ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

Anthony Selden from Rice is back in the portal this year. We were involved with him last year when he was getting out of Gardner-Webb.

Also Tyler Nickel from Tech, who we recruited out of high school, but I'm sure he'll have plenty of big offers.
We are indeed talking to Selden again this year.

A more select list for Thelwell, and we're not on it. Has visited UCF and has scheduled to visit Iowa, Miami, and SMU.

Names coming off the board by the minute today:

- Penn's Clark Slajchert to USC
- NDSU's Boden Skunberg to Illinois State
- W&M's Charlie Williams to Lipscomb

Last edited:
Reactions: MDspider8
Names coming off the board by the minute today:

- Penn's Clark Slajchert to USC
- NDSU's Boden Skunberg to Illinois State
- W&M's Charlie Williams to Lipscomb
What exactly is the definition of the quiet period? Sure seems like quite a bit of activity has been occurring.

It's actually a dead period, so no in-person contact or visits. But they can still call/text/etc.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
oh well, my guy Matt Zona committed to Fordham. thought he might be a fit but I guess the Beagle commit ended that.

The current state of college basketball is weighting on me. I’m quickly losing interest.

Can’t get excited about tracking the portal like signing a HS recruit.
The portal has made it more exciting to me. These guys have college stats and highlights we can look at vs. high school. Seems like we get a much better feel for how a guy will fit and perform this way. I remember I was excited about landing Nelson and Smith, but, obviously, you never know how they will perform at our level. But, I was a lot more excited about King and Hunt, knowing they could give us much needed help right away. So far, the portal has been a big time net positive for us, so hard to be disappointed with it.

Reactions: urmite
So far, the portal has been a big time net positive for us, so hard to be disappointed with it.
Really?
Portal year #1 - 11th place conference finish.

Portal year #2 - Regular season co-champions. NIT first round loss.

Doesn’t meet my definition of big time.

I will agree that the portal adds were great improvements over the recent high school recruits that have come and left. ButI think part of the problem has also been the extra Covid years causing a backlog on playing time. May have been able to get better recruits if there were openings.

Reactions: Spider B
Really?
Portal year #1 - 11th place conference finish.

Portal year #2 - Regular season co-champions. NIT first round loss.

Doesn’t meet my definition of big time.

I will agree that the portal adds were great improvements over the recent high school recruits that have come and left. ButI think part of the problem has also been the extra Covid years causing a backlog on playing time. May have been able to get better recruits if there were openings.
Yes, really. We started 4 portal guys this year, had 2 others be part of our rotation, and went 15-3 in the A-10 and won a regular season title with them. Yes, really! SMH.

In theory I agree with but, but as close as we are geographically, that's how far apart we are in almost everything else. I can't imagine there is much overlap in any students, let alone athletes, who are considering a big public urban campus versus a small private leafy campus.

Reactions: RichmondNative

Crazy how much talent is entering on a daily basis, forget the number - something like 1200 - 1300 players?

Of note to me on this list: Mongolian Mike - formerly of Dayton and then USF. A lot of potential "step down" guys too.

I do think we have done a nice job of landing team first guys the last two years. I have seen a couple articles referencing some P6 teams that spent $2million last off season and missed the NCAA's, have to imaging Villanova may have been one. Saw an article about Hurley, he says he pays as much attention to the parents and text and phone discussions with them. Are they "fans" first, or parents? Are they blaming the other players and coaches on their current and AAU teams or discussing what their son needs to work on etc?

I like 4 year players as much as the next guy. but I enjoyed watching Jordan King this season as much as any Spider I can think of. I enjoyed Quinn, Bigelow, Harris and Hunt too.

going back in time, some of my favorite Spiders were transfers.
TJ Cline
Blake Francis
Greg Stevenson
Kinte Smith
Tony Dobbins
I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

so no, I don't have a problem with the portal or NIL.
and I'm thankful for the guys funding our NIL to land us good players to watch.

Crazy how much talent is entering on a daily basis, forget the number - something like 1200 - 1300 players?

Of note to me on this list: Mongolian Mike - formerly of Dayton and then USF. A lot of potential "step down" guys too.

I do think we have done a nice job of landing team first guys the last two years. I have seen a couple articles referencing some P6 teams that spent $2million last off season and missed the NCAA's, have to imaging Villanova may have been one. Saw an article about Hurley, he says he pays as much attention to the parents and text and phone discussions with them. Are they "fans" first, or parents? Are they blaming the other players and coaches on their current and AAU teams or discussing what their son needs to work on etc?
I see one of our High Point guards finally entered the portal... 👀

why would a guy playing major minutes on a championship level team look to step down in conference?
that's a high major guy and a high major NIL.

Reactions: urfan1
I agree, but there are literally hundreds of high major guys in the portal. Would assume they would go to another high major - and probably half don't have a better role or didn't get what they expect. Would think a few would try a lower - yet still top 8 conference - where they could be the man, or think they could.

As I said before: Just a shot in the dark here. But if not Gillis, seems like there are some uber talented guys that might have the interest in a better opportunity for a larger role. Just like Kaiser at Maryland.

But yes Gillis is probably not that guy based on 6th man of the year and insane 3pt percentage.

Mooney told him to go check in on our old friend MoJo before he comes back here to sign on the dotted line. Professional courtesy.

I like 4 year players as much as the next guy. but I enjoyed watching Jordan King this season as much as any Spider I can think of. I enjoyed Quinn, Bigelow, Harris and Hunt too.

TJ Cline
Blake Francis
Greg Stevenson
Kinte Smith
Tony Dobbins

Notable transfers - Bob McCurdy for sure.

TJ Cline
Blake Francis
Greg Stevenson
Kinte Smith
Tony Dobbins

Rodney Rice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT