ADVERTISEMENT

As it relates to our schedule...

urmite

Spider's Club
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
Any thoughts on how Mike White's first year will be at Florida?

I read something that suggested Donovan didn't leave the cupboard particularly full. This is a winnable game.

Florida was down last year and with a new coach, new style, new system - etc. I would expect the same next year. But honestly - that is not what we want for this game. We want Florida to be good and be a top team. Last year Florida was 16-17 - near the bottom half of the SEC, and had an RPI of 71, which was really only helped by their tough schedule OOC which included Miami, Georgetown, UAB, UNC, Kansas, Florida St. and UCONN.

So while yes - we want this game to be winnable, if they are similar to this past year's team - this goes from a big game on our schedule to just a 50-100 RPI game, which is good - but not what we want from Florida. We want them to be really good.

Florida was down last year and with a new coach, new style, new system - etc. I would expect the same next year. But honestly - that is not what we want for this game. We want Florida to be good and be a top team. Last year Florida was 16-17 - near the bottom half of the SEC, and had an RPI of 71, which was really only helped by their tough schedule OOC which included Miami, Georgetown, UAB, UNC, Kansas, Florida St. and UCONN.

So while yes - we want this game to be winnable, if they are similar to this past year's team - this goes from a big game on our schedule to just a 50-100 RPI game, which is good - but not what we want from Florida. We want them to be really good.

Maybe they will still be figuring things out when we play them, then really get it together in conference and do some damage. That is the best case scenario for us.

The team I am really interested in who we might get to play is Cal. They have 2 top 10 freshmen. They could be very good.

I like that we get both teams early. Florida is going through a coaching change, Cal has two really good frosh coming in. Both teams should be still adjusting when we play them, but both should ideally improve as the year goes on.

Cal will be good because I think with what they have returning (I believe 4 of their top 5 scorers, which includes a first team all pac-12 selection) and add in the top 2 frosh they are adding and rumor out there says they have an outside shot to land the kid who just de-committed from Mich. St. Unlikely - but possible since Cal was a finalist for his services before.

Either way - I think that will be a great game for us. Florida - not so much. I see them finishing similar to this past season RPI around 65 and a .500 record. Which is not terrible from an RPI standout, but normally you would expect Florida to be near the top 25 rankings, and they are probably a good 2 years away from that.

Definitely agree with 97. Would prefer to play these teams early in the year, so it's nice that we will. I have seen some writers suggesting Cal is a top-15 preseason team.

As for Florida, White seems to have earned some acclaim in the media, but I have to think this is a tough sell to Gators' fans. La. Tech? Not exactly the hunting ground for elite basketball coaches. I guess time will tell.

If we play the Gators during their Christmas break when their "students" aren't on campus,we will have a shot at a W.Otherwise,not so much.

I have followed Florida basketball for many years. The program is currently in major trouble, similar in many ways to our friends down on Broad street. There are several reasons for Florida's demise, and they include: 1) They forgot what got them their national championships and sweet sixteen berths (defense), 2) They barealy missed on lots of top recruits and got desperate and brought lots of transfers with lots of baggage, 3) They lost their top assistant couaches and did not do a stellar job of replacing them (Anthony Grant, Shaka, and others). Donovas was turning 49, knew he had a "train-wreck" on his hands, and bailed out.
Much will depned on the incoming freshmen class, and how many stick. If White has the same issues that VCU's new coach has experienced, he will lose a few of these, and the cupboard will then be VERY bare.
I believe White is a good coach, and can drag Florida back to respectability, but it will take 3 years.

This is a perfect time to play Florida, in my view. Early is good (even if White is great), and a "down year" for Florida is also good. We need to build our confidence, early in the season, and a win over Florida (and maybe Cal too) could be great stepping stones. This year's schedule sucked, not because we played bad teams, but because we played teams that were actually good, but had no name recognition. Losing to these teams really hurt our confidence and our "stock" with the committee. Next season we have a chance to beat "big-name" teams that may not be as good as many expect. We could have an excellent schedule for a team aiming for the dance, and I think we will make it this time.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT