ADVERTISEMENT

Coming of (old) Age In style

tarrantula

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
May 8, 2003
I turned 70 on Thursday and devised the perfect celebration for the event. My wife and I and one of my golfing buddies and his spouse purchased tickets for The Greenbrier Classic and went up on Wednesday to watch some great golf and enjoy a musical trip down memory lane. The tickets were a fantastic bargain. For $159 per person, we got tickets to the entire tournament, including practice rounds and the musical concerts on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. Rooms at the Greenbrier were reserved for PGA personnel, so spectators had to stay elsewhere and we got rooms at a motel within commuting range. We went up Wednesday, played golf in Roanoke on the way, then finished the trip in time for the concert on Wednesday night..Lionel Richie and Toby Keith. Thursday and Friday we watched "The Old White" eat Tiger and Phil's lunches while munching on snacks of our own. The course has awning covered bleachers on most holes that offer great views, but if you really want to get up close and personal, bring a "bag chair" and sit right on the edge of some greens. I was pleased to note that the pros use some of the same phraseology I go to when they miss "four footers". Friday night we listened to "The Fray", a group I knew little about, but did recognize a couple songs and a guy whose songs are anthyms that invoke memories of much of my adult life....Rod Stewart.

For a milestone week in my life, I couldn't have found a more enjoyable or appropriate way to celebrate. My Dad loved to play golf and during the part of my childhood that our family lived in Roanoke, he frequently played the golf course that we played onWednesday. My best friend and I were reluctant caddies on many rounds played by our Dads and two of their good friends. I had not visited the course since my childhood and truly loved going back and remembering banter, slices and shanks from sixty years ago that are a rich part of the memories I have of my Dad. The songs of Lionel Richie and Rod Stewart are background music for some of the best years of my life. Toby Keith is my current favorite performer. His ballad.. "She didn't Say No, She Said 'Hell, No!" pretty well sums up my bachelor days.

Three days was quite enough for old geezers like us, so my wife and I gave our tickets for golf on Saturday and Sunday and the Jon Bon Jovi concert on Saturday night to a young couple we know well and came on home today. Will enjoy watching the rest of the tourney on TV and reflecting on what a great time we had recalling the many great times we've had.

Happy Birthday Tarrantula! Mine is today. I look forward to turning 70 to do something cool like that. Mine (64th) was spent fixing stuff in the yard and around the house, getting ready to move in 2 weeks. We're leaving southern Chesterfield and coming back to the city. Really looking forward to the convenience of being in town.

Congrats, BillyWayne..when you get up where we are, every birthday is a cause for celebration. I hope that you can find something as fun as our week for your 70th. I had to do some research on a case I was working on last week and found myself reading a case that immediately made me think of your dad...Palsgraf v. NYRR.

Congrats to both of you on the B-days.

Kid from my HS just wrapped up his freshman year at Alabama and won national collegiate golfer of the year and finished 26th in the Greenbrier outing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY T!! sounds like a fun time for you and your friends and spouses. what a special place the greenbriar is, take the "shelter tour" if you have not already, a really neat history lesson.

Congratulations to both of ou!! T, what a wonderful way to do it in style. We have a lot in common. BW, I will be 64 soon, do we know each other? Were you in a frat? I was a fiji...

Rick, I was one of your clan's next door neighbors (SPE). I finished law school about the time that you were finishing college, so we were at UR at the same time for a few years.

Happy Spider Birthday T & Billy! Any thought of a nice shiny Harley for your birthdays?
smile.r191677.gif

Rick:

Our paths have probably crossed at some point, but I'm not a UR undergrad. Did those 4 years at Hampden-Sydney...was a KA and graduated in 1970. Went to law school at Richmond, finishing in '73. I'm a lifelong Spider though as my Dad was on the UR faculty. Went to Spider games from infantcy (basketball team played in Benedictine's gym). As soon as I stopped going to games on my Dad's season tickets, I started buying my own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT