ADVERTISEMENT

Curious

This is great, of course Wade and Shaka wanted Mooney to stay. That is coachspeak. You could Google the internet for 100 years to find one coach saying another is not good. I am in my 40's and think Mooney is mediocre at best. If if is the so called restrictions, then he is scared to address them for fear of losing his comfy job. I spoke to a former D1 coach and ACC assistant and he was not impressed with Mooney.

Look, that's exactly what I expected to get in response. This was not a "Richmond sucks this year what do you think of Mooney" question. This was a conversation on the plane returning from some games about other coaches and other programs over the last 5 years or so. He offered it up during a discussion we were having about our difficult season - and theirs as well. He thinks they have a real problem on their hands with Rhoades.

I would be stunned if Wade or Shaka said anything different. Can you imagine if your rival coach or really any other coach said they think so and so's coach is not very good?

If you went and asked Chris about every other A-10 coach, do you think he would tell you that one of them isn't very good? There is a reason no coaches would ever say this because if it got out, it would be self inflicted bad PR.

Same reason, TV commentator says good things about coaches during the game broadcasts. You have to get interviews with these guys and if you say they suck, that makes the working environment pretty difficult.

Look, that's exactly what I expected to get in response. This was not a "Richmond sucks this year what do you think of Mooney" question. This was a conversation on the plane returning from some games about other coaches and other programs over the last 5 years or so. He offered it up during a discussion we were having about our difficult season - and theirs as well. He thinks they have a real problem on their hands with Rhoades.
I'm sure he does because Rhoades is Mooney.

I'm concerned about these self imposed restrictions as well in terms of the overall direction and ceiling for our basketball program. I think we need a complete overhaul in terms of commitment and mission statement...not just a coaching change. I'm just not sure that our administration and BOT would ever embrace the idea that we could be a Gonzaga or Butler on the basketball court and still maintain our lofty status in the U.S. News academic rankings. It can be done but it takes leadership that understands the concept that a great basketball team can be a huge asset for the University and takes folks on both sides (academia and athletics) to put aside their egos and work together. We have the potential to have a really special program but I see a lot of fear of change by the status quo.

Reactions: iSpider
I would be stunned if Wade or Shaka said anything different. Can you imagine if your rival coach or really any other coach said they think so and so's coach is not very good?

If you went and asked Chris about every other A-10 coach, do you think he would tell you that one of them isn't very good? There is a reason no coaches would ever say this because if it got out, it would be self inflicted bad PR.

Same reason, TV commentator says good things about coaches during the game broadcasts. You have to get interviews with these guys and if you say they suck, that makes the working environment pretty difficult.

Dude, can you ever just engage in a conversation without working the agenda? I shared a conversation with a guy that seemed, naive and mistaken by a commoner like me, to be relevant to how this thread started. The sentiment shared by those 2 coaches matches a number of other discussions I've had with people involved in the game. No opinion, not trying to make any kind of point, just sharing information. That used to be what happened on the boards.

Reactions: iSpider
Most people I’ve talked to prior to this year had been on the fence, wondering if Mooney had peaked and that if the program should be better with the resources being put into it.

This year has obviously soured most people’s opinions, as a 9 win season will (and should). Though most I talk to also see how young the team is and the promise they have. More importantly, none of them think that Mooney is a bad coach, more that maybe the program needs new blood. There have certainly been some complacent years in recruiting (junior/senior classes sans Fore come to mind), which to me is the bigger knock on Mooney than his coaching.

As for this:
As for our attendance. It is so good because you can get free tickets pretty much anytime. Sign your kids up for the kids club and they can go for free anytime and then buy yourself/spouse, $5 tickets and you can take the whole family out for $10. You literally cannot do anything cheaper for family entertainment in the area.

I’ve seen this sort of sentiment thrown out repeatedly on this site, and I must say I don’t get it. I was at Richmond from 04-08, and I couldn’t pay fellow students to come with me to games (and students always got in free, I’m assuming that hasn’t changed). I made it back this year for my first game in years at the Robbins center (George Mason game unfortunately...) and loved the atmosphere, that the place was actually full, and the student section was worlds better (even during the afternoon when Ring Dance was that night).

I guess I say “so what” to Richmond handing out tickets. It builds fandom in the community, it builds atmosphere for games, which will hopefully help in building a product on the floor. These are all positives.

Living in Charlottesville there are many happy people about college basketball with the number 1 team and a fantastic coach nearby. The main reference to the Spiders is about our last football game against UVA. My Spider friends whom I see at basketball games cover the gamut with Ulla being the most optimistic. Those who don't post on the board either at all or seldom are ready to see Mooney leave but many don't want to come across as too negative. Most enjoy the atmosphere at the Robins Center and seeing friends regularly that they don't see otherwise but would welcome better on court success.

Reactions: spiderwriter
Dude, can you ever just engage in a conversation without working the agenda? I shared a conversation with a guy that seemed, naive and mistaken by a commoner like me, to be relevant to how this thread started. The sentiment shared by those 2 coaches matches a number of other discussions I've had with people involved in the game. No opinion, not trying to make any kind of point, just sharing information. That used to be what happened on the boards.

I'm not working an agenda. I offered a rebuttal to your point, which i believe is the point of this message board. BTW, what were Wade's and Shaka's record against Mooney again? I'm sure they loved him, he made them look really good.

97, you're discounting what they said because you don't feel the same way.
doesn't mean they didn't say what they believe. I find it more likely that they wouldn't have commented on CM's ability as a coach at all if they didn't feel that way.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
There is a group of about 8 of my friends that graduated together where we have a pretty regular group text going. We have all spread out in different parts of the country/world since graduating and most of us have families now so we don't get to see each other very often anymore. Unfortunately our communication has slowed greatly the past few years. One of our biggest topics of conversation is Spiders sports, primarily basketball. Four of us took a road trip to our 2004 tourney game in Milwaukee when we were sophomores. All of us, except the one we forgot to invite, made the trip to AC for the A10 championship in 2011. Several of us were also in AC in the years prior to that as well. Out of this group, one hates Mooney more than I do and refuses to go to any games until he is fired. Three others are pissed about the direction of the program and the last three don't really follow the team at this point since we are so bad. But not one of them would tell you that Mooney should keep his job. The status of the program is a real shame right now .

Ivan admitted tonight that he watches the games on TV!!! He doesn’t even show up!! WTH!! :)
And never has, I've stopped listening to the show years ago, it was devoid of anything relavent, but even then he admitted he didn't own tickets to any spider teams.

Reactions: SpiderK
The Spider Gang fans are a group of about 10 locals...all of us from the baby boomer generation and ready to proudly replace those Spiders fans of the original red sweater crowd...

It's always dangerous for me to speak for the group, but I believe I can say that to a person the Gang is dissatisfied with the direction of the program and out of patience with the leadership and direction of Coach Mooney...some of us have been off of the Mooney bandwagon for years, for others this year's collapse has been the final straw...

Several posters here have used the description "stale" as it refers to the basketball program and the things that surround it...I think that captures it well for me and our group...to use a more modern term it needs a "reboot" if winning Championships and appearing in the NCAA Tournament is the program's goal...

The program can do much better...the very patient and great fans deserve it...

Go Spiders!

Most of my closest Spiders friends are not posters here, in fact, none are to my knowledge. All like Mooney as a person and as a representative of the University. They appreciate that he runs a clean program and brings in good kids.
Most believe he is a poor recruiter, that he is a decent coach in getting what he can from what he has, but that he is a poor recruiter. If he were as adept at recruiting all positions as he has been in recruiting small, over achieving point guards, then we would be NCAA regulars. No question.

Bottom line - my Spider friends want more and are out of patience with CM.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT