ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Playoffs

FCS Playoffs- Quarterfinals (EST)

Friday, Dec. 10

Montana (10-2) at James Madison (11-1), 7 (ESPN2)

Saturday, Dec. 11

ETSU (11-1) at North Dakota St. (11-1), noon (ESPN)
South Dakota St. (10-3) at Villanova (10-2), 2 (ESPN+)
Montana St. (10-2) at Sam Houston (11-0), 8:30 (ESPN+)

Seeded Teams in Command

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
The worst part is that the expanded playoffs have made it so much easier. Alas, we can’t even meet the lower bar.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The worst part is that the expanded playoffs have made it so much easier. Alas, we can’t even meet the lower bar.

also a diluted FCS. Used to have teams like Appy & GA Southern we were competing against not to mention stronger UD & W&M.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Come on guys, we can't be expected to compete against powerhouse teams like *checks notes *... Incarnate Word.

Come on guys, we can't be expected to compete against powerhouse teams like *checks notes *... Incarnate Word.
We might can compete next year after the news they just got. Seems they lost the Jerry Rice award winner from the spring season to the portal. Kind of like Spiders losing the Mustapha kid to Wake Forest and he starts making an impact for them as a RS Freshman.

Incarnate Word QB Cameron Ward enters college football transfer portal​

Just tuned into the JMU/Montana game, end of 3rd, the announcers are all over it was targeting? Not only was the QB not down, he wasn’t defenseless and the QB lowered his head while being tackled. The officials said it wasn’t, but the announcers kept going back n about it. Heaven forbid I ever support JMU…..but come on

Did not see it, but that was the report, and they reported lost #1 WR in first series

Sammy taking it on the chin 42-19 with 2 min left .Good luck to Sammy and their charming head coach as they “ascend “to the FBS level

Montana State vs. Sam Houston - Play-By-Play - December 11, 2021 - ESPN

For the sake of clarity -
The nine states that don't currently have an FBS school within its borders (Alaska, Delaware, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont). Alaska does not have any colleges that play football in any division.

And to dwell on the subject here is a photo of the past when UA - Fairbanks had football

default.jpg

For the sake of clarity -
The nine states that don't currently have an FBS school within its borders (Alaska, Delaware, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont). Alaska does not have any colleges that play football in any division.
Of the eight, not including Alaska, the one thing this makes me think about for the first time is Vermont. What do they play?

Of the eight, not including Alaska, the one thing this makes me think about for the first time is Vermont. What do they play?
Good point - no Division 1 football in Vermont. UVM has club football and other schools in the state have Division III football.

The entire state of Vermont has less than half the population of metro Richmond. (The same is true of several other states on that list.)

The New England reference is of course in error.BC in Massachusetts and UConn in Connecticut are considered BCS - FBS.Although most would consider UConn mid level FCS best case in terms of the quality of their product.

umass is FBS too, similar to UConn.

maybe it was a troll tweet.

Reactions: 32counter
The proliferation of FCS powers defecting to FBS, only to play FCS+ football (Sun belt is literally all former FCS/non existent programs) put the wheels in motion of the East Coast no longer being a hotbed for FCS football. Would be a far different story with App St, GA SO, Coastal Carolina, UMASS, UCONN remained in FCS where some were relevant while others were national powers. Notice the ascension of JMU coincided with all the other schools vacating FCS + us deciding we no longer want to be good at football? They may get things right, but they will have their hands full doing it, or figuring it out.

Reactions: Spider B and urfan1
As a one-time North Dakotan, I was glad to see NDSU win. The Bison are a machine and the support they receive in the Fargo area and throughout the state is unbelievable.

Plus their fullback at 6-1,236 ran for 3 TDs.Plus their other dual fullback is 5-11,234.

These 2 guys with their OL had a lot of fun v Montana State.

FCS is moving to glorified D2 status with the exodus of all the top tier programs. Hell ND St was d2 just 15 years ago. Once App St left FCS a ton of eastern/southern copy cats followed suit and the product became worse. The new transfer rule is going to further weaken the CAA as a conference. An athletic department with our current resources should thrive at this level considering the lack of competition at this level now.

Reactions: Spider B
NDSU can't hold on at FCS much longer, I don't think. My brother-in-law is an alum and says fans are starting to lose interest a bit. It's fun to dominate but at some point, there is too much dominance. I know it might take one of the other Dakota schools coming with them from a geographic standpoint, but I have to think they'll be moving up before long.

They are a machine. Not sure if there are still stadium size requirements but expanding the Fargo Dome would be really expensive.

it’ll be interesting to see what happens to the ODUs, Liberty’s, JMUs, Charlottes, etc. At some point the big boys are going to pull away the money. They don’t like to share. Will there still be money for the 1A also rans?

Definitely doable to expand the Fargodome. There have been a few proposals over the years including a recent one that would have boosted football capacity to 25,000. It was put on hold and then COVID hit, but pretty sure it could easily be revived if an FBS invite were to arrive. The state has wanted to add a convention center to the facility, so there's some interest and momentum there.

The problem is identifying where that FBS invite might come from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT