ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Game

I assume Noyes is hurt or didn’t get off the plane. Another good game for Bailey.

Tired of the lack of coaching in crunch time when there is no play and it’s every man for himself ending with a ton of dribbles and a bad shot by King. Also tired of hearing what a great three point shooter Roche is. He’s a streaky shooter. Some games he will look amazing, but the majority he will look like just a guy.

I hope one day for RIchmond to discover that it can keep shooting and be succesful. I also hope that all conference officiating cleans up its act; and I sincerely plead that these annoying play-by-play guys will be sent back to high school to train until they are good enough to call a college game. Finally, can we bring weapons with rubber bullets and shoot these Grade D and F color commentators until they run away and we can get volunteers who are better?

Sort of amazed that we were that close despite being so bad from three. I would say it bodes well for games when we do shoot well from deep, but watch us make 15 of them tomorrow and lose by 10.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
this board is F-ing incredible. Last year it was why isn't Noyes playing.....(even though he was playing the same position as an A-10 All Star), now its bury him after 4 games...... I know that he's not playing well, but someone w/ that athleticism you have to do what you can to try and get him going. Having some good play coming off the bench is okay and Dji is usually in by the first TV TO and getting most of the crunch time minutes.

We had a great game plan--we executed it, didn't get killed on the boards, the whistle went against us (the charge of Tyler harris was particularly bad in the first). We had a couple of loose possesions that cost us late in the game.

I was watching the game with one eye so I may have missed it but didn't really see the egregious no-calls everyone else did. Three fouls in the half until the final seconds is a bit odd though.

Reactions: Zeeter
I was watching the game with one eye so I may have missed it but didn't really see the egregious no-calls everyone else did. Three fouls in the half until the final seconds is a bit odd though.
EL-College basketball has changed the rules so that most block/charges are getting called "blocks". That's the first charge I have seen. That is the one specific that went against us.

In a game that physical, played hard by both teams, one would think that the whistles would be a little more balanced, instead of one team never making it to the 1-1

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I listened to it on the radio while watching the game. Greg and Bob pointed out the walks. The missed calls. The blown calls. There was one call, when a Colorado player took a charge, but one foot was clearly on the arc. He fouled our shooter, who still made the shot. The refs wouldn't even look at the replay. Instead, we were called for a foul and they went on a five point run. We should have had a 3 point play. It cost us the game.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I listened to it on the radio while watching the game. Greg and Bob pointed out the walks. The missed calls. The blown calls. There was one call, when a Colorado player took a charge, but one foot was clearly on the arc. He fouled our shooter, who still made the shot. The refs wouldn't even look at the replay. Instead, we were called for a foul and they went on a five point run. We should have had a 3 point play. It cost us the game.
Dji was killed on the baseline with the hip check from 44 but they called him outbounds which was horrible. The charge in the 1st was also super duper horrible 🤦🏼‍♂️. Proud of the guys for the fight. Colorado was big and physical and we held our own. Too bad the officials took it away from us.

I thought effort was good. Defense and rebounding was better than normal in my opinion. King scored and Bailey played pretty well (though a little up and down). Thought Quinn & Tyne played pretty well overall, but Tyne's scoring has a long way to go.

If we want to give a moral victory award or a good loss trophy, I'd say this is it.

However, once again when the game was on the line, crunch time, many of the same issues showed themselves to prevent the win. When the same problems repetitively prevent you from coming out on top in close games, you have a coach problem.

Situational player management can again be questioned. Noyes & Roche didn't get it done, and Hunt was apparently hurt, BUT, the team on the floor much of the last 3-4 minutes (W/L time) couldn't score enough to get the W. Offensive execution in last 3-4 minutes was mostly not good. As PASpider said "no play and it’s every man for himself ending with a ton of dribbles and bad shot(s). I have to agree, add a couple of untimely turnovers, we have seen this same ending many times.

As has been the case for much of the Mooney era, there is enough talent to have a better than average winning season. But, as has also been the case during the Mooney era, something is keeping the Spiders from being all that they can be. You can decide for yourself what it is that is holding the team back, but there is no doubt in my mind.

A 2-2 record that SHOULD be 3-1, or potentially even 4-0, is frustrating to no end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
I don't think it accurate to blame this loss on officials. Colorado big, athletic, & physical for sure, but Spiders defense was aggressive as well. I thought Spiders held there own. Late game execution was the reason for the loss.

Reactions: ManiBenton
We are not far from being pretty good. Blowing layups, missing short jumpers, and having "paddle hands" instead of snaring rebounds like our lives depend on them all needs to be practiced unmercifully. And referees as bad as the ones tonight should get a talking to by their commissioner. And the play-by-play and color announcers should be run over by a cement mixer.

We need to come out tomorrow and punch UNLV in the throat, then step on them while they're choking. If we do, I'll have a different sense about this team than about most of ours in years past.

Too many times in the past we've played close games like this against good teams, then followed them up with clunkers against worse teams.

I don't think it accurate to blame this loss on officials. Colorado big, athletic, & physical for sure, but Spiders defense was aggressive as well. I thought Spiders held there own. Late game execution was the reason for the loss.
You can’t say officials didn’t play a vital role esp 2nd half. Colorado was physical the whole game and and only fouled 3 times in the 2nd…nahh officials played a key role tonight. We still needed to make shots but if you call it even in the 2nd it’s a different outcome imo.

You forgot to also say aggressive, which the Buffalos were on D but happen to only commit 3 fouls in the 2nd half. This game was decided by the refs. Sorry but its true.

Dji was killed on the baseline with the hip check from 44 but they called him outbounds which was horrible. The charge in the 1st was also super duper horrible 🤦🏼‍♂️. Proud of the guys for the fight. Colorado was big and physical and we held our own. Too bad the officials took it away from us.
Pathetic pathetic, obviously biased refereeing. Really sad and not even trying to hide how obvious it is. The out of bounds call you mention was ridiculous. He was pushed out of bounds. Cball at its worst tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT