ADVERTISEMENT

Breakfast with Coach Huesman 8/4 7:30am

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
The University of Richmond Alumni Association and Spider Club invite you to join fellow alumni and friends for a Pre-Season Breakfast with head football coach Russ Huesman.

Friday, August 4
7:30 a.m.

Jepson Alumni Center
University of Richmond

Registration requested by Monday, July 24.

REGISTER ONLINE or phone the Office of Alumni and Career Services at (804) 289-8030.

Give Spence in the Spider Club a call and check. Its is one of the best events of the year. If you are a Spider Fan you definitely don't want to miss it.

Kindly hosted by the Spiders at Owen & Owens: Partners Joe Owen, B '72, Mary Owens, L '86, and Sam Kaufman, '99, along with associates Erica Baez, L '10, Julie Cillo, Amy Hensley, Ross Allen, Jeremiah Yourth, and Jacob Pierce, '14 and L '17.

Any reports from this morning?
Very entertaining & informative event. unfortunately Billy Caughell, starting inside linebacker hurt his knee this week & will be out for the season.
also, Muse, projected starting DT decided to quit playing football but remains in school. Russ did say this team is more athletic & better in most positions than his team at Chattanooga last year.

russ thought the key to the shsu game was how well our db's covered their receivers. he said that we will move the ball and score.

Any reports from this morning?
1 - A couple of receivers are out due to hamstring injuries. I believe one is the transfer from Temple. Should have them back in a week.
2 - Billy Gaudell injured his knee and is likely out for the season. Tough loss.
3 - DeAnthony Muse will return to school to graduate, but will not play. Toe apparently never really healed last year.
4 - Coach likes what he sees from Lauletta, Johnson, and Mancuso.
5 - It sounded like Xavier Goodall is looking really good in practice.
6 - Coach said that he usually plays seven offensive linemen in a game - says he is still undecided on who # 6 and 7 will be.
7 - He loves Hudson and two other tight ends. Says we will definitely get them the ball.
8 - Biggest surprise so far is how talented and how well the defensive backs have played.

Last edited:
Hate hearing that about Caughell. Any thoughts on who will man that spot? Madison Day?

1 - A couple of receivers are out due to hamstring injuries. I believe one is the transfer from Rutgers. Should have them back in a week.

I didn't realize we had a transfer receiver from Rutgers. You mean Wake Forest? Temple?

Sorry to hear about Muse. Know he dropped a lot of weight, but if you can't get your feet healthy just so hard to do anything. Bob Black made reference yesterday to a kid last year that was rushed back from turf toe and it cost him, so guessing it must have been him.

Unfortunate to lose any kids before the season even starts. Sure hope we have some better luck compared to last year on the injury front.

Sorry to hear about Muse. Know he dropped a lot of weight, but if you can't get your feet healthy just so hard to do anything. Bob Black made reference yesterday to a kid last year that was rushed back from turf toe and it cost him, so guessing it must have been him.

Unfortunate to lose any kids before the season even starts. Sure hope we have some better luck compared to last year on the injury front.

Not off to a good start, losing Bevels, Muse, and Gaudell before the season starts...

My impression was he really likes the skilled positions, mentioned two excellent QBs, four excellent running backs, and thinks the wide receiver spots are the biggest strength for the team. Defense will be much more aggressive than in the past. My takeaway was the health of the o-line may well determine if this is a good year and or a great year. To be clear, the last statement was not his words but my interpretation of his words.

I believe Russ said Colby Ritten would be taking one of the DT Spots along with Andrew Clyde .
As to DE Waller is an all conference type player with Reynolds & Wiggins on the other side. He said Mathews would be replacing Caughell at inside linebacker with Day & another whose name I didn't get providing back up help.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I believe Russ said Colby Ritten would be taking one of the DT Spots along with Andrew Clyde .
As to DE Waller is an all conference type player with Reynolds & Wiggins on the other side. He said Mathews would be replacing Caughell at inside linebacker with Day & another whose name I didn't get providing back up help.
Believe J. Rubin may have been the other mention at LB...in fact, he spent some time talking about how well Rubin had shown so far in pre season...was also cited as a possible break out player when Coach was asked about possible breakouts....

Go Spiders!
The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

I had Rubin penciled in as the other starter at LB. Justin has been a vastly underrated player for us the last couple of years.

enjoyed the event...felt it was well done...thanks to Joe Owen, one of the best long snappers, in Spiders football's long history...

it was the first time I had been able to hear Coach Huesman in person...very impressed with his "down to earth" style and persona...was very enjoyable to listen too about this season's prospects...

I won't repeat most of what I heard as it has already been posted, but Coach did make mention of a return player (kicks and punts) whose name I missed...mentioned him twice and was clearly excited about having him...is he a transfer?

if anyone caught this players name I'd appreciate it...

only take away of concern for me was the OL...most of us know everything starts there on the offensive side...Coach still searching for 6th, 7th and 8th man here...hoping we stay very healthy...

Go Spiders!
The Spider Gang Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

Billy Caughell looks quite mobile today.Was unaware of his injury at that time until swelling set in later.
He'll come back as a RJr.Bigger and stronger.Procedure next week.Confirmed that Dale Mathews would take slot.
Had chance also to meet Turner and Brooks dads out of Centerville HS at practice today.Glad we have them on board.Long ride for them from NoVa to see practice.
Russ et al are working these kids hard.

Billy Caughell looks quite mobile today.Was unaware of his injury at that time until swelling set in later.
He'll come back as a RJr.Bigger and stronger.Procedure next week.Confirmed that Dale Mathews would take slot.
Had chance also to meet Turner and Brooks dads out of Centerville HS at practice today.Glad we have them on board.Long ride for them from NoVa to see practice.
Russ et al are working these kids hard.

32 is correct. also spoke to billy at Friday practice and he said dale and Justin are our starting lb's

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT