Siesta Key,FL
Big Ten lifts ban on FCS football scheduling
MATT ZIMMER'S BLOG
Matt Zimmer, mzimmer@argusleader.comPublished 2:03 p.m. CT July 24, 2017
oval-1-facebook.png
oval-1-copy-3-email.png
comments-copy.png

636365052101500051-sfa-5w7gb3jcxfovomasblo-original.jpg

South Dakota quarterback Dante Warren (2) throws a pass against Minnesota during the third quarter of a NCAA football game Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 in Minneapolis. Warren passed for 352 yards and three touchdown while adding 102 rushing and two touchdowns leading South Dakota to a 41-38 win. (AP Photo/Tom Olmscheid) (Photo: Tom Olmscheid, AP)

The Big Ten's ban on scheduling football games vs. Division FCS schools lasted all of two years.

B1G commissioner Jim Delany said at Monday's Big Ten media day that the FBS conference is adjusting its scheduling procedures to once again allow its teams to schedule games against teams from the Football Championship Subdivision, the lesser of Division I football's two sub-classifications.

In July of 2015, the conference set forth guidelines for football scheduling that called for nine league games, a minimum of one non-conference game against a "Power Five" conference opponent, and no further games against FCS teams (games that had already been scheduled before the decree were grandfathered in).

But a schedule that calls for nine conference games leaves half the B1G's teams with only four conference home games in certain years, and finding additional home games to fill the hole proved difficult. So on Monday Delany announced that in years that B1G teams have only four conference home games, they will be allowed to schedule non-conference games vs. FCS opponents if they wish.

While lifting the FCS ban should help some of the B1G teams fill their schedule, it will also, of course, allow teams in the conference's lower tier a better chance at becoming Bowl-eligible, assuming they are scheduling a win when they schedule an FCS team. NDSU defeated a ranked Iowa team last year and has several other wins over FBS programs, as do a handful of other FCS teams.

The announcement is certainly good news for teams in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, as there are obviously several B1G teams that are an ideal geographical fit for a game. SDSU has played against Minnesota, Illinois and Nebraska, for example. And before the ban, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa would frequently schedule games against FCS teams in their state, with a guaranteed lump sum going to the FCS teams as part of the agreement.

The Jacks do not have an FBS opponent scheduled this year, but they are set to visit Iowa State (Big 12) in 2018, and Minnesota in 2019, the latter of which had been scheduled before the ban. The Jacks and Gophers had been slated to play last year, but the Gophers ended up 'transferring' the game to TCU, whom SDSU ended up playing in last year's season opener. That led to speculation the Gophers might try to transfer or buy out the '19 game, but Monday's ruling likely increases the chance of the game staying on as scheduled.

USD has FBS games over the next four years scheduled with Kansas State, Oklahoma, Iowa State and Kansas. SDSU is also reportedly slated to play at Colorado State in 2021, though the game hasn't been formally announced.

If UR was to schedule another Big 10 school in football, I would like to see Northwestern on the schedule. I believe NU is the only private institution in the Big10.

If UR was to schedule another Big 10 school in football, I would like to see Northwestern on the schedule. I believe NU is the only private institution in the Big10.
The closest UR came to beating a Big10 school was our 1 point loss (6-7) to Wisconsin in the mid/late 1970s. UR's Jeff Nixon ran wild in punt returns in that contest!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT