ADVERTISEMENT

8-23

How is Loyer their 2nd leading rebounder? Davidson is not good but neither are we on the road when it comes to finishing off close games. I think this will be a close game that will come down to rebounding and free throws. Bigelow could be a big X factor tonight. Feel he gives us the best chance to defend Mennenga. Believe we have better depth, so bang that ball inside and start getting someone in their rotation in foul trouble since they only seem to play with 7 players. I don't see Davidson running away unless we play like cheeks.
Need to at least split this little road trip if our goal is a top 4 finish, and feel we have a better opportunity tonight than we will Saturday.

Reactions: plydogg
I’d love to see Roche and Quinn develop a little two man game. Roche feeds Quinn, Quinn draws both men, and kicks to an open Roche for 3

I’d love to see Roche and Quinn develop a little two man game. Roche feeds Quinn, Quinn draws both men, and kicks to an open Roche for 3
I don't think any coach with a clue is going to use Roche's man to double. that would be malpractice and grounds for voiding his contract.

I have dueling thoughts on tonight's game.

1. Davidson is the anti George Mason. Whereas you can just mark a L in the schedule when we play at Mason, despite us having better talent, the opposite is often true at Davidson, despite Davidson being a markedly better program than Mason
2. Mooney hates prosperity. Every time something good happens like our big comeback win last game, we seem to rest on our laurels and roll out a lackidazical game the next time out.
3. Revenge game for Davidson for last year's A-10 tournament loss. That was a gut wrenching loss for Davidson, best believe they have this game circled.

All I know is that we had better come out ready for a fight tonight because Davidson is gonna be ready.

Davidson's Strengths:
  • Getting to the Line: Davidson is 43rd in the country in Free Throw Attempts per game (21.4) and is 37th in the country in Free Throws Made per game (15.6), though their overall Free Throw Percentage is at 109th in the country (73.1%). Plus their opponents commit 19.3 Personal Fouls per game, 325th in the country, so they've been drawing the contact.

• Overperforming against Top Competition: Davison beat South Carolina of the SEC by 9 early in the season, and last month they only lost to #1 Purdue (at the time) by 8. We'll have to see which team we get tonight.

• A Dynamic Duo: Foster Loyer ranks 6th amongst all Preseason All A-10 Team selections, and Mennenga is an absolute animal, plus his 3-point shooting of 45% is tough to compete against. Loyer has been off and on all season, interesting to see who Mooney has guard each.
Davidson's Weaknesses:
  • The Bench: Davidson's bench is pretty poor. Outside of Loyer and Mennenga, they don't have a lot of talented players. Only one to watch out for is Reed Bailey, who shoots the ball pretty efficiently.

• 3 Point Shooting: They don't take a lot of 3's (296th in the country at around 19 per game), they don't make a lot of 3's (303rd in the country at around 6 per game) and thus their 3 Point % is quite low at 32.1%. It's clear they like to drive the ball to the basket. Taking that away and letting them shoot from outside is key.

• Team Defense: Davidson ranks poorly in Fouls per game (15.4), Blocks per game (1.4), and Steals per game (5.9), plus are not great in Points Allowed per game (70.2) either. I think this could be a big Quinn/Grace game inside

Davidson's Strengths:
  • Getting to the Line: Davidson is 43rd in the country in Free Throw Attempts per game (21.4) and is 37th in the country in Free Throws Made per game (15.6), though their overall Free Throw Percentage is at 109th in the country (73.1%). Plus their opponents commit 19.3 Personal Fouls per game, 325th in the country, so they've been drawing the contact.

• Overperforming against Top Competition: Davison beat South Carolina of the SEC by 9 early in the season, and last month they only lost to #1 Purdue (at the time) by 8. We'll have to see which team we get tonight.

• A Dynamic Duo: Foster Loyer ranks 6th amongst all Preseason All A-10 Team selections, and Mennenga is an absolute animal, plus his 3-point shooting of 45% is tough to compete against. Loyer has been off and on all season, interesting to see who Mooney has guard each.
Davidson's Weaknesses:
  • The Bench: Davidson's bench is pretty poor. Outside of Loyer and Mennenga, they don't have a lot of talented players. Only one to watch out for is Reed Bailey, who shoots the ball pretty efficiently.

• 3 Point Shooting: They don't take a lot of 3's (296th in the country at around 19 per game), they don't make a lot of 3's (303rd in the country at around 6 per game) and thus their 3 Point % is quite low at 32.1%. It's clear they like to drive the ball to the basket. Taking that away and letting them shoot from outside is key.

• Team Defense: Davidson ranks poorly in Fouls per game (15.4), Blocks per game (1.4), and Steals per game (5.9), plus are not great in Points Allowed per game (70.2) either. I think this could be a big Quinn/Grace game inside
South Carolina is not top competition, as evidenced by GW killing them by 30 earlier this year. I know they beat UK last night, but UK kinda sucks so far too.

Davidson is a watered-down version of what they usually are. They don't play any defense, and the defense they try to play typically is particularly suspect against us, for whatever reason. A Davidson strength always has been three-point shooting, and as you point out, they are not good at that this year. This game will definitely be right there for us, begging for us to take it. I hope we can.

South Carolina did also beat Clemson, but yeah, overall they're not "top competition" this year. Just realized they're #242 in the NET...ouch. I don't think they're quite that bad lol.

Anyone else having issues with espn+. Trying to watch the women's game vs vcu. Men's game is on eson+ tonight too.

Think it's just an issue specific to the women's game feed. Other ESPN+ feeds are fine.

South Carolina did also beat Clemson, but yeah, overall they're not "top competition" this year. Just realized they're #242 in the NET...ouch. I don't think they're quite that bad lol.
Ha, Clemson isn’t top competition either, we just made them look like it.

• Haha
Reactions: gospidersgo
Hmm. I couldn't any espn+ feeds to work.
Not sure then. The UR game is throwing up a "This game hasn't started yet" alert, but the GW/La Salle women's game comes up fine for me, same with other live events.

Honestly, I’m impressed with the team so far. Burton isn’t playing his best but the others are stepping up. Nelson shooting well, Quinn owning down low, Randolph off the bench. We need that level of play when Burton has an off day, which will happen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT