ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Game

I think both sides can be right. We were on the wrong side of some questionable calls for sure. But also couldn't execute down the stretch. Basically had to revert to hero ball, with our guards giving up 6 inches. Liked Dji taking his man off the dribble. Tyne still playing really well, but struggling to hit shots against bigger defenders so far.

I’ve come to terms with the fact that when you watch college basketball you know you’re going to be getting bottom tier officiating. Sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn’t, but typically it’s going to be D level refereeing.

There are probably 12 good college refs, and I feel like I’m being very generous with that number.

There were 62 D1 games tonight. That’s 184 refs and at best 172 bad refs out there for the night.

We didn’t lose because of a blown call with 4:16 left in the first quarter. Part of why we lost was because we had 13 turnovers to 6 assists. Part of it was because we failed to get key defensive rebounds down the stretch (why have Bigelow if you aren’t going to put him in for exactly that). And a big part of it is that we played a really good and athletic team with multiple playmakers and all sorts of size. That was a hell of a battle and I’m incredibly proud of them for the effort.

We hit our scoring drought at the wrong time. Just over 4 minutes left -we are down 1, looking good. We don't score 1 basket in about the next 3.30 and they build the lead and finish out the game.

Question - when we need a bucket, whether at the end of the game, or just to stop the bleeding from another teams run - who do we go to on this team? Do we have someone we can say - get us a basket, or at least - get to the free throw line and stop the run?

I don't think it accurate to blame this loss on officials. Colorado big, athletic, & physical for sure, but Spiders defense was aggressive as well. I thought Spiders held there own. Late game execution was the reason for the loss.
Correct. Refs were contributing factors, but plenty of things we did or didn’t do to hurt ourselves. Also Colorado just a more balanced team than us and getting contributions from more players than us.

We hit our scoring drought at the wrong time. Just over 4 minutes left -we are down 1, looking good. We don't score 1 basket in about the next 3.30 and they build the lead and finish out the game.

Question - when we need a bucket, whether at the end of the game, or just to stop the bleeding from another teams run - who do we go to on this team? Do we have someone we can say - get us a basket, or at least - get to the free throw line and stop the run?
I think we think Jordan King is that guy, he has shown he can make some nifty moves to the hoop and hit the step back jumpers. But, against these bigger p6 athletes, in two games - they put someone bigger and more physical on him in the last 5 minutes and he could not get a clean look. And in general I think they are letting guys play more at that time of game, so that plays more to the bigger athletes favor. And he is not quite like Kevin Anderson, who for his diminutive size, was pretty strong and savvy inside and could either hit the shot in the lane or get a big an easy lay up.

So, I think Mooney needs to come up with a new wrinkle. I do like Dji driving the lane, because if he gets stopped he has a knack to be able to dump it in to a Quinn or Bigs for the open look.

I think we think Jordan King is that guy, he has shown he can make some nifty moves to the hoop and hit the step back jumpers. But, against these bigger p6 athletes, in two games - they put someone bigger and more physical on him in the last 5 minutes and he could not get a clean look. And in general I think they are letting guys play more at that time of game, so that plays more to the bigger athletes favor. And he is not quite like Kevin Anderson, who for his diminutive size, was pretty strong and savvy inside and could either hit the shot in the lane or get a big an easy lay up.

So, I think Mooney needs to come up with a new wrinkle. I do like Dji driving the lane, because if he gets stopped he has a knack to be able to dump it in to a Quinn or Bigs for the open look.
Would love to see Quinn under the basket instead of above the foul line. Too bad we don't ever go to the offensive boards. King was very good. Baily's best game yet. Don't know why Roche played as much as he did. Noyes is not being given enough time to get into the offense which still doesn't generate shots. Most of our baskets seemed to come off one on one moves. Tyne also played well. it was a very physical game. If Colorado is a top twenty team, we must be in the top twenty five.

Agree here. Noyes is tall, his 3's look really good. Let's find him some shots. Or put him in the Roche role to be honest. Noyes 3's look as good as anyone's shooting them, just doesn't seem to be in the flow of the offense.
I don’t know about this one. That 3 where he hit the side (top?) of the backboard last night was pretty rough. But at least it provided some comic relief. I’m not looking to hate on the kid but last night he was the worst player on the court. Those were key minutes in a close loss that we played 5v4 on both sides of the court.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I missed a lot of the first half, so did not see Noyes shot. Thought he has looked pretty good in general, but this was a step up in comp - though he was effective vs BC.

Going to give some props to Quinn. Saw a few plays were he hustled to get back and help out, and came up with some big blocks. Great effort from the big guy.

Reactions: 64Spider
Easy to get up for a neutral court game against the #18 team in the country. Much more difficult (at least historically for us) to get up for the weeknight road games at Mason or St. Joe's, etc. Bring the same effort we had last night throughout our A10 schedule and we're a top-5 team. Slip up the way we often do, and we may we'll be 11th.

Good test today both physically and mentally. Physically - how do we recover on back to back games. And how do we match up with an UNLV team that should be similar to BC - very winnable game. Mentally - how do we prepare coming off 2 games we COULD have won, but let slip away. Would be nice to take 1 of these games before heading home and maybe start some sort of win streak with Queens coming up then back to road in Wichita.

If the 3s start falling this will be a very good team. Even just shooting 30% anbd this would have been an win. Until then I think we are middle of the pack A10.

Dji is emerging as a consistent offensive threat who can generate his own offense.

Didn't you tell me after VMI game there was nothing to worry about with the 3s?

Our defensive effort was outstanding. I thought Quinn battled his tail off in there, and I'm not sure he will play a more physical opponent than them. That big Lampkin dude seemed to shove Quinn and start elbowing him some every trip down, but Quinn hung with it, and held Lampkin to 6 points and 6 rebounds. The guys played hard for 40 minutes. Played through contact, and figured out ways to score.

I hope Hunt will be okay. I thought Tyne played well, but we need Hunt's scoring and ability to do something late in the clock. Tyne did a great job taking care of the ball. He missed some 3s, but his form looks good, and a couple of those shots seemed just as good as any other shots we were getting, so no issues with him shooting them.

King was outstanding. We need that from him every game. Dji played very well last night. Good quickness and driving to the hoop. He has been very impressive to start the year.

Bigs played well when in there, but needs to stay out of foul trouble. We need him on the floor. Harris looked good out there, and can definitely help. Walz battled and did well.

Roche needs to get going, and I think we have no choice but to keep giving him minutes to find his stroke. We just don't have enough outside shooting without him, and will need his 3s to win games this year.

Noyes had a very quiet game, and needs to show more.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Im not writing Noyes off yet. Last night was more of a meat grinder, defensive, low scoring game - and I'm not sure that's ever going to be the type of game he thrives in. When we get into some of the more up and down games is where I think he can and will have success.

But I do think it's time for Dji to get the start and bring in Noyes as the energy/spark off the bench type. Hopefully we get to see that tonight.

Last edited:
I think both sides can be right. We were on the wrong side of some questionable calls for sure. But also couldn't execute down the stretch. Basically had to revert to hero ball, with our guards giving up 6 inches. Liked Dji taking his man off the dribble. Tyne still playing really well, but struggling to hit shots against bigger defenders so far.
I counted more than 15 questionable calls, including 5 walks. No the refs tipped the balance in favor of the Buffaloes.

Lets not forgot - this is really Noyes first year playing college hoops in game experience. He redshirted frosh year. and played sparingly last year in 12 games - mostly 3-4 minutes a night in those games. So I think it might be a few more games before he finds a comfort level and maybe his role is ironed out.

I like what I see so far. He seems to be aggressive. He is making mistakes here and there - but that is expected. His shot does look good. I don't see him as a high volume shooter - but if given our shooting woes so far - I could see his looks increasing.

A couple comments/observations last night.

1. Losing teams always blame the refs. Hate that. Yeah, we had some calls go against us and the foul disparity was what it was, but the refs didn't lose the game for us. We lost the game because we didn't execute down the stretch (recurring theme for Mooney coached teams).
2. Defense was excellent all night, if we can play defense like that game in game out, we are going to be every game, no matter the opponent.
3. King is a baller, a healthy Dji is the weapon we always knew he would be, Quinn was excellent defensively all night.
4. Coaching matters 1: Use of timeouts: We had a group of 5 players (Kind, Dji, Tynne, Harris and Quinn) that we tried to close the game with. Those 5 probably don't play much together if at all in practice. Given that, it would seem like a good strategy to use our timeouts to settle that line-up, design a really good play on offense, but of course Mooney just let them play it out.
5. Coaching matters 2: Management of players in foul trouble. Bigelow picked up his 4th foul with 9 minutes left and then was planted on the bench until the game was out of reach with under a minute left. What in the F*ck are you saving him for, Mooney. If Big picks up his 5th foul, so be it, you then go with Harris anyway. But to take your best rebounder, one of your leading scorers, good FT shooter out for the last 9 minutes of the game and you don't put him back in until the game is essentially over makes zero sense.

Also my thoughts on Dji vs. Noyes starting. Dji needs to start. Not because Noyes is sucking it up (although he is making minimal impact), but you start Dji because Dji's play demands it. People view this as some type of demotion for Noyes, I view it rather as a promotion for Dji, reward his good/aggressive play. We always knew Dji was an excellent defender, we now see what a healthy Dji who is getting regular minutes can do on offense and we really need that on offense.

4. Coaching matters 1: Use of timeouts: We had a group of 5 players (Kind, Dji, Tynne, Harris and Quinn) that we tried to close the game with. Those 5 probably don't play much together if at all in practice. Given that, it would seem like a good strategy to use our timeouts to settle that line-up, design a really good play on offense, but of course Mooney just let them play it out.
devils advocate ... coaching does matter. and when I see a coach calling a timeout to design a good play on offense, my first thought it why didn't this coach prepare them for this situation? I have no problem with coach letting them play if they're prepared as they should be.
5. Coaching matters 2: Management of players in foul trouble. Bigelow picked up his 4th foul with 9 minutes left and then was planted on the bench until the game was out of reach with under a minute left. What in the F*ck are you saving him for, Mooney. If Big picks up his 5th foul, so be it, you then go with Harris anyway. But to take your best rebounder, one of your leading scorers, good FT shooter out for the last 9 minutes of the game and you don't put him back in until the game is essentially over makes zero sense.
yeah, I'm with you. so many coaches in effect foul their own players out by sitting them. drives me nuts.

as for your Noyes vs Bailey point ... a lot of coaches don't like to change starting lineups often. not sure why. but Bailey played starters minutes (27) and Noyes played bench minutes (10). that seems appropriate. Bailey is playing well.

as for your Noyes vs Bailey point ... a lot of coaches don't like to change starting lineups often. not sure why. but Bailey played starters minutes (27) and Noyes played bench minutes (10). that seems appropriate. Bailey is playing well.
Fair point, Bailey is playing starters minutes and I agree you don't want your starting line-ups to be constantly shifting. I suspect that Noyes gets a few more games to start and unless he really starts producing, Dji will be in the starting line -up before OOC is over.

Reactions: spiderman
devils advocate ... coaching does matter. and when I see a coach calling a timeout to design a good play on offense, my first thought it why didn't this coach prepare them for this situation? I have no problem with coach letting them play if they're prepared as they should be.
I also don't disagree. But I thought last night in particular we were running a line-up that I doubt anyone including players on the court and coaching staff expected us to using with the game on the line. As such, the head coach has got to coach and design plays for a group of 5 players who probably aren't all playing together at the same time, even in practice. Maybe use those timeouts to go offense and defense, get Roche/Bigs in their for offense and then Tynne/Harris for defense.

You can’t say officials didn’t play a vital role esp 2nd half. Colorado was physical the whole game and and only fouled 3 times in the 2nd…nahh officials played a key role tonight. We still needed to make shots but if you call it even in the 2nd it’s a different outcome imo.
Refs don’t fear Mooney

Very relevant, maybe respect is a better word.

I think refs find him more annoying than anything. They probably like him personally most ppl in the game seem to. But on the court idk. No way to prove simply my impression over the years. Certainly in early years. I think he’s gained more respect but for a 19 year dean of A10 coaches it’s not at level expected. Or we would probably get more calls.

For as much as some posters always complain bout the refs - and they can swing things in sports occasionally - u would think realize that human behavior can come into play, not all refs will be completely objective & can hold past grudges too.

Reactions: SpiderK
Shot-clock violations (or getting down to the last second before realizing it and then chucking up a prayer) are so frustrating, especially when they occur in front of your own bench.

Trap, I completely agree that nothing simulates real D1 game experience like real D1 game experience. A little debate a few of us have had over the years on here. So I am hopeful that in another month it all starts to come together for him. He has shown some flashes.
I think this comes down to coaching and systems. Some players in some schools seem to do better, quicker with little experience when the previous experience might be a year or two on the bench and practices. But some schools, and I think UR falls into this category - only games really help our players. I don't see us developing players in practice and Noyes is a good example. 2 years on the bench and practicing. And practicing against and watching some good players. But when its his time to play and get minutes, you still have to treat it like year 1. NOW - its still early, so maybe in a month or so like you say - it clicks for him and we see a guy who is shooting well, getting 5-7 a shots a night, and providing relief for Quinn and King from a scoring perspective. That would be ideal. If Noyes could average 8-10 points this year and maybe have a few games where he goes off and gets 15+ points - the future is bright for him.

Very relevant, maybe respect is a better word.
My perception is that Mooney is well respected on the court by officials. I think he has a way to get his point across without being Danny Hurley and looking like he is going to hunt down an official in his car after the game. I've seen Mooney work the ref before to get calls. There are many parts of Mooney job that I think he is substandard at, working the refs and having a good rapport to get calls is not one of them for me.

Don't give up on Noyes yet. Agree that he did nothing yesterday, and that he isn't being as aggressive on offense as team needs. BUT, he is a brand new buck rookie (as far as playing time). We generally agreed pre-season that he will have up and down outings. His shot is pure, he is athletic, and he has been rebounding fairly well for season.

The worry that I have is that you can see that Mooney is losing confidence in Noyes. Of course everyone knows that losing the coaches confidence is absolutely the WORST thing that can happen to an inexperienced player. If Mooney gives up on him and puts him in the quick yank and forget about me program then his season will continue to deteriorate. Coach Mooney, I can see that you are headed that way with Noyes over the last 2-games, please don't ruin Noyes season. It is up to you.

As far as Bailey getting the minutes he has, he deserves it, it should continue, and I think it has been good for the team! I would like to see Bailey and Noyes play together more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT