ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

What would the NCAA do if he showed up to play for Alabama Friday night?

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't expect us to get anybody until we're into April. Here are the commitment dates of our transfers over the last two summers:

• King: April 18th
  • Hunt: May 17th
  • Harris: June 19th
  • Quinn: April 10th
  • Bigelow: April 14th
  • Roche: April 23rd

Reactions: urfan1
I'm going to guess Providence for Edwards. Seems like a Kim English style fit to a T.

I think Edwards is really good. But in truth, I'd rather find a quick scoring guard and a big man than a wing.

Trying to dip into the Western Carolina waters again with DJ Campbell, 6'2 G. He's from Hampton VA.

wet themselves
I said it mostly tongue in cheek, but I really do wonder if anything would happen. I mean we now have transfers who don't have to sit, guys playing on their 4th team in 4 years, guys who entered transfer portal before it even started, teams who are still playing actively recruiting in the portal - someone may test this soon and I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA step aside and do nothing.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I said it mostly tongue in cheek, but I really do wonder if anything would happen. I mean we now have transfers who don't have to sit, guys playing on their 4th team in 4 years, guys who entered transfer portal before it even started, teams who are still playing actively recruiting in the portal - someone may test this soon and I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA step aside and do nothing.
Even if NCAA tried to prevent it, somebody would sue - something about wellness of players, mental health, etc

I joked about this earlier but soon they’ll fight/litigate how long u can play. 6 years why not. If a kid is still enrolled in school. Can’t take away a kids rights.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Jason Rivera-Torres from Vandy.

Apparently he also starred in an Apple TV series called Swagger? Has 76k followers on Insta and 123k on TikTok. He also went to John Marshall.

Will be interesting Carolina. Smith - I think is a real wild card. Pretty big recruit coming in. Give Mooney credit, year previous put all his eggs in the Jaynel basket (I'll admit I was with him, but again I was not watching practices either :)), and pivoted to bring in established guards ahead of Smith, and added Tyne late. That was good and pivotal to our regular season success this season. But now Smith finds himself behind Tyne on the depth chart, so have to wonder about him.

Tanner - really hoping he comes back. The little I have seen I like. He looks like he is a team guy on the bench and all in. C'mon back.

Reactions: MDspider8
Will be interesting Carolina. Smith - I think is a real wild card. Pretty big recruit coming in. Give Mooney credit, year previous put all his eggs in the Jaynel basket (I'll admit I was with him, but again I was not watching practices either :)), and pivoted to bring in established guards ahead of Smith, and added Tyne late. That was good and pivotal to our regular season success this season. But now Smith finds himself behind Tyne on the depth chart, so have to wonder about him.

Tanner - really hoping he comes back. The little I have seen I like. He looks like he is a team guy on the bench and all in. C'mon back.
Yea I agree on all points. After VCU game I was watching players body language and Smith was one who seemed not
pleased with his situation. Noyes last night kept looking up at Mooney like he was expecting to come in. Tyne has shown
a lot of hustle and tough defense. He just plays too fast at times with bad decisions. Good example of let the game come to you. Smith may be like Nelson with high pedigree in HS but slow to get to next level in college. Mooney still makes choice of taking a defensive player over a the other like Harris and Tyne which leaves us with too few scoring options on the floor.

It should be a red flag that Tanner, Trevor, and Noyes got basically zero playing time in conference. Yes, Mooney has a tight rotation, but if a guy can play and contribute, Mooney is going to throw a bone to them every once in a while, even if it comes with a short leash. He didn't, that should tell us something. Hoping they get magically better next year to be meaningful contributors on an A-10 team seems, but that seem like a lot of wishcasting. It may be best for us and them if they explore the portal.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Former Spider target Rowan Brumbaugh is back in the portal. Originally committed to Northwestern, backed out of that and went to Texas, than transferred to Georgetown last year.

Huffman into the portal for his fifth year. Not surprising considering Davidson's lack of grad programs.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Honestly, at this point, I'm all for loading up on as many proven players as we can get. You have to do it if you want to stay relevant and keep winning. Sorry to the guys who came here from high school, but if they're not ready to contribute, find someone who is. That doesn't mean we stop recruiting high school kids of course, but I'm not holding spots open for any of them either.

Reactions: gospidersgo
EL, agree. I do like the young guys, and hope they can turn into program guys - but it is a completely different landscape. I guess since Mooney has no pressure, and has stated preference for keeping guys - he may try to go less heavy on transfers. But I do think the nature of the portal will dictate that we will have more open spots every year - forcing our hand.

Brumbaugh is a very intriguing. Big guard. Shot 37% from 3. Point guard skills I think. Redshirted at Texas before transferring to Georgetown. Sounds like he got ill and lost his starting job. Filled in as starter one week and was BE Freshman of the week. Maybe he wants to come somewhere he can play big minutes? We have that prior recruiting relationship.

Huffman into the portal for his fifth year. Not surprising considering Davidson's lack of grad programs.

IF only he could shoot the 3, he would be a guy to target, but his lack of shooting does not make me want him for our system, but I could see him getting picked up by bigger programs for a backup role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT