ADVERTISEMENT

An embarrassment

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
There's nothing else to say about this season. Overall, it was an embarrassment. And yes, I'm discussing it in the past tense because it's over. We all know it's over. This coach is incapable of doing anything unexpected. Anyone who thinks we are going to suddenly win the A10 tournament should be examined for a brain injury. We are literally incapable of it.

Nothing to show for our best team ever. Another year without an NCAA. A bunch of excuses. A clown show of lies from our coach and athletic director, who can't even talk to each other to get their lies straight in advance. Having the A10 literally take back most of the A10 tournament from our arena as a result. A team that plays as soft as it is coached to play, that wilts in the big moments and takes solace in coming in second in a two-team game. An attitude of "Aw, shucks, we'll get 'em next time," except next time never comes -- ever.

Our three most important games of the year:
* Blown game at home against Bona, lost at the buzzer.
* Humiliated at VCU, again
* Tonight, total failure when it mattered the most down the stretch

Throw in two inexcusable losses to Hofstra and LaSalle, just for the hell of it, because that's par for the course every single season.

Someone please end this f*cking nightmare after this season.

Last edited:
Agree. Mooney's Defense is a disgrace and again he makes absolutely no adjustments to stop them from getting layup and dunk after layup and dunk. I mean shit, go to a 3-2 for God sake. DO SOMETHING to stop it. But no, he does nothing.

There's nothing else to say about this season. Overall, it was an embarrassment. And yes, I'm discussing it in the past tense because it's over. We all know it's over. This coach is incapable of doing anything unexpected. Anyone who thinks we are going to suddenly win the A10 tournament should be examined for a brain injury. We are literally incapable of it.

Nothing to show for our best team ever. Another year without an NCAA. A bunch of excuses. A clown show of lies from our coach and athletic director, who can't even talk to each other to get their lies straight in advance. Having the A10 literally take back most of the A10 tournament from our arena as a result. A team that plays as soft as it is coached to play, that wilts in the big moments and takes solace in coming in second in a two-team game. An attitude of "Aw, shucks, we'll get 'em next time," except next time never comes -- ever.

Our three most important games of the year:
* Blown game at home against Bona, lost at the buzzer.
* Humiliated at VCU, again
* Tonight, total failure when it mattered the most down the stretch

Throw in two inexcusable losses to Hofstra and LaSalle, just for the hell of it, because that's part for the course every single season.

Someone please end this f*cking nightmare after this season.

I understand the feelings. That said, try caring less.

Simply "caring less" would better align yourself with the University's position on Athletics.

Save the "embarassed" feeling for any failures that you actually have control over.

To add- as relates to this "f*cking nightmare". Just take a moment and consider Kevin Anderson's greatness to overcome it and actually give us some sweet dreams.

Last edited:

Simply "caring less" would better align yourself with the University's position on Athletics.

Save the "embarassed" feeling for any failures that you actually have control over.

To add- as relates to this "f*cking nightmare". Just take a moment and consider Kevin Anderson's greatness to overcome it.

I agree with this. I would say I still care, but I have zero expectations for CM coached teams. So I am not at all surprised by the result we saw last night. A few years ago this loss would really have made me mad. But know, I just forget about it and move on with my day.

And yes, KA is truly an all time great!

To add- as relates to this "f*cking nightmare". Just take a moment and consider Kevin Anderson's greatness to overcome it.
Kevin’s greatness to overcome it? So pay Mooney a million plus so he can rely on a miracle player to save his butt? You might as say just quit.

"Save the "embarrassed" feeling for any failures that you actually have control over."

This is spot on. I quit giving a sh*t about this program 3 years ago. My overall health is better. Long gone are the days where I spend 2-3 hours over-analyzing and performing an autopsy on the most recent loss. After years and years, it is the most liberating feeling. Everyone should give it a try.

Losingest coach in school history.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
It's a nice thought, but I can't do that. I care about two sports teams passionately, and this is one of them. Giving up means I wouldn't be much of a sports fan anymore, and I'm not willing to do that.

Totally understand, EL. I was the same way for years, but I just got to the point where I said screw it....I just couldn't support it anymore. No NCAA bids. No conference titles. 20-30% win percentage against your rival. Empty rhetoric and constant PR spin. Passive aggressive department employees running their mouth. Mr. Tough Guy blowing his top on social media. A coach refusing (or incapable of) to make changes. A coach that could care less about his customers. And no, he didn't get that way because of a silly billboard.

The final straw for me? Evidence of a nonchalant attitude towards success and objectives, and in my opinion Mooney is the architect of this culture....which is starting to spread across the dept. I thank my lucky stars that these folks aren't running my company. For that reason alone, I will not even think about supporting this program until Mooney leaves. I don't care if this team goes to the Final Four.

"We'll just get new fans then...."

F you.

"Save the "embarrassed" feeling for any failures that you actually have control over."

This is spot on. I quit giving a sh*t about this program 3 years ago. My overall health is better. Long gone are the days where I spend 2-3 hours over-analyzing and performing an autopsy on the most recent loss. After years and years, it is the most liberating feeling. Everyone should give it a try.

Losingest coach in school history.
I did the same thing 3 years ago as well. Now I just stress over Tech football/basketball. Football I have the same feeling many do about this basketball program. Tech basketball I have an awesome feeling about because I have seen what a good coach can do. I mean seriously Tech is towards the bottom of the ACC in overall talent yet they are third in the league standings right now (technically second because of tiebreaker over uva). I would even argue that UR has more talent on its roster than Tech does in a weaker conference but we have seen how that’s panned out. Just imagine if Mike Young was coaching at UR, I’d venture to say the results would be just a little bit different.

I don't give a sh!t if they go 14-0 OOC, win 13 conf games and make it to the A10 finals next season. I'm not going within 100 yds of the RC doors until a) Mooney is gone, b) I am confident that I'm supporting an organization that values excellence and doesn't treat their fans & alums like garbage.

Spider decals are off the car. Will not wear any Spiders gear.

It's one thing after another with this inept outfit. Bob Black's comments yesterday were the final nail in the coffin for me.

10, had to remember who you were? I even gave a like a couple years back to your last post till now. You might not have cared but I believe you watched last night's game? My son's the graduate of UR but since I have only an advanced HS degree (2 years lol) but such a BIG CBB fan, just have to watch and root for my adopted team. I care but life goes on for me the next day.

PS a) will like death happen b) probably should give up on that, academics >>> sports
https://fangear.epicsports.com/images/detail/123408/view.html
10, just one time I like for someone to say, "hey your an U of R fan?" not "cool hat, who is it?"
Since 2003, thinking one day I could have that feeling like these fans ....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gonzaga-Bu...167320?hash=item3b446e9158:g:t64AAOSwwolee5KB

Reactions: Gallipoli
It's a nice thought, but I can't do that. I care about two sports teams passionately, and this is one of them. Giving up means I wouldn't be much of a sports fan anymore, and I'm not willing to do that.
I hear ya, EightLegger. There are no other sports teams that I care about at all. The passion comes with the pride of it being my alma mater, and it cannot be matched even slightly.

I care deeply, but I am becoming numb in the sense that I don't expect to win anymore. I don't read the board much anymore because it just makes me sadder. Generally, I find it best to move on as quickly as I can.

That said, moving on this time means at-large is out, but we are good enough to win the A10 tourny. We really are. So focus on Monday and securing a top 4 seed. If we can do that, it doesn't seem out of reach to win back to back A10 tourny games, and win the championship a week later.

If not, that's it. There's no NIT for me. Not interested in chasing something insignificant if we miss our goal. I also don't watch the NCAA tournament if we're not in it. Not fun anymore if I don't have the passion of my team to cheer for. I don't even print the bracket or even check who's in. My mom, who is not much of a sports fan, told who won last time. I honestly did not know who was in it, who went to the final 4 or anything else. If it's not the team I am passionate about, I just have no interest and I don't invest any energy. If I did, it would draw out my disappointment longer.

A lot of it for me is straight out pride for my school, and I really want others to know who we are and recognize us as significant. That's why the NIT doesn't matter to me. No one cares. The same applies to football for me now. We play at a meaningless level that no one will recognize. Lacrosse has become 2nd behind basketball because we play real teams, unlike football. Problem is there is no following on that. Plus, watching it is like watching a game with an invisible ball.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I did not watch last night's SNAFU. Haven't watched Mooneyball in at least 2 years. Not supporting the program also means not watching games.

And yes, I haven't posted in a long time. Usually when I visit I hang out on the football board.

Reactions: plydogg
I’d like to say I could walk away, but I get sucked back in every time... I’ve been ready to move on from Mooney for years now, but struggle with reconciling that thinking with still genuinely wanting to see Richmond basketball succeed.

So I get sucked back in every year, believing in the promise of potential, believing a new year will bring new results. And inevitably, I get my heart ripped out and stomped on.

I’d like to say I will heed Spiders10’s and MolivaManiac’s advice and walk away until change comes. Unfortunately, I know that after the disappointment of this year has dissipated, and November comes around, I’ll find myself believing and hoping once again.

I just hope that the powers that be put me out of my misery and bring the changes to the program that every fan wants: consistent winning, tourney births, beating VCU on the reg, etc... However, I imagine I’ll find myself in the same loop for years to come.

Thank you for these posts. It shows we are passionate about our Spiders. I too have been frustrated for years by the offensive system, lack of any offensive rebounding, and more recent lack of defense under the basket-everyone is laying up and dunking on us at will! And no adjustments have been made-so frustrating! I watch video of that great Spider win over Syracuse in the NCAA so long ago, and long for a team to play like that again. Also, the remodel of the RC and the new practice facility sent signals that the program was moving up-but nothing has changed! Hoodwinked again! I too care about the basketball-this too is my alma mater. But no matter how much talent we have, the same old system will not allow the players and the team to succeed to a championship level. So until leadership changes, I can’t get too excited about any expectations about our team. At least I am old enough to have enjoyed the Dick Tarrant years. I feel bad for our younger alums and current students who care about the team.

Imagine it’s late 2010 or 2011. You’re walking into champs sports bar in stony point mall to watch a Spider road game. The smell of the fries and the beer hit you and you know that UR has a great team and is gonna take care of business on the road again and soon head to the NCAA’s. You’ve got a “up and coming coach” (lol) and an unreal point guard as well as a 6’10 guy who can drain threes from nba range. You walk out of the bar after a big win and get ready to do it again the next week. I just want that feeling again, please give it to us again!

Reactions: Eight Legger
As "Spider born" "Spider bred" I care passionately about Richmond sports - however have learned under current admin/coach the reality is mediocrity in men's basketball and have tamped down my thinking we will do well. Still "hurts" when we lose but not unexpected. Yes Dick Tarrant in temperament, ability, and no nonsense was the high point. Then again he is a U.S. Marine and learned toughness and never quit. Have the most passion now about men's lacrosse and think highly of Chemotti. We are making progress there hanging around the top 20 and playing the top 3 teams in the nation. Waiting and expecting for the wins to come.....................

If you had told Jim Miller that if he hired Chris Mooney as coach the Spiders would make two NCAA appearances in the next 16 years, would he have hired him?
I rest my case.
If Jim Miller was the AD at William & Mary, yes.

That's exactly what they want to do -- lure you in and keep you engaged just enough to have that itch to come back for more. Remind us of the past, and fill our heads with mush...I mean false hope.

How do they do that? They do it with empty rhetoric email blasts. They give away chunks of tickets and offer $5 tickets every night....then complain about having a revenue problem while completely ignoring the root cause of the problem. They send out stupid surveys about fan experience, yet fail to recognize or do anything about the #1 fan experience problem. We get scripted talking points fresh off the fax machine for pressers and interviews. We've been told the future is bright every year since 2012. Don't forget about "the best class ever" stunt. That was a PR designed statement to keep the fan base engaged and off their backs. Just shut up and give us your money.

They talk a good game, but can't back up any of it. I'm not trying to come in here with a bunch of negativity. However, they've lost every ounce of credibility with me. It's been slow and painful. To be quite frank, they've pissed me off so much I might not ever come back...even after Mooney is gone. I quit buying apparel too.

New President is coming in. If you have this vision that athletics is going to be prioritized anywhere other than the bottom and this is going to change then think again. Why be like Duke or Stanford when you can be like Amherst, Williams, or Wellesley?

Crutcher could elevate himself to demigod status if he fires Hardt and Mooney on his way out the door and tells Queally to get bent.

I can only wish athletics was as big a priority at UR as it is at Williams and Amherst…even if they are D-III. They‘re extremely committed to winning at the level they compete at. We throw money at things but aren’t really committed to winning.

That said, moving on this time means at-large is out, but we are good enough to win the A10 tourny. We really are. So focus on Monday and securing a top 4 seed. If we can do that, it doesn't seem out of reach to win back to back A10 tourny games, and win the championship a week later.
I want to get there; I really do.
In 14 A10 tourney opportunities, Mooney has won multiple games only twice. Two wins in 2010, three in 2011. In the 12 other tournaments, it's been 0 or 1 wins. That's.........not encouraging.

Reactions: nathanw19
Imagine it’s late 2010 or 2011. You’re walking into champs sports bar in stony point mall to watch a Spider road game. The smell of the fries and the beer hit you and you know that UR has a great team and is gonna take care of business on the road again and soon head to the NCAA’s.
Weren't you like 11 years old?

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Another year without knowing what it’s like to see my school in the tournament. That’s now 9 years since I enrolled at Richmond. 9 seasons of disappointment. But I’ve realized this year that it can’t be disappointment if it’s always this way. Sadly it’s the expectation and destiny, and that sad expectation has been met now for 9 years straight.

Seems like the expectation is never going to change, and until it does simply “playing a season of games” will be good enough for the AD, administration, and fanbase. It’s goddamn infuriating

Another year without knowing what it’s like to see my school in the tournament. That’s now 9 years since I enrolled at Richmond. 9 seasons of disappointment. But I’ve realized this year that it can’t be disappointment if it’s always this way. Sadly it’s the expectation and destiny, and that sad expectation has been met now for 9 years straight.

Seems like the expectation is never going to change, and until it does simply “playing a season of games” will be good enough for the AD, administration, and fanbase. It’s goddamn infuriating

Ply, your perspective is the most problematic of any, long-term.

While the current regime infuriates the hell out of us that have been around here a couple decades or more ... At least we can remember how gritty Richmond basketball used to be.

Any poor sot that's 30 or less has never even experienced it. A true "lost generation" of passionate Spider supporters that UR be missing out on for years and years to come. Ticket and merchandise buyers ....and long-term donors lost among them.

Exactly Mo. and as you mentioned on another thread, combine that with our generation that feels disenfranchised, and there’s a major fundraising problem coming sooner than later.

Ply, your perspective is the most problematic of any, long-term.

While the current regime infuriates the hell out of us that have been around here a couple decades or more ... At least we can remember how gritty Richmond basketball used to be.

Any poor sot that's 30 or less has never even experienced it. A true "lost generation" of passionate Spider supporters that UR be missing out on for years and years to come. Ticket and merchandise buyers ....and long-term donors lost among them.
Great post Mo! What saddens me also are the ones now that see no problem.

Reactions: DTSpider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT