ADVERTISEMENT

8-23

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
This is where the rubber meets the road. Kenpom predicts a one point loss. Road game against a mediocre Davidson team. Mooney has been very good against daddy Mckillop over the years. Time to continue against the son. Loyer is a bit like like Girard from Syracuse, little guy, not overly athletic (has some quicks and guile), and can hurt you if you don't play good D on him. Girard really gave it to Nelson. I am asking Nelson to step up this game and keep Loyer in check, and this is a game we can win, and need to win to break this home W, road L pattern. Lets get a 71-69 win.

This is where the rubber meets the road. Kenpom predicts a one point loss. Road game against a mediocre Davidson team. Mooney has been very good against daddy Mckillop over the years. Time to continue against the son. Loyer is a bit like like Girard from Syracuse, little guy, not overly athletic (has some quicks and guile), and can hurt you if you don't play good D on him. Girard really gave it to Nelson. I am asking Nelson to step up this game and keep Loyer in check, and this is a game we can win, and need to win to break this home W, road L pattern. Lets get a 71-69 win.
Nelson's defense is behind his offense for sure. I can't see Goose guarding Loyer, so agree, this is Nelson's assignment, he needs to step up. Loyer is a front runner for A-10 POY, so if he is not able to step up, Mooney will have to adjust quickly.

Nelson's defense is behind his offense for sure. I can't see Goose guarding Loyer, so agree, this is Nelson's assignment, he needs to step up. Loyer is a front runner for A-10 POY, so if he is not able to step up, Mooney will have to adjust quickly.
Any reason you think we won't put Goose on Loyer to start? Worried about JayNel giving up some height to Huffman, or more Goose keeping up with Loyer's quickness? I know Goose almost exclusively guarded Lee last year in the championship, but now that he's gone, I think Goose can hang with Loyer.

I think UR wins this game easily. Davidson is down this year, and we typically play well against their system/style. I also think its a perfect time for a win like this after the Duquesne game, we win this game by 14 points, and then the chatter will turn to this team is really good, we got a shot to win A10, etc. Burton keeps his streak alive and scores 22 points. Some late free throws get him over 20.

UR 68
Davidson 57

Barring injury, Holmes is the A10 PoY front runner in my opinion. Absolute monster player on the best team in the conference.

Any reason you think we won't put Goose on Loyer to start? Worried about JayNel giving up some height to Huffman, or more Goose keeping up with Loyer's quickness? I know Goose almost exclusively guarded Lee last year in the championship, but now that he's gone, I think Goose can hang with Loyer.
We might. Loyer is just a smaller guy and their PG, so I think it would be natural for JayNel to guard him, but if he can't than yeah, I think we need to switch it up.

not so sure about Loyer being a POY candidate, he has already laid two eggs in conference (granted they still won one of those games)
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with resumes since the season started. I knew he was first team last year and one of the preseason candidates. Davidson will have to win a lot more for him to be in consideration, same would apply to our preseason candidate as well.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
until UR actually wins a road game, I don't feel optimistic. Does DC have any big guys of note - is that Aussie is still there (guy who fouled Grace?) that would prevent Quinn from being able to go for double digits?

Reactions: urfan1
until UR actually wins a road game, I don't feel optimistic. Does DC have any big guys of note - is that Aussie is still there (guy who fouled Grace?) that would prevent Quinn from being able to go for double digits?
We need to show that we can win on the road. I don’t care if it’s by 1 or 20 points…just show that we can win on the road. That and establish momentum from this past Saturday night. Doesn’t appear to be one of Davidson’s better teams. Just win.

I think this is an opposite game for UR. Typically I would say we struggle on the road, but typically Davidson is pretty good. I think with them being bad and us on the road - we win easily and rumors start of adding on to Mooney's extension.

I think this is an opposite game for UR. Typically I would say we struggle on the road, but typically Davidson is pretty good. I think with them being bad and us on the road - we win easily and rumors start of adding on to Mooney's extension.
I hope you're right. Davidson looked terrible against vcewe but I'm not yet sold.

The Spiders have historically played very well at Davidson. Like others have said the “finesse” style that they typically play is the style that Mooney also prefers, so the team is usually well prepared. The chances of breaking through with a road win doesn’t get any better than this.

I hope you're right. Davidson looked terrible against vcewe but I'm not yet sold.
I like our matchup with Davidson, and typically I like our matchup with VCU because they pressure and we usually have the guards and ballhandling to take of that - but this year, I don't like our matchup with VCU.

Davidson we beat. Lose to VCU.

The 6'9" Kiwi plays 29 minutes a game, the 6'10" Transfer plays 21, the 6'11" Freshman plays 24.

Davidson is 303th in 3 point %, 95th in 3% defense.
84th in 2 point % on offense.

Not sure if they are any good, but also not sure this is your (his) Daddy's Davison...

It slays me every time where the posters most likely to post crazy, ranting post-loss screeds are the ones that are always predicting 5-10 point road wins.

I agree with those that have concluded that until we actually win a road game, predicting a road win is aspirational at best and not nearly realistic.

I'm also on the 'likely loss' side for tomorrow night. We are 16 games into the season and still looking for our first true road win.

I will say I think we can win and probably should win this game. And it wouldn't surprise me for us to pick up a 10 point win tomorrow. Davidson is way down and historically we seem to do well against them. But until we get our first one this year I'm just going to have to be in the 'show me' camp.

It slays me every time where the posters most likely to post crazy, ranting post-loss screeds are the ones that are always predicting 5-10 point road wins.

I agree with those that have concluded that until we actually win a road game, predicting a road win is aspirational at best and not nearly realistic.
Zing ply.

May have to up my prediction. To 10 point win now 😀.

Probably will be a loss, but Davidson is not great.

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg
the worrisome thing is I don't know which Wildcats squad is going to show up, the one that hung in there with Purdue or the one that got their brakes beat off on Broad Street a few days ago
So the one who allowed Purdue 3 of 25 from 3 or the one who allowed VCU 15 of 24 from 3?
Why did Purdue take so many 3's did Loyer's brother convince them to?

Let me see if I understand this. Into the 18th season in building a program, road wins are aspirational and not realistic at present.

Why? Is the best we can do as a program? Aspirations met?

Reactions: spider23

Ok, ok. Just for you Mr. Kneepad I will predict we lose.

Spiders: 68
Davidson: 84

It’s not any fun to do it this way, but I’ll make the effort. Now that I predicted a loss though am I allowed to post a slaying screed if we blow a 5 point lead with a minute left?

Reactions: spider23
Just for you Mr. Kneepad

It’s not any fun to do it this way, but just for you I’ll make the effort ;)
But crazy as it sounds, he’s always had Mooney’s back too. After 18 years, why should we expect a road win. Crazy talk

But crazy as it sounds, he’s always had Mooney’s back too. After 18 years, why should we expect a road win. Crazy talk
Even I had Mooney’s back from 2012-2018, maybe even to 2019. I can’t remember when my first Fire Mooney post was but I’d love to know. In my eyes he could do no wrong for a long time, that OT win (early 2013?) against VCU when Darien Brothers hit the 3 to send it to extra time was my freshman year. I think for a lot of my fellow classmates that win bought him at least 5 years of goodwill.

All I want is for us to win. I actually think we can do it with Mooney, but I think the biggest thing holding him back is himself.

Davidson may be down but they’re still the type of program who would rarely have 2 bad games in a row. And uh oh we’re the 2nd game.

Line was Wildcats -1.5 a couple of hours ago, but now it's -2.5.

Line was Wildcats -1.5 a couple of hours ago, but now it's -2.5.
Sharps pounding Davidson :) :) :).

In all seriousness on the betting front, I am quite sure in a year or two we are going to see multiple, multiple big scandals on the betting front in college hoops. The Steve Smith scandal at Ariz. State is so much easier for guys to pull off via buddies, hangers on, sharp guys, sinister guys, guys for one big pay day, etc. now than it was then. Just too much opportunity and access now to think otherwise.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Sharps pounding Davidson :) :) :).

In all seriousness on the betting front, I am quite sure in a year or two we are going to see multiple, multiple big scandals on the betting front in college hoops. The Steve Smith scandal at Ariz. State is so much easier for guys to pull off via buddies, hangers on, sharp guys, sinister guys, guys for one big pay day, etc. now than it was then. Just too much opportunity and access now to think otherwise.
only thing better than NIL money is game-fixing money

I wondering though - does NIL Money counter that? Maybe at big schools. But if the bettors and gamblers can get in at mid-major schools, where NIL money is not significant, that is really where gamblers can hook a few kids for a big pay and make a lot of money betting those games.

not so sure about Loyer being a POY candidate, he has already laid two eggs in conference (granted they still won one of those games)
Agree looking at this year stats to last. I see he dropped out of top 5 A10 players according to kenpom thank God. Shooting 36% to 44% 3PT last year. Down from 47% to 40% 2PT. His O rating went from 123 to 99 this season. Second leading rebounder on team. IMO his workload is too much.

He only averaged 30 minutes last year to now 35. I have stated previously Goose's minutes could drop slightly from being too one dimension defensively with Roche getting them but this game I would put him on Loyer the second he gets the ball. Tire his butt out and force someone else to run point/assist man as much as possible. The minutes dropped would come from Nelson with sharp shooter Roche getting his minutes. Maybe Randolph gets some add minutes if he shows more while in there. Especially if issues defensively arise with Nelson.

I think Goose could handle the point adequately a sufficient time and still give his team the D. Davidson's history has been committing no TOs while forcing none. I mean you really want to surprised them have Tyler bring up the ball occasionally. No one guarding him so far this season can stay in front of him.

I really believe this is the time for the Spiders to step up against an inferior Davidson team as compared to past ones under daddy. Look at them. Their defensive efficiency has stayed the same this season but after being like top 20 offensively last 3 years now 100. They play only 7 and they have absolutely no PG on the bench.

Might jinx myself but probably taking them +2.5, usually stay away and never want to make dinner money off a Spider loss. Over confident or slightly off but believe only one person could turn this into a losing bet. And if goes to +3 then I know wise bettors have factored that in too. And screw a losing by 2 game winning bet.

Ok, ok. Just for you Mr. Kneepad I will predict we lose.

It’s not any fun to do it this way, but I’ll make the effort. Now that I predicted a loss though am I allowed to post a slaying screed if we blow a 5 point lead with a minute left?
You can do anything you want, including predicting Spider wins. I can also freely respond by pointing out the irony.

Agree looking at this year stats to last. I see he dropped out of top 5 A10 players according to kenpom thank God. Shooting 36% to 44% 3PT last year. Down from 47% to 40% 2PT. His O rating went from 123 to 99 this season. Second leading rebounder on team. IMO his workload is too much.

He only averaged 30 minutes last year to now 35. I have stated previously Goose's minutes could drop slightly from being too one dimension defensively with Roche getting them but this game I would put him on Loyer the second he gets the ball. Tire his butt out and force someone else to run point/assist man as much as possible. The minutes dropped would come from Nelson with sharp shooter Roche getting his minutes. Maybe Randolph gets some add minutes if he shows more while in there. Especially if issues defensively arise with Nelson.

I think Goose could handle the point adequately a sufficient time and still give his team the D. Davidson's history has been committing no TOs while forcing none. I mean you really want to surprised them have Tyler bring up the ball occasionally. No one guarding him so far this season can stay in front of him.

I really believe this is the time for the Spiders to step up against an inferior Davidson team as compared to past ones under daddy. Look at them. Their defensive efficiency has stayed the same this season but after being like top 20 offensively last 3 years now 100. They play only 7 and they have absolutely no PG on the bench.

Might jinx myself but probably taking them +2.5, usually stay away and never want to make dinner money off a Spider loss. Over confident or slightly off but believe only one person could turn this into a losing bet. And if goes to +3 then I know wise bettors have factored that in too. And screw a losing by 2 game winning bet.

They lost several major pieces from that team last year, seems to be affecting Mr. Loyer a lot more than anyone predicted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT