ADVERTISEMENT

Fans corresponding w prospective recruits via twitter

UR Fan 2

Team Manager
May 5, 2005
What are the rules governing this. I only ask after watching VCU fans light up the page of Tevin Mack over his prospective de-commit?

It is an NCAA rules violation for fans to interact with recruits on social media. That said, I don't think any school has ever been punished for it.

I believe it's only a violation for a booster to interact, not just a fan. but they can't enforce it anyway. a rival could call himself vcuramboosterguy to get VCU in trouble.

Hold on minute...

I'm sending VCU a check for $10...

Now, I'm sending a tweet to Mack...

Now, I'm self-reporting...

And now...

VCU has a one year ban on post season play!
roll.r191677.gif

He probably just got sick of the dorks with at least one foot in the unemployment boat tweeting at him.

Originally posted by UR Fan 2:
and with that Mack changed his twitter handle
Probably preparing for the carnage from irrational Ram fans when he officially decommits.

Tevin Mack has signed his LOI with VCU, there is no longer any restrictions for fans to contact him on twitter.

If he asks for his release, then VCU fans wouldn't be allowed to contact him directly. There's a difference in "potential recruits" and "signed recruits".

Maybe, but the handle change didn't affect those already following him. His tweets still come up on their timeline, with his new twitter handle. Most VCU fans who care, are already following him since his recruitment, so there's no effect from the handle change. It's fans from other schools who unfollowed him after his choosing VCU, will have a harder time finding him due to his name change.

Originally posted by Gopher+RamFan:
Tevin Mack has signed his LOI with VCU, there is no longer any restrictions for fans to contact him on twitter.

If he asks for his release, then VCU fans wouldn't be allowed to contact him directly. There's a difference in "potential recruits" and "signed recruits".
This is patently false. From the link cited above from the NCAA:

"Students are still considered prospects even if they have signed
a National Letter of Intent or any other financial aid agreement with a
university."

"Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective
student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from
contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the
prospect's relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes."

Wow. You wrote a message about RPI 9 minutes ago and he/she hasn't responded yet. I guess you got a checkmate.

Seems like you are correct Eight Legger, which is contrary to what I was told. The person who told me this mentioned that once players sign their NLI, coaches can talk about them publicly (true) and it is okay to contact them via twitter. Good to know.

Regardless, the NCAA doesn't enforce it's own standards enough to matter much - unless you're outside the P5.

This is what happens when you get your information from grown men, who wear dirty smelly horns on their heads and t-shirts that are two sizes too small.

I'm sure Mack was reassured by all of your masses responding to him on Twitter that his chances to become "an elite NBA prospect" rest with Will Wade
happy.r191677.gif

Its a violation per say - but like someone else mentioned - impossible to enforce or do anything about.

I think the only time someone would potentially get in trouble is if a fan or booster starting making offers to a recruit - like - "Come to VCU and you get free lap dances". That might be cause for investigation.

Plain old interaction - impossible to police, stop, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT