ADVERTISEMENT

Could/Should this team be better than last year’s?

I agree with this. But on flip side…handling the ball doesn’t make one a PG 😀 (i know I’m a little Petty LaBelle today)He will still help us in that spot
PG is many things but in my framework of understanding, this position directs and starts the offense. The PG typically gets the defense moving with the initial pass and can be the lead on pressuring the ball on defense. Ideally the PG should primarily be a great decision maker that reduces turnovers with their ball handling and passes, and gives the offense the best chance to score. When UR is pressed we rarely see the guards turn it over due to their decision to get rid of the ball quickly and yet be patient with the pass without dribbling.

35%? smh
in 4 years he's played 2,277 minutes and hit 46 three pointers total at a 28.6% clip. I'd love you to be right but 35% based on what?
Goose is a good slasher and a good defender. he's not a shooter or a PG. accept him for what he is ... and what he's not.

as 23 said, if he starts and plays a lot it's because Mooney values his defense. it's not because Mooney thinks he'll suddenly become a 35% shooter after 4 years.

and we better be winning. because if not and Goose is playing 25+mpg while a guy who hit 110 threes in one year is watching, I may change my thoughts on that billboard.
I think 35% is realistic. He might be 28.6 for his career, but he has not been consistently 28% each year. He has had years of 34, 32, and 31%, so it's not as crazy as you think that he could be 35% this year. That is not a dramatic increase from those years, and with his limited volume, just one more made 3 each of those years, 1, not 5 or 6, 1, he would be at 36, 36, and 33%. So, laugh all you want and say it will never happen, but it certainly doesn't seem unreasonable to me that he could be at 35% this year, and if so, he certainly wouldn't be the first guy to have his best shooting 3 point year be his last.

And, I am psyched as anyone that we landed Roche, but let's not forget he averaged 13 a game for a 13-18 Citadel team. I'm not ready to just hand him a starting spot. But, no question, if he shows offensively and defensively he's the best choice, he should start. As much as our defense has been criticized on here, I am surprised anyone would be in such a hurry to take our best defender off the floor. And, not only our best defender, but a guy who can take the other team's top player out of the game.

Last edited:
35%? smh
in 4 years he's played 2,277 minutes and hit 46 three pointers total at a 28.6% clip. I'd love you to be right but 35% based on what?
Goose is a good slasher and a good defender. he's not a shooter or a PG. accept him for what he is ... and what he's not.

as 23 said, if he starts and plays a lot it's because Mooney values his defense. it's not because Mooney thinks he'll suddenly become a 35% shooter after 4 years.

and we better be winning. because if not and Goose is playing 25+mpg while a guy who hit 110 threes in one year is watching, I may change my thoughts on that billboard.
sman I'm worried about your memory. that's been talked about already by many...me 4700, others. The # is skewed by 1 bad year w his least amount of 3s. He's 34, 32, 31 other 3. In a small sample. So yeah he could get to 35.

I could give you 20 dudes and have you predict their 3 pt % next year and you'd be pretty well off on half of them I bet.

Also I said IF. Kind of a key word. It wasn't a guarantee. IF he gets there it's even harder to take him off floor, I think you'd even agree. If he's at 30% it's easier.

I know what he's best at. tho imo he's better than a good defender. I think Roche will play too, that's a big part of why I've been saying I could see Goose slide over for more spot minutes. I could not care less if u don't call him a natural PG, I haven't even called him that. But he's versatile enough to handle that time.

I think 35% is realistic. He might be 28.6 for his career, but he has not been consistently 28% each year. He has had years of 34, 32, and 31%, so it's not as crazy as you think that he could be 35% this year. That is not a dramatic increase from those years, and with his limited volume, just one more made 3 each of those years, 1, not 5 or 6, 1, he would be at 36, 36, and 33%. So, laugh all you want and say it will never happen, but it certainly doesn't seem unreasonable to me that he could be at 35% this year, and if so, he certainly wouldn't be the first guy to have his best shooting 3 point year be his last.

And, I am psyched as anyone that we landed Roche, but let's not forget he averaged 13 a game for a 13-18 Citadel team. I'm not ready to just hand him a starting spot. But, no question, if he shows offensively and defensively he's the best choice, he should start. As much as our defense has been criticized on here, I am surprised anyone would be in such a hurry to take our best defender off the floor. And, not only our best defender, but a guy who can take the other team's top player out of the game.
I’m with you on Roche…If we have Dji and Goose on floor at the same time I am very confident in Djis defense to be right there with Goose. Those two can make it very difficult for opposing guards.

sman I'm worried about your memory. that's been talked about already by many...me 4700, others. The # is skewed by 1 bad year w his least amount of 3s. He's 34, 32, 31 other 3. In a small sample. So yeah he could get to 35.

I could give you 20 dudes and have you predict their 3 pt % next year and you'd be pretty well off on half of them I bet.

Also I said IF. Kind of a key word. It wasn't a guarantee. IF he gets there it's even harder to take him off floor, I think you'd even agree. If he's at 30% it's easier.

I know what he's best at. tho imo he's better than a good defender. I think Roche will play too, that's a big part of why I've been saying I could see Goose slide over for more spot minutes. I could not care less if u don't call him a natural PG, I haven't even called him that. But he's versatile enough to handle that time.
I think my memory is ok, unless I'm forgetting what I forgot.
I'll hope for 35% with you. because you know ... more volume. that usually works.

• Haha
Reactions: nathanw19
I'll hope for 35% with you. because you know ... more volume. that usually works.
What you are forgetting is that everything in every sport scales...

I went 2 for 2 from the line, so obviously I would go 1,000 for 1,000...

I went 2 for 2 from the line, so obviously I would go 1,000 for 1,000...
obviously not. and you're right. we have limited data to work with. if 10 of his misses in the past 4 years went in he'd be a make-believe 35% shooter. they'll probably go in next year.

hope isn’t a strategy but heck I hope for 40% as a team!

look at Funk a portal target he made a big jump after 2 years of much much lower #s at heavy volume.

with smaller sample more chance for swings. & w his solid mechanics I think adds to his chances tho not sure he’ll improve his arc at this point. I don’t know what odds I’d put at him hitting 35, maybe a tossup, only that I would not consider unrealistic & higher than you’d put it.

I'm gonna go somewhere that Philly fans don't like to go and talk about practice. Goose changed his shot and hopefully with more practice and reps this offseason with a full offseason of health, we'll see improvement and he'll knock down at a better clip. I'm talking about practice.

I also hope every single player on UR's team shoots better next year, so no need to harp on Goose by throwing stats at me. Sman has been an optimist in like every convo on here for 20+ years, but this one, I can't figure it out.

Practice.

Reactions: VT4700

I don’t think there is any reason to expect Goose to be a 3pt threat next year. Let’s make a bet, over or under 30 3FG made for Goose next year. I’ll take the under.

I don’t think there is any reason to expect Goose to be a 3pt threat next year. Let’s make a bet, over or under 30 3FG made for Goose next year. I’ll take the under.
What would you put the odds at of 24 of 75?

He won't need 30 to be a factor. It all depends on your definition of a threat. I am not asking or expecting him to be a Blake Francis out there. He had 5 multi 3 games last year, going 3-3, 3-4, 2-2, 2-4, and 2-6. Give me 8-10 games like that combined with his defense and that will be solid production.

Reactions: Eight Legger
"fact is our O flows much better with goose." How do we know this? Yes maybe with last years version, this years the jury is out . I think we all agree about the spot duty.
Past performance is no guarantee of future expectations, but there is enough body of work by Goose’s time at UR to make the statement that the original poster made. Of course next year’s version will be different than this year’s, but the safe bet would be to go with a known quantity. At this stage Goose is that until proven differently. He impresses me.

He won't need 30 to be a factor. It all depends on your definition of a threat. I am not asking or expecting him to be a Blake Francis out there. He had 5 multi 3 games last year, going 3-3, 3-4, 2-2, 2-4, and 2-6. Give me 8-10 games like that combined with his defense and that will be solid production.
Making less than one 3 per game is a non factor from 3 in my book. Especially if you are shooting 3 per game on average.

Reactions: spiderman
Blake shot .363 in 2019-20 and .360 in 2020-21 from 3.

Goose's role was not to be a three point threat in past years. Small shooting sample skews percentages. Doesn't translate to he is not capable.

He doesn't have to improve much to match Blake.

Making less than one 3 per game is a non factor from 3 in my book. Especially if you are shooting 3 per game on average.
I hear you, and that is why I mentioned the multi 3 games. Goose will not force shots, and will probably have some 0-1 or 1-1 type games from 3. Last year, he had 15 games with 0 or 1 attempts from 3. I think shooting just a few more, and making a few more could lead to the 8-10 games with multiple 3s I mentioned. Do that, and that is factor in my book, even if the total 3s made ends around 30.

Blake shot .363 in 2019-20 and .360 in 2020-21 from 3.

Goose's role was not to be a three point threat in past years. Small shooting sample skews percentages. Doesn't translate to he is not capable.

He doesn't have to improve much to match Blake.
Blake didn't get a lot of open looks. The other team never wanted to leave him open. His 36% was a solid 36%, and he could get hot and carry us from 3. Even if Goose matched Blake's percentage or came close to that, it wouldn't be the same in my opinion.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I hope we’re taking notes on what the Celtics just did to the Nets, and how they did it. Length, team defense, team offense. Some of the best basketball I’ve seen in a long time, especially out of the NBA.

I hope we’re taking notes on what the Celtics just did to the Nets, and how they did it. Length, team defense, team offense. Some of the best basketball I’ve seen in a long time, especially out of the NBA.
agree...but Steve Nash is horrible as Coach

Reactions: nathanw19
Never understood the fascination with Kyrie. You reap what you sow. The dude is a constant clown show.
Nets have stockpiled clowns. You've got I won't get anti-vax (which means he couldn't play in the half their games, flat-earth, middle finger giving Kyrie, Ben Simmons, who is so mentally fragile, he wouldn't even suit up, and then Durant who is has had his share of clownish moments. And then you put those 3 guys and their messed up egos on the same team. It was and is a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn't want Kyrie or Ben on my NBA team despite all of their immense talents. They could blow up your team for their own personal reasons at any point in time. Durant, I would take, but you have to surround Durant with high character, motivated players to get peak Durant. Nets have done the opposite.

Reactions: Eight Legger
the fascination with Kyrie Irving is that he is one of, if not the best ball-handler to ever play the game. He makes the game look easy in a way few others do. If you ever watch him play you’ll see a highlight or two every night.

Now the downside is that he acts like a star WR and that typically means a net negative to the team

I watched Kyrie play in h.s once, he had the same ability to finish over the trees and same ball handling. I think he lost the love of the game at some point. I think he likes the attention it garners him now, more than actually playing. I think he missed two weeks in one season - to attend his niece's birthday party. Crazy. Durant is busy fighting with Barkley on social media today. What a crew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT