ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to LAX

Spiders05

May 12, 2003
Richmond, VA
www.spidernation.com
Congrats to our new men's LAX team. They put together one hell of a game. Were up 9-6 at one point but couldn't pull off the upset and lost 13-12. Will be very interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out.

To play a program that is one of the best in the nation that close is amazing .
It's like our football team playing Clemson close.

I don't think our first D-1 win can be far away.

Great game by our first LAX team. Great crowd today, too, including some stunned Hoos fans. Will be talking about how lucky they were to pull this one out for a while. Hope fans show up for next week's game and cheer this team on to their first victory.

This was my second ever lacrosse game. Don't know much about it but it was a blast. This team has made a fan out of me. Can't wait for the next one.

I was talking to an All AMERICAN lacrosse player and coach on the professional team here in Maryland and I mentioned I was a Spider.
He couldn't say enough nice things about our head coach. His comment was-Richmond will be a school in the mix in a very short period of time.
This was a week before the UVA game.
I am excited about our future and hope our soccer fans can put their frustrations away and support this wonderful sport.

Annap, not about the sport, think all of us will support the team and know it is a good fit for UR, it was about dropping two men's sports and how it was handled. not about lax, about the admin and how they flubbed it.

Congrats to LAX on opening game, wish you success. Anna, if's not about LAX, never has been. LAX is a good sport for the school, but so are soccer, men's indoor and outdoor track. That's really three sports gone. Why? Ayers says part of the strategic plan -- what? He says we cannot have that many slots for athletes, why? Are athletes not students? Unfortunately for many years to come UR LAX will be a bitter reminder of the discrimination and blunder by the administration.

I'm on board with Lax. I've had 15 years of Lamentations and nothing changed. We had no internet website then to rally support and the other sports in our tier sat idly by. And now our alumni sit idly with by their purses sewn. So Lax is a new day to me, an emergence from the darkness. But I still will echo my cry from the wilderness, "The women are gorging themselves at the feed trough because of title ix, but have they stepped up to the alms plate?" No one has yet answered that question. Now the real dilemma, will I start to see all the local kids sporting UR Lax shirts under their Shock parkas wanting to play for or attend UR only to be told there are only a few slots available for admissions for Richmond/Virginia kids? There were a lot of kids there yesterday carrying their sticks. This is going to get interesting.

Bitter reminder of discrimination......

Really? According to the T-D stories and the Lax article posted on this string, it seemed everyone there on Saturday had a good time.

According to reports, there were 4,000+ at the RS on Saturday...How many were first time visitors to campus? How many will now come back for another lax game, hoops/football game or better yet, have their son/daughter apply to the school? I have no idea the answers to any of those questions, but it appears that this sport has opened up no doors to the community that did not exist before. So maybe this is a good thing for U of R in the RVA community (which we can't have enough of) , instead of the popular its the rich guys paying for a rich kids sport narrative....

Feelings were hurt, but a "bitter reminder"not sure that is the case.

That being said, like the "why don't the students show up to basketball games" thread, too much hot air and keystrokes wasted....Guilty as charged.
This post was edited on 2/10 8:45 AM by Spidersssssss

Originally posted by Anachnoid:
Now the real dilemma, will I start to see all the local kids sporting UR Lax shirts under their Shock parkas wanting to play for or attend UR only to be told there are only a few slots available for admissions for Richmond/Virginia kids?
Noid, I've helped out with admissions on a volunteer basis for ~ 10 years now, and haven't heard anything like the above. Do you have evidence of this, or is it just conjecture?

Equally qualified kid from RVA and a kid from Oklahoma, the Oklahoma kid probably gets in first, but I have never heard about a "cap."

Nice view of the stands during the game from UR Lax's twitter feed.

1795677_10152173809135758_1396667665_n.jpg

05, slots was probably the wrong term for me to use but you still hit the target. Kid who grows up loving UR, and attending all sorts of events on campus, bleeds the colors and is from Richmond, VA, and Admissions tells him sorry, all things being equal, we're taking the okie we met during a weekend visit, but thanks for being a supporter. I know one of those kids already, didnt get into UR his first choice, while growing up he attended fb and bb games, so he went to W&M. No rhyme or reason for him not getting in UR. And now I see him wearing g&g at UR-W&M fb games. I also disagree on limiting "alloted" slots for athletes.

it is called pursuing diversity, a very worthy goal in our country and within academia.

not to get off subject, go LAX guys
This post was edited on 2/10 4:08 PM by WebSpinner

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT