ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

Ole Jer had us playing Xavier and Dayton and Temple in the 50s a bunch. The 40s in today's 3 point heavy world seems extreme. I haven't seen UVa to know if they're unwatchable, but in a vacuum the results he has posted seem a level ahead of Moon and the natty is like 10 levels up. So yeah, I don't understand the Fire Bennett crowd also supporting Moon, given the disparity in results. I understand the argument is he peaked and now is a 1st round upset waiting to happen, but how that argument - doesn't win enough in the NCAA since his peak - doesn't translate to UR as well is inconsistent. (btw I know the stats of the UR records since 2019, no need to rehash them yet again.)
Do you really think it is that crazy to be anti Bennett and pro Mooney? Are Richmond and UVA the same? I know you guys want to say why can't and why shouldn't we be like a major, but who would be our coach if we fire Mooney? Would we get this sure thing NCAA dance guy who had a lot of previous dance succcess? UVA, with their resources and ACC status, and the fact that they are more a basketball school than a football school, would be an attractive job for pretty much anyone out there, and could get plenty of successful power conference coaches to coach there. What successful power conference coaches would leave to come to Richmond? So, yes, if you talk about firing someone, it's always important to ask who would you get to replace them.

And, you said no need to talk stats since 2019, but wouldn't the past 5 years be a lot more relevant when discussing keeping or firing coaches than focusing more on 6+ years ago and longer?

Yeah it's crazy. Even by a relative comparison (look at finishes in own league ACC vs. A10 for instance tho it's not the only 1) and Bennett kills Mooney. Still waiting on the Stephen A take on Mooney even tho he doesn't even know who coaches Richmond.

The who could we hire reason is probably the worst one imo. Coaches would be salivating over UR. Of course UVA would be able to hire a more well known coach such as P5. As if that matters. Good coaches move up all the time. U love Mooney and we got him after 1 year at Air Force.

The fact is 3 out of our last 4 coaches at RICHMOND performed better. 75%. That's a very relevant stat for UR coach forecasting. Look I want Mooney to crush it. I'll be rooting for him and team just as I always do. But I think the school's evaluation standards r weak especially when u consider it was an institutional decision to go to more NCAAs when we moved to A10. We moved for mens hoops thats it. Nobody likes a bait and switch.

I would pretty gladly take wins and ncaa berths at a slow pace of play over more losses and less tournament appearances if we “looked better”.

Winning is the ultimate salve. And really good players typically want to play for winners, it’s not hard to recruit to that,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT