ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

Have seen a lot of negative tweets from VCU fans over the past few days about the portal and impact on their fanhood. They've been crushed by the portal the last two years, but think they need to give Odom some time to stabilize things.

Particularly tough to see a guy like that who followed Odom do it though. He declared for the draft, but the thinking was he would return to VCU if that route wasn't going to pan out for him this year.

Have seen a lot of negative tweets from VCU fans over the past few days about the portal and impact on their fanhood. They've been crushed by the portal the last two years, but think they need to give Odom some time to stabilize things.
But, Odom is the best coach ever...or maybe top two along with Schmidt at St Bona....just ask this board.

• Haha
Reactions: WCUR11
Yes VCU will be fine. They r always fine and also have odom. Unfortunately on both counts.

I mean we won the A10 this season and vcu still had the better year.

It is a little interesting losing 2 international guys when NIL is much harder to get due to visa rules. u think might be easier to keep them. But there r no rules so I expect those r blatantly ignored or broken too.

Also Dji is supposedly 50/50 to come back here yet these vcu guys are long gone lol. there is no point to evaluate anyone's rosters for a couple more months.

Yes VCU will be fine. They r always fine and also have odom. Unfortunately on both counts.

It is a little interesting losing 2 international guys when NIL is much harder to get due to visa rules. u think might be easier to keep them. But there r no rules so I expect those r blatantly ignored or broken too.

Also Dji is supposedly 50/50 to come back here yet these vcu guys are long gone lol. there is no point to evaluate anyone's rosters for a couple more months.
LOL.. maybe in your VCU can do no wrong and we can do no right world, VCU had the better year. I am sure if the roles were reversed you would have ignored VCU's regular season title and said we had the better year for "advancing farther in the NIT"....a tourney you and plenty of others on here have bad mouthed numerous times. LOL...yep, sure you would have.

Reactions: urfan1 and WCUR11
I'm trying to rank my favorite phrases on these prospect updates. I think I'm going with:
1) "Respect my decision"
2) "#NotCommitted"
3) "With that being said ..."
4) "10,000,000% committed"

#3.

I figure they, or their agent, mostly all use AI to wrte them.

Here's a good AI one, free to anyone who would like to give it a good home. Not bad. I give it about an 8/10. And I am 1000000000005% committed to that ranking.

Dear Fans,

I'm thrilled to share that after much reflection and soul-searching, I've decided to commit to [New University's Name]. This journey has been filled with tough choices, but ultimately, I believe this move will push me to new heights both on and off the court. I'm grateful for the support of my family, coaches, and fans who've stood by me. To my new team, I can't wait to join forces and chase greatness together. Your passion fuels my determination, and I promise to give my all every time I step on the court. Let's make history! #NewBeginnings #Go[New University's Team Name] 🚀🏀

LOL.. maybe in your VCU can do no wrong and we can do no right world, VCU had the better year. I am sure if the roles were reversed you would have ignored VCU's regular season title and said we had the better year for "advancing farther in the NIT"....a tourney you and plenty of others on here have bad mouthed numerous times. LOL...yep, sure you would have.

hate vcu but i try to be objective & call it like I see it.

They had better metrics, they split vs. us H2h (tho it is actually underperformance for them), they went to NIT quarters we went out round 1. I'm personally not anti-NIT never have been but I'm realsitic about what it is too, plus NIT is trending even farther down.

But biggest thing is they went to A10 finals. we went out round 1. They ended up with a greater than 50/50 shot to make NCAA. U take that. we generally suck in A10 tourney they are good and regularly help their NCAA chances which is what it's about. Finishing 1st was nice & we had never done it but we got zip out of it. Now would I rather finish 1st and take our chances that way in future....yes of course. But not the case this past season.

How you perform end of year carries more weight. Always has always will. We completely flamed out end of year in 2024, vcu was better at end. In 2022 VCU finished above us in A10, beat us h2h 2 games to 1. But guess what we easily had the better year overall.

Particularly tough to see a guy like that who followed Odom do it though. He declared for the draft, but the thinking was he would return to VCU if that route wasn't going to pan out for him this year.
Sounds like Burton last year…

hate vcu but i try to be objective & call it like I see it.

They had better metrics, they split vs. us H2h (tho it is actually underperformance for them), they went to NIT quarters we went out round 1. I'm personally not anti-NIT never have been but I'm realsitic about what it is too, plus NIT is trending even farther down.

But biggest thing is they went to A10 finals. we went out round 1. They ended up with a greater than 50/50 shot to make NCAA. U take that. we generally suck in A10 tourney they are good and regularly help their NCAA chances which is what it's about. Finishing 1st was nice & we had never done it but we got zip out of it. Now would I rather finish 1st and take our chances that way in future....yes of course. But not the case this past season.

How you perform end of year carries more weight. Always has always will. We completely flamed out end of year in 2024, vcu was better at end. In 2022 VCU finished above us in A10, beat us h2h 2 games to 1. But guess what we easily had the better year overall.
Maybe instead of a better year, a better March would be more accurate. And maybe more important?

Reactions: PASpider

First Saturday in August…

I know we weren't linked to Huffman, but there was some discussion of him here, so...he's headed to Vandy.

He's a guard, but only had 39 assists with 51 turnovers, and the previous year, 13 assists and 36 turnovers.

Well tbf he’s a scoring guard, maybe even a wing. At Richmond those kind of guys don’t get lot of assists typically either. We know a lot come from the 5 in our O. Smith looked like he had very good mid major interest but not high major. So not crazy he’s at CofC with Mack coming in. Took big step as Soph. Seems like could have been a good pickup for us with 2 years left but we’ll see who else we land.

Reactions: VT4700
Without having seen much of his highlights, that was my impression too... He's a scorer. Would be nice to get a guy like that with multiple years left but not sure how heavy we were in on him. I like Turner too but he's a rental. But a very good one who could help a lot.

Reactions: VT4700
Shulga is a big hit though.
4 of top 6 scorers are gone. it's another full rebuild.
He is a big hit for sure. He is there best player, but I think this is pretty much every team now. VCU has Jackson and Bamismile back which are the 2 and 3 top scorers, whereas our Top 4 are all gone. So arguably we have a bigger rebuild. But yes, we knew all of our guys (except for Dji) were done after this year. VCU, I'm sure that Shulga was coming back.

Brickus would be a huge get for them. But I like Beagle for us. Honestly, I think both program are probably about in the same space.

VCU is like a cat falling though, they always land on their feet.

We must have juuuust missed the top 5 for Adou Thiero.

It is a little amusing, or jarring, to see a guy transfer from a school and then list same school in his top 5. But these r the portal & fake NIL days we r living in. I guess little more understandable given the coaching change.

I’d like Dji back but to VT4700’s point if we end up seeing a finalist list of his with Richmond that is probably a bridge too far. Tho I think he’ll keep it private.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT