ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball returns to action

Wood Hall

Team Manager
Jan 26, 2015
Today vs. Davidson at Pitt Field, 2 p.m. Spider time. DH on Saturday, single game on Sunday. I'd love to be there, watching games at Pitt Field is fun.

Reactions: urfan1
DH split with Davidson. Lose the opener 4-2 in 8, win the nightcap 3-1. Series finale at noon Sunday, Spider time.

Lose the finale 17-7. Looks like we just ran out of pitching. Too many walks and HBP. Home with Dayton next weekend, which should be graduation, right?

Lose the finale 17-7. Looks like we just ran out of pitching. Too many walks and HBP. Home with Dayton next weekend, which should be graduation, right?

Mercy Rule imposed after 7inn.Embarrassing.Thought they only did that in Little League.

Our pitchers threw 5 HBP.Embarrassing x 2.

Tough weekend against the Flyers. Lost first three and are losing today in the home finale.

Going 0-4 v Dayton.Embarrassing.

Lost by 10 again.We play “Mercy Rule” ball.It’s an innovative strategy.

Dayton hit 6 HRs today alone.

Last edited:
is that’s why our pitching stinks?
The more scholarships you have, the more, and better, talent you attract. So quite possibly, yes. You need 8-9 quality pitchers, at least, to prosper in college baseball, especially with four-game series like the A-10 plays.

I've read we have 8 scholarships to divide. So if we go to the NCAA-allowed 11.7, we can award half-scholarships - about the norm in college baseball - to seven more pitchers. Good players want scholarships. Scholarship players are generally better than walkons.

The more scholarships you have, the more, and better, talent you attract. So quite possibly, yes. You need 8-9 quality pitchers, at least, to prosper in college baseball, especially with four-game series like the A-10 plays.
Do we have any good pitchers for any of the individual games in a 4 game series? I guess not.
How many of our individual pitchers played in multiple games for multiple innings this weekend?

It is frustrating to watch our level of pitching. This weekend looked like a minor league vs a high school team.
When you have 8-9 schollies to divide among 25-30 players, and you give a full to one or two key players, that
makes your options even worse. When my son was a Div 1 soccer coach they would divide the available scholarships among the class years. You started off as freshman with less and once you reached senior you were getting larger portion.
If you had attrition in your class year, that scholarship would be divided among same class or used on transfer or used to give full ride to a current player or key recruit. It is a crap shoot!

So true. And frankly, deslite the comments on our facilities today, ours were far worse in those days.
Remember using the mass porta john behind Pitt Field after he shut out UVA and running into Tim Stauffer after he shut out UVA. Ryan Zimmerman went 0-3 with two strikeouts IIRC in that game. We did far more with less then.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
When we moved from the multi-bid CAA to the weak A-10. We had a couple more years of success based on the guys already in the program, but that was the end of it.

Of course, we weren't the only defectors from the CAA, so we may have struggled to continue to compete at a high level as the CAA watered down around us if we'd stayed, but that move to the A-10 hurt a number of our programs.

When did our recruiting go south?
What SF said. I’d like to think we could of put together one or two NCAA seasons since then but too many other things working against the program to overcome it I suppose. Kind of embarrassing that a school with a 2 billion + dollar endowment can’t figure out how to fully fund baseball and let it slide into the current state it’s in but it’s certainly not exclusive to one sport on campus.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I have heard from several parents of athletes recruited as walk ons, and partial offers, that the financial package is not attractive enough to override the pricing at state or other lower priced schools.

Cooper’s 30% tuition increase starting in 2005 almost certainly had an impact in that regard, with partial scholarships leaving bigger gaps for those who qualify for limited or no need-based aid.

It really is sad how far this program has fallen and it certainly has to do with reasons listed above. Bigger picture, we basically went 'all in' on Men's Basketball 20 years ago when we made the move the the A-10 at the detriment of other sports. When we find our 'all in' basketball results acceptable ... why should we expect much from any of the other programs further back in line?

Also, anecdotally, it does not sound like Woodson is particularly popular among baseball alumni. I don't know if a change at manager would really change anything, given all the challenges listed above.

Agree...I think the ship has sailed, certainly for relevance on the national stage, and likely at the conference level. We have a location/climate advantage over many of our conference mates, but that's more than offset by our financial challenges. We've made some facility improvements and have what looks to be a really nice upgrade on the drawing boards should funding materialize, but I don't see that making much difference in the quality of product we put out on the field.

It's all about coaching, and institutional support. Except for the fact it played in a P5 conference, my hometown team was no different than UR 25 years ago, with worse weather, worse facilities, no NCAA bids since 1986 and no high-profile baseball alums like Sean Casey or Tim Stauffer.

The coach got to work. Presto chango, 25 years later we have three NCAA championship trophies, a 3,500-seat stadium, a statewide radio network and a rabid fan base. It can be done.

It's all about coaching, and institutional support. Except for the fact it played in a P5 conference, my hometown team was no different than UR 25 years ago, with worse weather, worse facilities, no NCAA bids since 1986 and no high-profile baseball alums like Sean Casey or Tim Stauffer.

The coach got to work. Presto chango, 25 years later we have three NCAA championship trophies, a 3,500-seat stadium, a statewide radio network and a rabid fan base. It can be done.
So what will it take to redirect institutional support? As Mo said, we went all-in on basketball 20 years ago, and we appear to be satisfied going all-in with the weaker cards in 14 of the past 16 hands dealt. I specifically designate for football, but that doesn't help our under-funded programs, and UR keeps throwing more money at the underachiever.

Redirecting institutional support only hurts the program you take resources from. It needs to be increased across the board. It starts with a president who truly values intercollegiate athletics with something beyond lip service, something we really haven't had since E. Bruce Heilman.

Despite what some say, you can fix problems by throwing money at them.

The soon to be new UR Prez was on the 1985 Massachusetts high school State Championship baseball team-Hopkins Academy High School.

1985 baseball team with roster
Kevin Hallock with his high-school baseball team in 1985. He is pictured second from right in the front row.

This guy hopefully will figure out a way to assist in the rebuilding of the program.

Last edited:
So what will it take to redirect institutional support? As Mo said, we went all-in on basketball 20 years ago, and we appear to be satisfied going all-in with the weaker cards in 14 of the past 16 hands dealt. I specifically designate for football, but that doesn't help our under-funded programs, and UR keeps throwing more money at the underachiever.
New president(this is key). New athletic director. New marketing team. New head of the BOT. Different student demographics. It won’t guarantee success but it’s a step in the right direction. Since none of that is happening I suppose hope is the best remedy. Maybe this new president will roll up his sleeves and get to work.

NCAA Tournament Appearances

The format of the tournament has changed through the years.​
Totals12–178 Appearances
YearCoachRecordNotes
1972Chuck Boone0–2Eliminated by Florida State in District 3
1986Ron Atkins0–2Eliminated by Oregon State in the Midwest Regional
1995Ron Atkins1–2Eliminated by Alabama in the East Regional
1997Ron Atkins1–2Eliminated by Florida in the Atlantic Regional
1998Ron Atkins1–2Eliminated by Florida in the East Regional
1999Ron Atkins3–2Eliminated by Wake Forest in the Winston-Salem Regional
2002Ron Atkins4–3Eliminated by Nebraska in the Super Regional
2003Ron Atkins2–2Eliminated by Stanford in the Palo Alto Regional

The 2002 team was truly exceptional.

A10 got 2 in the tourney that season.GW took the AQ and UR an at large.

Times have certainly changed.

UR took Super Regional final host Nebraska to the brink of disaster by splitting the first 2 games.WS was in our sights but we lost the deciding Game 3.

19 years ago.Lightyears in the rearview mirror.

UR took Super Regional final host Nebraska to the brink of disaster by splitting the first 2 games.WS was in our sights but we lost the deciding Game 3.

I seem to recall us hosting a season-ending series against GW at Pitt that year. There couldn't have been less than 1000 people watching from the outfield in X Lot. Those were some fun times down there.

My roommate at the time was a Nebraska boy - though he played baseball at Creighton and Wichita State. I remember listening together on a spotty internet stream (tech was quite different back then).
We jumped to an early lead and then fell behind by 3, rallying to tie it in the 7th. I don't remember many of the player names, but I know once we tied it in the 7th, one of our players hit a warning track fly. So close. Our manager changed relievers in the 8th - whoever was in prior had shut the Huskers down and was in a groove, but he had pitched at least 2 innings so I guess the move was justified - and our 8th inning guy got absolutely lit up.

Two innings away from a CWS berth.

My roommate at the time was a Nebraska boy - though he played baseball at Creighton and Wichita State. I remember listening together on a spotty internet stream (tech was quite different back then).
We jumped to an early lead and then fell behind by 3, rallying to tie it in the 7th. I don't remember many of the player names, but I know once we tied it in the 7th, one of our players hit a warning track fly. So close. Our manager changed relievers in the 8th - whoever was in prior had shut the Huskers down and was in a groove, but he had pitched at least 2 innings so I guess the move was justified - and our 8th inning guy got absolutely lit up.

Two innings away from a CWS berth.

My mind is blank, but what was the young man from Baltimore that played both football and baseball?
He was without a doubt one of the greatest athletes to come to Richmond, and went on to play in the NFL and
MLB.
it seems we never have two sport athletes anymore.

My mind is blank, but what was the young man from Baltimore that played both football and baseball?
He was without a doubt one of the greatest athletes to come to Richmond, and went on to play in the NFL and
MLB.
Was it Harry Wilson who I thought was a wide receiver on football also? Went to St Christophers I think and may be related to Russell Wilson.

MLB.
Has to be Brian Jordan.

Nobody else has two-sport athletes, either. Very rare.

Has to be Brian Jordan.

Nobody else has two-sport athletes, either. Very rare.

MLB.

Yes Brian Jordan. Come on Annap that's one of the last guys especially anyone from U of R should forget! Along those lines there was a recent story on Brian and the two sport athlete. Talked to Brian at the national championship game in Chattannoga in 2008.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/s...n-jordan-forgotten-two-sport-star/7376480002/

Also I remember listening to Bob Black call the Vito grand slam live on radio, yes we had those games broadcast on radio back then, but it was the super regional so I guess not shocking.

as SF noted I do think the big tuition increase in 2000s hurt us getting those good Northeast kids, who now had to consider other options when we weren't as good of a deal $ wise. our best players seemed to come from there guys like Sean Casey, Stauffer, Vito. Casey started off getting $1k basically nothing he was going to go to Penn State-Behrend before that.

The way kids specialize in sports now, there are very few playing multiple sports by the time middle school rolls around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT