Breakfast with Danny,Wednesday-August 3rd,Jepson Alumni Center

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
spiderclubblue.gif

July 2016 SPIDER CLUB HOMEPAGE spiderclub@richmond.edu
Breakfast with Head Football Coach Danny Rocco
The Spider Club, University of Richmond Alumni Association, and Owen & Owens invite you to breakfast with Head Football Coach Danny Rocco. Join us for a preview of the 2016 football season as your #4 ranked Spiders look to defend their CAA title.

Wednesday August 3, 20167:30amUniversity of RichmondJepson Alumni Center

Registration requested by Wednesday, July 27th.

https://uronline.net/oacs-events/20...854&trid=f858f859-9eca-4153-ab21-450ea4f1829d

Register Online or phone the Office of Alumni Services at (804) 289-8027.

Kindly hosted by the Spiders at Owen & Owens: Partners Joe Owen, B'72, Mary Owens, L'86, and Sam Kaufman, '99, along with associated Erica Baez, L'10, Julie Cillo, Amy Hensley, and Jeremiah Yourth.

Last edited:
RTD 7/31

UR won't hesitate to play true freshmen

A large majority of true freshmen redshirt, using that extra year to add size and strength for four seasons of eligibility. Richmond may play more true freshmen than usual this year, coach Danny Rocco said.

He mentioned 5-foot-9 running back Xavier Goodall (Henrico High) as one of the true freshmen he will closely evaluate in preseason practice.

"I've been real pleased with this incoming group. They all have value. They all look like they can do what we brought them here to do," Rocco said. "I think every year, you owe it to your seniors to put the best product on the field that you can possibly put out there. If that means you're going to play a couple of freshmen you would not have played if your mindset was a little different …"

The Spiders shared the CAA championship with W&M and JMU last season and are picked to win the league. UR, which opens at Virginia on Sept. 3, may insert true freshmen on special teams and use them more on offense or defense as the season progresses, Rocco suggested.

"As you aspire to get into the postseason, to manage your roster you've got to really be able to maximize everybody you have if you plan on playing into December," he said.

The Spiders advanced to the 2015 FCS semifinals, playing 14 games and ending Dec. 18 with a 33-7 loss at eventual champion North Dakota State.

The Ulla was unable to make it to the breakfast from Maryland. Could someone provide an update? Thank you! OSC

• Broadus will be used more. Lauletta and Broadus will be in the backfield at the same time
  • Very good group of offensive linemen
  • Gordon Collins will have the inside track at RB, Believes that freshman Xavier Goodall will be good.
  • Overall very positive about the team

Great event, much larger turnout than past years. Rocco really discussed all the personnel at length. There seems to be tremendous confidence in where we are and where we are going.

He glowed about many, many players. A couple new guys that he made a point to mention...

1-He had really positive things to say about Xavier Goodall. It sounds like he's going to get a real chance to contribute.
2- Also said some great things about Javarius Little. I didn't realize that he had played with David Jones in High School.

One thing that he mentioned that caught my ear is that we play 3 CAA teams coming off their Bye. DR said that he offered some gripes to the CAA brass about this when in Baltimore.

Does anyone know which 3 CAA opponents are the ones we play coming off a Bye?

Thanks. I can barely remember what i ate for dinner last night.

One other interesting thing that he said when asked about the schedule was that the schedule might 'look a certain way now' but end up 'looking a lot different when looking back on it later'. He cited the fact that Colgate wasn't nearly as strong when we signed the contract with them 4 years ago as they are now.

I interpreted this as his way of saying that there may be some sleepers laying deeper in the preseason CAA rankings - it plays into my thought that Towson and/or Villanova will contend this year.

Thanks. I can barely remember what i ate for dinner last night.

One other interesting thing that he said when asked about the schedule was that the schedule might 'look a certain way now' but end up 'looking a lot different when looking back on it later'. He cited the fact that Colgate wasn't nearly as strong when we signed the contract with them 4 years ago as they are now.

I interpreted this as his way of saying that there may be some sleepers laying deeper in the preseason CAA rankings - it plays into my thought that Towson and/or Villanova will contend this year.
Towson for sure. They have a very good coach.

Doubt it will happen. I would love to see the Barneys in last placr in the conference. Better yet, have 'em go 0-11 in 2016 !

frs, umwcah has very good, no-nonsense coach now, be aware. did anyone ask DR about his contract?

Interesting to note there are 94 players on the team with 35 freshmen or red shirt freshmen. That's a lot of walk ons with approximately 14 schollies available. Coach also noted he had more attend his camps this summer almost all of which were invited after a screening process. Coach had high praise for his offensive & defensive coordinators saying they had a lot of experience & got along well with the players. He did confirm Nelson , 5th yr sr from VMI was on the roster & we have 4 verbal commits so far.

^^I do believe he was including kids that redshirted last year in that freshman number.

His roster management has been remarkably impressive.

Nelson has been added to roster fwiw. Really like having a proven FCS player as grad transfer, more unique & have a good feeling about him. But really all 3 grad transfers look promising.

Anyone know if much is expected of the DB transfer Lemond Johnson from TN that was injured last year? Think we had another from UNC last year too but guess he's gone. Memory may be off on that one.

Nelson has been added to roster fwiw. Really like having a proven FCS player as grad transfer, more unique & have a good feeling about him. But really all 3 grad transfers look promising.

Anyone know if much is expected of the DB transfer Lemond Johnson from TN that was injured last year? Think we had another from UNC last year too but guess he's gone. Memory may be off on that one.

Are you thinking of TE Garrett Hudson? He's still on the team as a RS-JR

DB Kameron Jackson. Was injured in the first game last year.

I can't recall if DR mentioned Lemond Johnson, specifically. He mentioned Coniker as the likely replacement for David Herlocker at Safety. He mentioned Little from Illinois as a guy that could 'play all over' on the defense.

I believe the kid Jackson from North Carolina was injured last year and exhausted his NCAA eligibility in the process.

And yes, Garrett Hutson is also from North Carolina and expected to be a big contributor again at Tight End.

I wouldn't be surprised if a true freshman got into the rotation, particularly at corner. Jordan, Keels and Mainsah have all shown ability but we could probably use just a little more depth there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT