ADVERTISEMENT

Chevez Goodwin - Power forward

Ulla1

Head Coach
Apr 21, 2011
It has been mentioned that the Spiders offered Chevez Goodwin, a power forward from Columbia, SC and team mate of Seventh Woods. Check out this nice video of Chavez.

great size. very young in this video (from last summer, and he's a 2017), but a few eye opening moments. impressive.

Two of the more interesting left off that list are Houston & Charlotte...

I just Googles Chevez Goodwin and found some video, and an interview. He is listed at 6-8, 190. I am usually pretty impressed by "highlights" videos, but I came away unimpressed by this one. The differnce in aggressiveness and jumping ability between Chevez and Miles Thomas, another possible recruit, is HUGE. The coaches will do their evaluations, and they may have seen him playing with more aggressiveness than what shows up in his U-tube videos, but I doubt that. A second possible concern, is that we are cleearly the top basketball school in his "top-6," so I'm hoping that if this visit will happen that it will be after several others. I'm not sold on this one.

Also just saw that Jordan Bruner had anounced a top-5 and that we were not included. It had some impressive schools, like Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, but also Temple and Yale. So, one of our top "bigs" candidates appears to no longer be in contention.

I still really like miles Thomas, with the most impressive highlights video in a long time. And, with some weight training he can definitely play the Deion Taylor role, of a defensive enforcer, which we will need. He averaged close to 4 blocks per game, and he can play the 4, if not now, then in a couple of years...

weight training? Thomas is 170 lbs! impressive video but he is what he is, a really good SF. he was supposedly coming for a visit, but no word likely means that was cancelled upon the Sherod verbal. consider him done.

we need size and our staff likes Goodwin. and he's showing us interest, so I'm certainly excited about that. he does a lot of good things in the videos. never backs up for sure. really attacks the offensive rim. handle is very good at his size, showed a nice look away pass of the dribble and a quick spin. sizes are always in question, but he looks like a true big man. he's the best looking big so far that I've seen mentioning that he's interested in us and not the other way around.

Bruner was never happening. you see that with some lists. he got into the big pool like Painter and Sacha and Curtis Jones. I really like Hazen. I don't like going up against Maryland for him, but they could fill his spot. and I think Goodwin could be a guy who might take a year but could be a factor after that.

Agree with your assessment, sman. Just a stab in the dark, but I'm feeling Chevez Goodwin and Grant Golden as our 2 bigs.

Agree with your assessment, sman. Just a stab in the dark, but I'm feeling Chevez Goodwin and Grant Golden as our 2 bigs.
Mo, I tend to agree. The Spiders will have a plethora of scorers, now need to get some enforcers.

Not that I think it matters but did we see Grant Golden get the offer from GMU Friday? I missed it.

Aren't we scrambling a bit for 2 SF/PF when we offer two of "our top targets" as late as 7/30 & 7/28?

Seems that other SF/PF players who received UR offers have moved on.

I'm a pigskin guy.Please excuse my roundball ignorance.Nice game though.

32, why do I have this feeling that the next positive thing you post about our staff's management of the program will be your first?

No. We are not 'scrambling'. We have 2 commits for 2016. I believe all A10 schools may have an aggregate of 6 or 7 committed 2016 players right now.

liked what I saw, would love to see how he held up when the other man initiated hard contact down low

I like Chavez - and I agree that we are his best remaining offer. Let's get him and also get Clevon Brown from San Antonio. If you haven't seen him yet, watch his video on VerbalCommits.com. Only bad news is that he has recently confirmed that he is making a visit to Texas - he may want to stay close to home. Our Texas kids need to tell him how great it is in Richmond.

UPDATE on 8/5/2015: Clevon Brown is down to ten schools, and we're not one of them. I do credit our coaching staff for recognizing talent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Clevon-Brown-157536

Last edited:
weight training? Thomas is 170 lbs! impressive video but he is what he is, a really good SF. he was supposedly coming for a visit, but no word likely means that was cancelled upon the Sherod verbal. consider him done.

we need size and our staff likes Goodwin. and he's showing us interest, so I'm certainly excited about that. he does a lot of good things in the videos. never backs up for sure. really attacks the offensive rim. handle is very good at his size, showed a nice look away pass of the dribble and a quick spin. sizes are always in question, but he looks like a true big man. he's the best looking big so far that I've seen mentioning that he's interested in us and not the other way around.

Bruner was never happening. you see that with some lists. he got into the big pool like Painter and Sacha and Curtis Jones. I really like Hazen. I don't like going up against Maryland for him, but they could fill his spot. and I think Goodwin could be a guy who might take a year but could be a factor after that.
Looks like Painter just confirm the inevitable, no Richmond.

I like Chavez - and I agree that we are his best remaining offer. Let's get him and also get Clevon Brown from San Antonio. If you haven't seen him yet, watch his video on VerbalCommits.com. Only bad news is that he has recently confirmed that he is making a visit to Texas - he may want to stay close to home. Our Texas kids need to tell him how great it is in Richmond.
Stork, Clevon Brown would be awesome.

I remember following all of the big man names all year a while back, then hearing Terry Allen's name for the 1st time about a day before he verballed. sign me up for another find like that.
Hazens' my favorite. I like Clevon but don't see it happening. I see potential in Chavez.

Sounds like we may be looking to get remaining targets on campus after school starts. The team is gone the next few weeks so there isn't an opportunity to build relationships there. I'd expect we'll try to get De'Monte and Nick on campus for the football home opener on 9/19 and that we'll try to get priority frontcourt targets on campus then too for some relationship building. Just an educated guess.

Just saw two big men being courted by Jenkins, Lewis, and Jones. Anyone know who they are?

Again, it troubles me that Goodwin's best offer is from us, but at least they are D1 offers. We seem to do much better recruiting-wise when a kid picks us and on paper, we are not their best offer.

I'd like to see us offer a big who has a couple of better or perhaps equivalent offers. That would give us some latitude to go after a second big who maybe doesn't have better offers (or maybe he does) or who might be more of a project/upside player like Harper was coming out of HS.

Perhaps we should take a closer look at Michael Tertsea from Baltimore by way of Nigeria. The word is that he is an outstanding student, and UVA is the only school on the interest list that is an academic powerhouse. Kid has the grades, all the physical tools, just needs to develop. We should offer this kid, and get him down for a football game this fall:

http://www.scout.com/college/maryland/story/1368921-renaissance-man-emerging-at-john-carroll?s=394

While I am unaware of a firm offer, I heard that UConn was interested in Chavez.

If anybody knows who the two "bigs" are that are visiting today, would love to know. Anybody?

Am also hoping that we have some recruits who we want to bring in before Chevez. If I am any judge of talent, and if the videos are representative of the player's skills, Chevez should not be first in line for a "real" offer. He may develop into a top-notch player, but would love to see us bring in two "rim-protector" defensive gems, who can block shots and hold their ground, now. I don't see him as "A-10 ready." meaning that a red-shirt migth be likely. Chevez looks to me to be 3 years away from being an A-10 "force." If we bring him in for a visit this week, and offer him, then I hope I am wrong. If he has the potential to be an ANO or a DT, defensively, and to be stronger offensively, then I just missed it in the videos.

I don't know how good Chevez is, but his teammate Seventh Woods has an offer from North Carolina despite stats that overall aren't much better than his.

Chevez:
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/che...OzMAAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Seventh:
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/seventh-woods/clErqvTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

Well, Seventh and Chavez play completely different positions so comapring stats isn't apples to apples.

Based on the site you linked Seventh had ~4 more points, 3 more assists, and 3 more steals per game than Chavez. That is a significant difference. Seventh is also a consensus top 50 recruit, one of the most athletic players in his class...

He is only 6'0 and dunks with ease:

Last edited:
I think you guys might be underestimating Chavez. yes, some of the highlight was little flips at the basket. but there were flashes, too. and whatever was there wasn't enough to offer after last year. we're offering now after CM watched this summer. Seems there's been big improvement.

Columbia, SC (Future150) -- It was only a few months ago when 2016 PF Chevez Goodwin only had a few low major offers to his name. Now the big man holds eight offers and has a plethora of schools, including some high majors, on the verge of offering.

Goodwin is a member of the Upward Stars AAU program, which also includes other future Division one players like Xzaiver Barmore, Alex Caldwell (15u), Brevin Galloway, and Braden Galloway (15u).

He has taken full advantage of playing for a high level program this LIVE period as he has impressed plenty of college coaches.

from May:
Goodwin, a 6-foot-8 stretch 4 man, had a great showing at #Gibbons. He showed a good skill level, the ability to hit the 3, and a high motor.

Goodwin only has two offers to date.

“Charleston Southern and College of Charleston have offered,” Goodwin told HoopSeen.com. “UConn, Houston, Tennessee, ECU, Georgia Tech, Appalachian State, Wofford, and Davidson are also recruiting me.”

With a steady base of schools involved, expect big things to come Goodwin’s way as the summer progresses.
---------------

Some of you want to wait until UConn, Tennessee, Ga Tech and more have offered before being sure ... but by then it's too late.

Sometimes guys just "get it," and "blow-up" in their senior years, or even the summer before it. The red flags for me, based on last year, and last year's video, for Chevez, are: 1) 6-8, 190 is a bit slim, suggesting the need for weight work, 2) his assists per game is really low, suggesting that his passing is not yet there, 3) His blocks per game is under 1. We looked at a 6-6/170 guy's video last week who had 3.4 blocks, and could sky much higher. Finally, his steals was also under 1. If we want a true "defensive force," and that would be ideal, Chevez had not yet shown this by the end of his junior year. He may have suddenly gotten it and blown-up, and those stats may chnge drastically, but my point is that his stats have a long way to go to be impressive, even against top competition. If he was on campus today, and the coaches want him, they have seldom been wrong about our top targets. If he was not, I hope we get the guys who visited today! .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT