting a home game. Even if its Furman who has a far better resume than Davidson. You'd figure since Elon won @WM and beat us they'll get the easier of the two which is Davidson. I think we host someone. Major eff up on our admin if we don't.

Reactions: spiderjpo
What am I missing? 32 also linked to it a couple of weeks ago.

The site hasn't been updated in three years and is overrun with prescription drug spam.

No idea maybe some weird cookie or redirect deal. But site works fine 4 me & is certainly updated.

No idea maybe some weird cookie or redirect deal. But site works fine 4 me & is certainly updated.
Bizarre...it works on my phone, but not on my computer, regardless of browser/private window. Desktop shows me the 2019 final bracket as the most recent post:

Screenshot-2022-11-20-at-11-32-58-AM.jpg

Id like to think were getting a home game. Even if its Furman who has a far better resume than Davidson. You'd figure since Elon won @WM and beat us they'll get the easier of the two which is Davidson. I think we host someone. Major eff up on our admin if we don't.
Furman wants a seed… o_O

I was starting to warm up to the idea of the WM bracket but not so. 12/3 in williamsburg would of had football and basketball double header. Not in love with the idea of having to travel a long distance for our second round matchup. I could see us getting the ND State bracket and they're down this year.

Second-round game at Sac State if we win. An 8-hour drive for me, if the passes are clear. Or a relatively cheap plane flight.

First things first, beat Davidson. And the onus is on the fans to show up, not on the athletic department to beg them to come.

32, what do we know about Davidson? Their stat line makes them look like an option team.

Winner of our game plays at #2 Sacramento State. Winner of Elon vs Furman plays at #7 Incarnate Word. I know Elon beat us in OT, but we were playing for CAA Championship yesterday. Seems like Elon gets much better draw. Yeah, I know at this stage you have to play one game at a time and win to advance, but...

Thoughts?

Reactions: ViennaSpider
A note in history that includes Davidson football.
In 1966 the Spiders had the nation’s longest losing streak.
Davidson came to Richmond as a big favorite. (Every team was a big
favorite against the Spiders). We beat them, and our running back,
Zunich, carried us to the win, and he was named the nations no.1 offensive
player of the week.

Reactions: mojo-spider
A note in history that includes Davidson football.
In 1966 the Spiders had the nation’s longest losing streak.
Davidson came to Richmond as a big favorite. (Every team was a big
favorite against the Spiders). We beat them, and our running back,
Zunich, carried us to the win, and he was named the nations no.1 offensive
player of the week.
Must acknowledge I remember that win well; that losing streak included an 0-10 season in 1965.

I believe Sports Illustrated magazine, the ESPN of the pre cable/digital era gave Zunich the award; it was a big deal at the time to be recognized in the magazine.

Don’t recall, was that Coach Merrick’s last season?

Go Spiders!

Must acknowledge I remember that win well; that losing streak included an 0-10 season in 1965.

I believe Sports Illustrated magazine, the ESPN of the pre cable/digital era gave Zunich the award; it was a big deal at the time to be recognized in the magazine.

Don’t recall, was that Coach Merrick’s last season?

Go Spiders!
Was Mike Bragg our kicker?

Winner of our game plays at #2 Sacramento State. Winner of Elon vs Furman plays at #7 Incarnate Word. I know Elon beat us in OT, but we were playing for CAA Championship yesterday. Seems like Elon gets much better draw. Yeah, I know at this stage you have to play one game at a time and win to advance, but...

Thoughts?

Easier 2nd rd if they get thru. But harder 1st round playing Furman on road. Personally I was hoping to play Samford if we advanced. But that seemed like longshot.

Thoughts?
Depends what you consider a better draw. Elon will have a much more challenging first game than we do. They may not make it to Incarnate Word. We will make it to Sactown.

Reactions: ViennaSpider
All you can do is figure out how to win the game in front of you. You don't have to beat the other 23, just 4 of them. That ole ball can take some funny bounces, maybe it will bounce our way.

Depends what you consider a better draw. Elon will have a much more challenging first game than we do. They may not make it to Incarnate Word. We will make it to Sactown.
As far as I know, if the Spiders make it to Sacramento, that will be their first football trip to California ever. Longest would probably still be the one to London to play, I think, BU a few years back.

I like the draw - think we can make some noise. Just need to go 1-0 this week to start.

As far as I know, if the Spiders make it to Sacramento, that will be their first football trip to California ever. Longest would probably still be the one to London to play, I think, BU a few years back.
Rocco left us after the Eastern Washington game. Turd.

Granted. I do agree it appears on paper Elon's first round match-up is tougher than ours. I guess I'm thinking we should get by Davidson. But then the second round "appears" that we get tougher game. I guess my thinking or angle was addressing the relative pairings. All things considered, I would have have thought we would have been a higher pick / consideration than Elon on balance. Also seems that SS's conference (Big Sky) is regarded more favorably than IW's conference (Southland) year in & year out, as well as number of teams regularly making playoffs. It's just an analytical point I'm trying to make for discussion sake. As I mentioned before, & as someone else mentioned, we just need to win.

I saw a game earlier this year on ESPN on a Friday night with Sac State, and they looked pretty good. Think it was vs Montana. Looked like good football. Could be a nice game if we get to California & hopefully take down SS.

Reactions: whampas
Granted. I do agree it appears on paper Elon's first round match-up is tougher than ours. I guess I'm thinking we should get by Davidson. But then the second round "appears" that we get tougher game. I guess my thinking or angle was addressing the relative pairings. All things considered, I would have have thought we would have been a higher pick / consideration than Elon on balance. Also seems that SS's conference (Big Sky) is regarded more favorably than IW's conference (Southland) year in & year out, as well as number of teams regularly making playoffs. It's just an analytical point I'm trying to make for discussion sake. As I mentioned before, & as someone else mentioned, we just need to win.

I saw a game earlier this year on ESPN on a Friday night with Sac State, and they looked pretty good. Think it was vs Montana. Looked like good football. Could be a nice game if we get to California & hopefully take down SS.
No doubt, we got the harder seed in the second round. But we also basically got a bye TO the second round. Elon got a pretty even matchup in the first round. It would be like us playing Delaware in this round and then getting Incarnate Word after that. Sure, I’d rather play Incarnate Word than Sac State, but I’d also much rather play Davidson than Delaware (or Furman).

Was Mike Bragg our kicker?
It was either Bragg or Bruce Gossett…I can’t remember which…having two back to back NFL kickers at UR had to be pretty unusual…

If it was Bragg during the losing streak years, it sure would have been good practice for the NFL…I’d guess he still holds the career record for most punts…believe he was a punter in the NFL with Skins…Gossett was a place kicker, I think?

Go Spiders!

No doubt, we got the harder seed in the second round. But we also basically got a bye TO the second round. Elon got a pretty even matchup in the first round. It would be like us playing Delaware in this round and then getting Incarnate Word after that. Sure, I’d rather play Incarnate Word than Sac State, but I’d also much rather play Davidson than Delaware (or Furman)..

I would guess Spiders did not need another physical team. Spiders have just played, back, to back, to back playoff teams that were all hard fought. A game on their home field could be just what the doctor ordered for this team. I know little about Davidson at this point excepting they are not from a power FCS conference, but they were good enough to win their auto bid at any rate.

I did watch the end of the Sac State game last night and they are for real, so if Spiders survive this week, they will need all the rest they can get to heal a little and this week of non-travel could help. One more day in the cold tub if nothing else, should it be needed by some, not to mention any of the other tricks the trainers might have at this point in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT