ADVERTISEMENT

A10 vs. the P5

fan2011

Graduate Assistant
Apr 21, 2014
GMU just took down Ok State to get the A10's 5th win of the season over P5 conference teams. A10 teams are now 5-1 vs. P5 teams. Lets see if we can improve on this stat in the coming weeks.

Just saw Mason win thought they blew it up 5 near the end of regulation. Great win for the A10. Paulsens a good coach and already has them believing!

Wow, that's great for Mason. Although for tonight, I hope our record falls to 5-2 against the P-5.

Have to root for the rams if you're playing the RPI game and looking for the best chance to make the tournament.

Yes they are our rival but makes no sense to root against them except for personal reasons, which I can understand.

The more games VCU wins the better it looks when we beat them 2 or 3 times this year.

Though I got my masters degrees from VCU, I still say there is no way you ever root for the Rams. May help us RPI wise, but takes away from our recruiting and accomplishments. No fan should ever root for their arch rival.

I get it for sure. If we don't need them to get into the tournament I'm all for it. But if it gives us two extra good wins on our resume and that's the difference between getting in or not making it I'll take the larger picture.

Plus I still think it's better to have two good teams in Richmond then just one however I'd rather be number one out of those two teams

By the way in the game last night I heard Dicky V mention the spiders at least twice and how there was good basketball in Richmond

another reason for rpi not to be in our conference, some here can rationalize pulling for them.

Spinner, please keep in mind that several (maybe even many) of us on this board have close relatives or family members who have attended VCU. In my case it would be a daughter who attended med school there. So, although a head-to-head is a "no-brainer" in terms of who to root for, when VCU plays against other teams I do not have second thoughts about hoping they will win those games. The fact that their presence in the A-10 may increase our chance of "dancing" is just another reason to see benefits in them beating a Duke or Wisconsin, or whoever else they may play OOC. This is not a "zero-sum game." Both UR and VCU can be successful, without the need for the other to fail.

Reactions: Ram Bal
you are exactly what i am talking about, you are too old, at least by your moniker, to know what you are doing. have had friends and fam go to rpi but that is their prob. by the way, still consider it medical college of va not rpi.

Spideroldie,

I think you're spot on. Not only do I want to see all of the A-10 schools do well, OOC, I want to see our home and away series with VCU, become two of the premiere games of every season. I want TV networks bidding against each other to get the games. That only happens, if both teams have good records. I see a successful VCU as being good for Spider basketball, as long as they never win another game against us. Ever.

Spinner, with you all the way. Could never root for rpi. Moreover, my son graduated dental school at MCV. OSC

Reactions: Ram Bal
TB, you just made my point, we did not need them in our conf, should have left them to whatever they could get. now, we have guys pulling for them, that is un-american

Reactions: SpiderK
Spinner, I don't think it much matters to the outcome of a game, who I root for. On the other hand, my track record is such, that most teams, probably would prefer, that I root against them.

another reason for rpi not to be in our conference, some here can rationalize pulling for them.
Correction spinner. It is not your conference. You do not own it. It is a conference in which you are a member of....Whether you like it or not, rpi (vdu) has enhanced the reputation of the conference nationally.

I don't really care that my wife is a VCU grad, I still hate the Lambs with a passion, just like I did when I was a Spider athlete 30+ years ago. Will always cheer for them to lose, as God intended.

Reactions: Ulla1 and SpiderK
I get it for sure. If we don't need them to get into the tournament I'm all for it. But if it gives us two extra good wins on our resume and that's the difference between getting in or not making it I'll take the larger picture.

Plus I still think it's better to have two good teams in Richmond then just one however I'd rather be number one out of those two teams

The feeling is not mutual, though. They take more of a scorched Earth policy, where they don't need anyone to be any good. They wouldn't care if we were any good or not.

Actually you should not be surprised by the number of family connections between UR and VCU. Employees, professors, staff people, graduates.

Get over yourself bb. A10 was strong (perhaps stronger) prior to rpi joining the conference. Already quite well known nationally.

twice now we have pulled rpi's feet out of the fire and saved them when we should have let them sink. if you have an advantage, you protect it not give it away, which we did. that certainly is just my take and my take only and any and all of you can have your take. either way, rationalizing having them win and have success, is just not american

Reactions: Ulla1
Get over yourself bb. A10 was strong (perhaps stronger) prior to rpi joining the conference. Already quite well known nationally.

And it's been considerably stronger with VCU's inclusion. I love to hate VCU basketball, but I'm glad they're in the A10.

Correction spinner. It is not your conference. You do not own it. It is a conference in which you are a member of....Whether you like it or not, rpi (vdu) has enhanced the reputation of the conference nationally.

Again, VCU fans and their arrogance knows no bounds. When the face of their team is a fat boy with questionable hygiene who never says anything nice about an opponent, then that's a brain dead fanbase.

All I know is that the league record against the P5 conference would be a lot better, if Broad Street upheld there end of the deal. I hope they have room on the plane for that big 4th place trophy from the Gazelle group.

All I know is that the league record against the P5 conference would be a lot better, if Broad Street upheld there end of the deal. I hope they have room on the plane for that big 4th place trophy from the Gazelle group.
Cuidado, it's at least remotely possible, that the Spiders will be winning a big 4th place trophy in Las Vegas.

Cuidado, it's at least remotely possible, that the Spiders will be winning a big 4th place trophy in Las Vegas.
TB, anything is possible, buddy. Fact is that rpi came home with back to back loses and the last place trophy; that is a done deal. OSC

I like VCU in the A10. I like playing them home and home each year. they're awesome games. I also understand the positives like a slight RPI boost and making our games bigger when they win OOC.
but that's simply how I comfort myself after they win a game. I always hope they lose, but when they win ... ok, that's not totally bad for us I guess.

There have been so many names for the school now located on Broad Street it is tough to keep up. From the Richmond School of Social Economy, Richmond School of Social Work and Public Health, Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary, Richmond Professional Institute of the College of William and Mary, drops the William and Mary part, and then in 1968 becomes VCU
//http://guides.library.vcu.edu/c.php?g=47717&p=298451

And in sports from the Green Devils to the Rams. Remember when we first starting playing them in basketball I started pulling against them and there has been no reason to change that position.

The reason we were 1st four out last year was because we had two top 25 RPI wins. Both of those were against VCU. VCU losing games makes it harder for us to get to the NCAAs since we play them at least twice every year, and their record has a very large influence on our RPI. If your hatred for VCU is greater than your love for Richmond then go ahead, root against them. Otherwise you should hope that they do well OOC so that our games against them actually help our resume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT