ADVERTISEMENT

College of Charleston Game Thread 11/14/2022

Wow, looks like SDad liked this post. I guess he thinks we have better options? Seriously???? And, imagine if this gets back to the locker room. "Hey Goose, Dji's Dad liked a post saying you don't belong on the floor." I mean, what the heck, man? Be smarter than that.
relax dude...I'm not taking the bait this time. Stop being the like button police!

relax dude...I'm not taking the bait this time. Stop being the like button police!
You don't have to take the bait, but it is ridiculous for you of all people to like a post like that. That is right up with you liking posts that criticized Nick and Tyler last year. But, if anyone says anything negative about....well, nevermind. The sooner you realize a certain player is just not close to the player Goose is, the better.

A great game, would have love to come out with W. But Liked the effort tonight and I’m pretty confident we can go 9-4 or 10-3 in non con. MUST win the games vs Wichita, CSU, FDU, and Bucknell, and go 2-3 or 3-2 vs Cuse, Temple/St johns, @Toledo, vs Drake. I think that’s doable and hopefully we’ll be improved by conference play

A great game, would have love to come out with W. But Liked the effort tonight and I’m pretty confident we can go 9-4 or 10-3 in non con. MUST win the games vs Wichita, CSU, FDU, and Bucknell, and go 2-3 or 3-2 vs Cuse, Temple/St johns, @Toledo, vs Drake. I think that’s doable and hopefully we’ll be improved by conference play
Def can't knock the effort. We had some guys make bad decisions whether they were young or Vets, those certain plays hurt. I can understand to a degree with some young guys but the Vets can't make some of the mistakes they made...But agree with you, and believe we could go 10-3. We can learn a lot by this game and film study.

You don't have to take the bait, but it is ridiculous for you of all people to like a post like that. That is right up with you liking posts that criticized Nick and Tyler last year. But, if anyone says anything negative about....well, nevermind. The sooner you realize a certain player is just not close to the player Goose is, the better.
You are literally the worst some times. How unnecessary and not even a good point at the end. Simply not true. And I’m not saying that so you write another post explain your previous two.

I thought the team showed a lot of heart in not giving up and almost making an incredible comeback. It is hard to win when a guys make 9 3 pointer (counting the 3 free throws) against you. Saw great things from a lot of guys. I also think Mooney has done a terrific job in all 3 2nd halfs we have played. We have a good team.

Was not able to watch it and could only listen to the first part and then the last 5 minutes plus OT. Hurts a ton to come back from that huge deficit, go up 5 in OT, and somehow still fail to finish.

Between this game, the UR football game, and the Bills game yesterday, it's sure been a crazy few days of ups and downs.

Wow, looks like SDad liked this post. I guess he thinks we have better options? Seriously???? And, imagine if this gets back to the locker room. "Hey Goose, Dji's Dad liked a post saying you don't belong on the floor." I mean, what the heck, man? Be smarter than that.

its a bad look. I’d like to say I’m surprised it gets defended on here but I’m not.

Reactions: VT4700
its a bad look. I’d like to say I’m surprised it gets defended on here but I’m not.
No doubt. It's a very very bad look. Imagine if Goose's Dad liked a post asking why is a guy out there who had 3 turnovers in 6 minutes and has a 1 assist/7 turnovers ratio on the year?

That was a pretty rough listen bc multiple times the team seemed to be one play - a defensive rebound, a stop, a bucket, one FT (in regulation and OT had one late miss each), maybe a call - from the win. Listening on the radio call couldn't really tell what happened on the last offensive set in regulation but I mean, how is Tyler not shooting the ball there? I'm very happy that we have a guy in Nelson who wants the ball at the end of shot clocks / games, but in that instance, you gotta recognize who needs that shot.

If refs won't call a flop in a deciding moment, they shouldn't call it in regular game flow, much less twice. That's a bad rule if it forces refs to have to ignore the previously established standards they've set once endgame rolls around.

Bottom line, it never should have been in the refs' hands. Don't fall behind by 21 points, period. Just once it would be nice to start the year with more than two or three wins in a row. I'm sure Mooney was very excited about the "comeback" (loss) in the postgame interview, though.

That was a pretty rough listen bc multiple times the team seemed to be one play - a defensive rebound, a stop, a bucket, one FT (in regulation and OT had one late miss each), maybe a call - from the win. Listening on the radio call couldn't really tell what happened on the last offensive set in regulation but I mean, how is Tyler not shooting the ball there? I'm very happy that we have a guy in Nelson who wants the ball at the end of shot clocks / games, but in that instance, you gotta recognize who needs that shot.

If refs won't call a flop in a deciding moment, they shouldn't call it in regular game flow, much less twice. That's a bad rule if it forces refs to have to ignore the previously established standards they've set once endgame rolls around.
With Valentine as one of the refs, a lot of fouls are going to be called, no way around it.

Most disappointing part of last night was Quinn’s performance. He looked slow and easily held down on rebounds. Let’s hope last night was just a bad matchup for him against a smaller but athletic team. Good job Mooney in making the necessary lineup changes. Bad job Mooney in not going to the press earlier, particularly when I heard from the announcers that CoC is known to struggle against it.

I’m still so disappointed in this loss. Hated the officiating at the end.
Rebounding needs to be better. Reality is we were never going to go undefeated but this loss stings. Big game Thursday night!
agreed...2nd half we played better but Smith had 29 and we have to be better defensively up top on the ball. When you have a shooter like Smith you can't play that far off of him, esp after he's hit 2 or 3 straight. Thats not on the coach that's on the guys who are guarding him, period. We have to do a better job of defending, which we can, we've shown we can. I think most of knew the new flop rule but if we are calling it in the 1st half we have to call it in the 2nd as well. As a team we can't be up 5 under a min and lose because of mistakes. We are going to see much better guards in the A10 with VCU, SLU, and Dayton esp. so put this behind us and just go get better. Thurs night is a huge game, win that and head into NY with winning 3 out of 4.

Didn't have opportunity to watch or listen. Based on this thread sounds like a major issue was our defense and rebounding/toughness, issues for the last 10 years. Looked good 1st 2 games vs mediocre competition on these fronts. The positive is that I do believe these are areas Boyden is working on, and we did look better 1st couple games. These are areas that aren't going to be fixed in a day, so hoping we can continue to build and get better as season rolls around.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
When you have a shooter like Smith you can't play that far off of him, esp after he's hit 2 or 3 straight. Thats not on the coach that's on the guys who are guarding him, period.
Sdad, going to disagree to an extent here. Yes, player should have this awareness. But, this is coaching/culture. This should be something that gets u yanked from a game and corrected asap, like Mooney will do with a turnover. Hoping Boyden can drive this improvement. First game I saw Quinn make an incredibly weak play, and immediately saw Boyden pull him over to correct/encourage, whichbI found encouraging, because normally our coaches only seem worried about offense and turnovers. So again, my hope is Boyden continues to have a voice and drive this part of the game.

You can't get destroyed on the glass and expect to win games against quality teams. Much better in second half, but they still had some offensive rebounds at critical times. Have to rebound, period. CM needs to implement the press more often this year and use the depth that the team has. The press seemed to give our team a boost.

You would have thought we'd have learned last year that pressing can work for us. Seemed like when we did it then (usually in the last 10 minutes if a game, again) it worked. We have a ton of depth this year, as you said -- use it! I don't know why we take so long to make changes like this, especially after getting torched doing things the other way.

Puzzled by ref inconsistency on "flop" calls. We get called twice in first half and they are awarded by one shot technical fouls. In waning moments Charleston player flops after incidental contact with Burton and nothing is called. My opinion does not matter to refs but thought in first half they should have given warning and moved on. But since they set the precedent for technical free throw how could they rationalize a "no call" when Charleston player did same thing? Illogical,

Sdad, going to disagree to an extent here. Yes, player should have this awareness. But, this is coaching/culture. This should be something that gets u yanked from a game and corrected asap, like Mooney will do with a turnover. Hoping Boyden can drive this improvement. First game I saw Quinn make an incredibly weak play, and immediately saw Boyden pull him over to correct/encourage, whichbI found encouraging, because normally our coaches only seem worried about offense and turnovers. So again, my hope is Boyden continues to have a voice and drive this part of the game.
Very fair argument and prob your argument is better made. I def agree about getting yanked but it has to be consistent too, for all players. Some players are allowed more grace(no pun intended) to mess up. Bench, correct and let player A return. Now if they continue to hurt the team, they should sit but some do not. I saw Coach Boyden do this as well and really like it and would agree with you about Coach cont to have an impact and voice, really really like him.

Reactions: spider23
Dude you didn’t even watch the game. Everybody knew he was going to shoot but the players played so soft against him. He was not a threat to drive the ball or dish it.

Putting Randolph on him was a mistake. Guy was way too eager and looked like he was going to foul him every other second.

Normally we praise goose for his defensive effort. I don’t think we can say that last night.

1. Hopefully Grace is OK. We need him
2. Just one game, but interesting to see Quinn's minutes and Stat line. When we signed him, I questioned what type of numbers Grace would have dropped in the Patriot League. Looks like Bigs and Burton on the court a lot.
I have seen some good stuff from Quinn this year, but still concerns about pairing him and Grace, which looks like Bigs or Burton ate up big minutes at the big forward.

Dude you didn’t even watch the game. Everybody knew he was going to shoot but the players played so soft against him. He was not a threat to drive the ball or dish it.

Putting Randolph on him was a mistake. Guy was way too eager and looked like he was going to foul him every other second.

Normally we praise goose for his defensive effort. I don’t think we can say that last night.
Haha, so having watched Mooney for years and reading all of these other posters comment I have been conversing with for years, I am not qualified. Okey dokey. I think Mooney has finally seen the light in some areas, and like what Boyden is doing, but definitely seems that ages old moon coaching deficiencies reared their head, including the kill your own momentum TO. Don't have to watch the game to know some things.

Reactions: whampas
Oh no! What if Matt Grace's uncle's best friend's daughter sees this, leaves a note in the locker room and sends a screenshot to the prime minister of Canada?! You just started an international conflict!!!
sorry had to hit the laugh button...I'm batting 0 for 2 now :eek:😂

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg
Status quo. Mooney takes the air out of the ball with a 5 point lead....Spidernation blaming the refs. All these years, nothing changes. And reading the quotes from Mooney and the players, they were almost giddy over the (almost) comeback.

I myself have grown tired of moral victories.

That was painful last night … only one game I realize but clearly a missed opportunity given the leads we claimed both in regulation and overtime.

On a more positive note, had a great chat with Will Gipe’s parents at the hotel before heading to bed. Improved my mood a bit … just a bit.

I watch the game. I think it is the best, worse game we played. Comeback play shows strong hearts so early in season. Many years of watching this not to happen early in season in other years we all watch we know this. One is I think it is important for Nelson in establish strong drive to basket early early early this open up the game for us I think . I was very surprised by this comeback but happy to build on this power for later games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT