ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Presidential Election

Meanwhile, Kamala spoke to an emergency meeting of donors... and caused more harm than good.

"In just under five minutes of remarks, Harris didn’t address the growing calls from congressional Democrats that Biden drop from the ticket and instead thanked the participants for their support. As donations to Biden’s campaign have slowed since the debate, the implicit request was clear....

Harris did not take questions from the donors, leaving the call once her remarks concluded. That decision angered some donors, according to one person on the call who was granted anonymity to describe the private meeting."

you have seen the polls where 2/3 of Democrats want him to be replaced as the candidate? a shift in opinion is not democratic?

Last edited:
you have seen the polls where 2/3 of Democrats want him to be replaced as the candidates? a shift in opinion is not democratic?
Hey c'mon, he's a Republican so he knows what we want more so than we Democrats do.

you have seen the polls where 2/3 of Democrats want him to be replaced as the candidate? a shift in opinion is not democratic?
The polls are of registered democrats, not of the pledged delegates. Those delegates are pledged to Biden on the first ballet. That means that he has 90 % of the delegates that have to vote for him on the first round. Biden has said he is open to a convention fight by telling his naysayers to try it at the convention. It is a game of chicken... Biden knows he is in the driver's seat. This is where it gets fun.... I blame this on my Political Science degree from UR.

Here is Poltico's take

"The president would come to the convention with 3,896 “pledged” delegates, chosen in primaries and caucuses where he faced no real opposition, and representing well over 90 percent of the elected delegates. That does not include some 700 automatic “superdelegates” — members of the House and Senate, governors, state party chairs and DNC members. These superdelegates are not permitted to vote on the first ballot unless it’s determined that one candidate has an absolute majority of pledged delegates, which Biden will obviously have.

Well, so what? Even if every superdelegate refused to vote for Biden, those pledged delegates for the president would presumably nominate him overwhelmingly.

Except … those pledged delegates are not actually required to vote for him.....

But four years later (in 1984), Democrats changed their mind. Recognizing the possibility that some event — an illness, a scandal — might cause a change of heart, Democrats instead adopted Rule 13.j which says: “Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.” That rule is still in effect. And it gives these elected delegates more than enough running room to drop their support for Biden.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Someone has to take a poll of pledged delegates and to make an actual headcount. Until they take the actual temperature of the pledged delegates, we will not know whether Biden faces a real threat at the convention, which will run between August 19-22

He has been called "comeback Joe", if he pulls this off and sends Donnie home crying again it will cement the name. It could be the greatest comeback in history.

True, but more likely he sends the Dem Party home crying.

Not saying this as a partisan, just realistic reading of where he is and where the electorate is.

A ticket of Whitmer and Shapiro highly likely to give you Michigan and PA. Almost there in the Electoral College as a Party. Run Biden, dead in the water up and down the ticket.

I would prefer a different ticket, but there's also a tremendous amount of underestimating going on here. It's also July and there's a long way until November. People who are going to vote for Trump have already decided that. He doesn't have many meaningful votes to try to win between now and then.

The reason he could win is if people who would vote against him decide not to vote for Biden. But when push comes to shove, it won't be surprising when a good number of them do vote for Biden because the alternative is too horrific to stomach.

And you certainly didn't have a problem with right-wing terrorists trying to determine the next president by attempting to overturn the government and the election in 2020.
You claim that Donald Trump is against democracy. Remember, Donald Trump took a bullet for democracy.

You claim that Donald Trump is against democracy. Remember, Donald Trump took a bullet for democracy.
I thought it missed him, because God wanted a fireman who was a real family man to die instead of an adulterous POS.

Yeah, if God is protecting people like Trump at the expense of people who aren't actually worthless scum, I have many questions.

Now the GOP is in real trouble. No more age-related issues. The GOP is actually going to have to run on the real issues, when the economy is booming, wages are up, the market is soaring, crime is down, no wars are being fought, infrastructure investment is everywhere, creating thousands of construction jobs. They have no platform issues, they couldn't do a thing when they had the presidency, the house and the senate except give more tax breaks to billionaires.

In fact, now Trump is the old, doddering, incoherent guy now. He can't string two intelligent sentences together, he's fat and out of shape and a stroke waiting to happen. And he'll be further exposed as the racist misogynist he truly is.

Whitmer or Shapiro as the VP. Michigan and/or Pennsylvania protected.

Make up your mind you have been saying Biden should step aside for some time. Oh I forgot Democrats bad, Republicans good!

Reactions: Eight Legger
Wow. The power has been taken away from the people. How do you defend against this usurpation of the leader of the Democratic Party.
Do you know anything about how we elect a president? Those 14 million voters you're so concerned about also voted for Harris. In this country we vote for the president and vice-president AS ONE UNIT. A vote for Biden was also a vote for Harris.

PS: In the Democrat party, the delegates determine the nominee.

Read Obama's full statement below:

"Joe Biden has been one of America's most consequential presidents, as well as a dear friend and partner to me. Today, we've also been reminded — again — that he's a patriot of the highest order.

Sixteen years ago, when I began my search for a vice president, I knew about Joe's remarkable career in public service. But what I came to admire even more was his character — his deep empathy and hard-earned resilience; his fundamental decency and belief that everyone counts.

Since taking office, President Biden has displayed that character again and again. He helped end the pandemic, created millions of jobs, lowered the cost of prescription drugs, passed the first major piece of gun safety legislation in 30 years, made the biggest investment to address climate change in history, and fought to ensure the rights of working people to organize for fair wages and benefits. Internationally, he restored America's standing in the world, revitalized NATO, and mobilized the world to stand up against Russian aggression in Ukraine.

More than that, President Biden pointed us away from the four years of chaos, falsehood, and division that had characterized Donald Trump's administration. Through his policies and his example, Joe has reminded us of who we are at our best — a country committed to old-fashioned values like trust and honesty, kindness and hard work; a country that believes in democracy, rule of law, and accountability; a country that insists that everyone, no matter who they are, has a voice and deserves a chance at a better life.

This outstanding track record gave President Biden every right to run for re-election and finish the job he started. Joe understands better than anyone the stakes in this election — how everything he has fought for throughout his life, and everything that the Democratic Party stands for, will be at risk if we allow Donald Trump back in the White House and give Republicans control of Congress.

I also know Joe has never backed down from a fight. For him to look at the political landscape and decide that he should pass the torch to a new nominee is surely one of the toughest in his life. But I know he wouldn't make this decision unless he believed it was right for America. It's a testament to Joe Biden's love of country — and a historic example of a genuine public servant once again putting the interests of the American people ahead of his own that future generations of leaders will do well to follow.

We will be navigating uncharted waters in the days ahead. But I have extraordinary confidence that the leaders of our party will be able to create a process from which an outstanding nominee emerges. I believe that Joe Biden's vision of a generous, prosperous, and united America that provides opportunity for everyone will be on full display at the Democratic Convention in August. And I expect that every single one of us are prepared to carry that message of hope and progress forward into November and beyond.

For now, Michelle and I just want to express our love and gratitude to Joe and Jill for leading us so ably and courageously during these perilous times — and for their commitment to the ideals of freedom and equality that this country was founded on."

What a joke, Trump was a draft dodger (fake Dr. letter, fake bone spurs) and now you try to make him a hero, not for anything he has done, but because he got nicked in the ear by a troubled registered Republican who fired at him with what should be a banned weapon, and would be except for the likes of Trump himself.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Now the GOP is in real trouble. No more age-related issues. The GOP is actually going to have to run on the real issues, when the economy is booming, wages are up, the market is soaring, crime is down, no wars are being fought, infrastructure investment is everywhere, creating thousands of construction jobs. They have no platform issues, they couldn't do a thing when they had the presidency, the house and the senate except give more tax breaks to billionaires.

In fact, now Trump is the old, doddering, incoherent guy now. He can't string two intelligent sentences together, he's fat and out of shape and a stroke waiting to happen. And he'll be further exposed as the racist misogynist he truly is.

Whitmer or Shapiro as the VP. Michigan and/or Pennsylvania protected.
Certainly is one take.

Here is an alternative view:

Foreign Policy

Disastrous/ humiliating withdrawal from Afghanistan on the World stage. Encouraged our adversaries to be more adventuresome. See Ukraine invasion. See Iran using proxies to attack Israel. See China bullying Taiwan and the Philippines. To make it worse we left tens of billions of armament for our enemies' use against our allies and our own interests. DOD begged the President to retain Bagram with 2,500 troops in a purely defensive posture, but Joe "knew" better.

Iran policy - same as Obama's "Let's make friends". Hey, they have zero interest in being our friends. Zero. Lifted enough sanctions to enrich the regime by billions which they gleefully invested to attack our allies and our interests in the Mideast.

Jumped into Ukraine before thinking it through, but with a lot of bravado. If the goal was to stop Russian aggression, then why the slow walk of the most needed armaments for years?, shamefully sacrificing the blood and treasure of the Ukrainians. If committed to the Ukrainians, go in hard immediately making it plain to Putin that the invasion will not stand. Either "in it to win it" or don't go in at all. The President did neither.

Domestic Policy

Allowed roughly 10 million folks, most scantily vetted at best, to walk across our border. These folks are mostly now receiving some sort of government assistance when we are 30 trillion plus in debt. These folks will steal jobs from core Democrat minority constituencies. Although they are overwhelmingly peaceful and interested in a better life, some have raped, pillaged, plundered, and murdered. If it happened once, it is once too many bc they should not be here.

Dumped too much money on an already overheated post Covid economy resulting in highest inflation in 40 years.

The LNG export ban, temporary or long term, defies logic.

Could go on and on.

This from a guy in "no man's land", don't support Trump or the Dems.

His Administration has been harmful both domestically and foreign. A gentleman's "D" grade on both

Last edited:
Certainly is one take.

Here is an alternative view:

Foreign Policy

Disastrous/ humiliating withdrawal from Afghanistan on the World stage. Encouraged our adversaries to be more adventuresome. See Ukraine invasion. See Iran using proxies to attack Israel. See China bullying Taiwan and the Philippines. To make it worse we left tens of billions of armament for our enemies' use against our allies and our own interests. DOD begged the President to retain Bagram with 2,500 troops in a purely defensive posture, but Joe "knew" better.

Iran policy - same as Obama's "Let's make friends". Hey, they have zero interest in being our friends. Zero. Lifted enough sanctions to enrich the regime by billions which they gleefully invested to attack our allies and our interests in the Mideast.

Jumped into Ukraine before thinking it through, but with a lot of bravado. If the goal was to stop Russian aggression, then why the slow walk of the most needed armaments for years?, shamefully sacrificing the blood and treasure of the Ukrainians. If committed to the Ukrainians, go in hard immediately making it plain to Putin that the invasion will not stand. Either "in it to win it" or don't go in at all. The President did neither.

Domestic Policy

Allowed roughly 10 million folks, most scantily vetted at best, to walk across our border. These folks are mostly now receiving some sort of government assistance when we are 30 trillion plus in debt. These folks will steal jobs from core Democrat minority constituencies. Although they are overwhelmingly peaceful and interested in a better life, some have raped, pillaged, plundered, and murdered. If it happened once, it is once too many bc they should not be here.

Dumped too much money on an already overheated post Covid economy resulting in highest inflation in 40 years.

The LNG export ban, temporary or long term, defies logic.

Could go on and on.

This from a guy in "no man's land", don't support Trump or the Dems.

His Administration has been harmful both domestically and foreign. A gentleman's "D" grade on both
Well that's why we have elections I guess.

Trump is going to get his ass kicked. Again. And again he'll say he was cheated, and spout all the same nonsense he did last time that the Republican party aided, abetted and swallowed hook, line and sinker. Except this time no one will be listening because everyone except the MAGGAT Kool-Aid drinkers are sick and tired of his draft-dodging, racist misogynist self.

And if he tries to incite his idiots to attack the Capitol again in an attempt to overthrow the government, this time the president will have called out the National Guard. And they'll be ready, locked and loaded.

Wood, taking this conversation off the messiness of politics.

Have a dear friend and fellow KE who just moved to Corvallis. Believe you live in that general area. Couple of years behind me. Believe Class of 76 so in your general era I believe. Lived in Freeman or whatever it now goes by. Is their an alumni group out there? Contact info? He has some health issues so moved to be close to his daughter.

Reactions: Wood Hall
Remember, Kamala Harris had one job- she was the Border Czar. She allowed more than 10 million illegals into this country. She only visited the Border once. Kamala does not appeal to those living in the rust belt.

Last edited:
The bureaucratic machine is running the country. Kamala Harris will continue the policies that she instituted and implemented. The border policies and the green new deal are among her greatest weaknesses. She owns all of Biden's policy mistakes.

Last edited:
Both Obama and Pelosi are behind this. This is power politics.

"The more than 14 million people who participated in the Democratic Party's nominating process now find that their selection nullified by Pelosi and former President Barack Obama, who, former Illinois Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich tweeted Sunday, was clearly acting against Biden behind the scenes.

"I've known Obama since 1995. We both come out of Chicago politics. I know how it works. He's behind the campaign to dump 15 million Dem primary voters & replace Biden with his choice. Classic Chicago Democrat machine politics. Selection over election. The bosses over the people," Blagojevich tweeted."

The party of the people has become the party of the powerful and the insiders, traitors to their class as much as the much-revered Franklin Delano Roosevelt was to his.

I don't know how many of you subscribe to the WSJ, but they have a nice article on the coverup of Biden's decline:

How the Bet on Joe Biden Turned Into an Epic Miscalculation

President Biden had just finished trying to persuade a group of congressional Democrats to pass a $1 trillion infrastructure bill when Nancy Pelosi, then the House speaker, took the microphone.

In 30 minutes of remarks on Capitol Hill, Biden had spoken disjointedly and failed to make a concrete ask of lawmakers, according to Democrats in the room. After he left, a visibly frustrated Pelosi told the group she would articulate what Biden had been trying to say, one lawmaker said.

“It was the first time I remember people pretty jarred by what they had seen,” recalled Rep. Dean Phillips (D., Minn.), who would go on to mount an unsuccessful primary challenge against the president.

That was October 2021. That month was the last time Biden met with the House Democratic caucus on the Hill regarding legislation...

Reactions: Gallipoli
I don't know how many of you subscribe to the WSJ, but they have a nice article on the coverup of Biden's decline:

How the Bet on Joe Biden Turned Into an Epic Miscalculation

President Biden had just finished trying to persuade a group of congressional Democrats to pass a $1 trillion infrastructure bill when Nancy Pelosi, then the House speaker, took the microphone.

In 30 minutes of remarks on Capitol Hill, Biden had spoken disjointedly and failed to make a concrete ask of lawmakers, according to Democrats in the room. After he left, a visibly frustrated Pelosi told the group she would articulate what Biden had been trying to say, one lawmaker said.

“It was the first time I remember people pretty jarred by what they had seen,” recalled Rep. Dean Phillips (D., Minn.), who would go on to mount an unsuccessful primary challenge against the president.

That was October 2021. That month was the last time Biden met with the House Democratic caucus on the Hill regarding legislation...
This is good stuff. Thanks for the heads-up. I just renewed my subscription to the WSJ for $4 per month for the next year. Its articles are well-reasoned and concise.

This article is very telling- Biden has really been struggling.

Wood, taking this conversation off the messiness of politics.

Have a dear friend and fellow KE who just moved to Corvallis. Believe you live in that general area. Couple of years behind me. Believe Class of 76 so in your general era I believe. Lived in Freeman or whatever it now goes by. Is their an alumni group out there? Contact info? He has some health issues so moved to be close to his daughter.
The UR alumni group is based in Portland, I don't have any interaction with them. E-mail me at 211cheyenne@gmail.com and I'll send you my contact info you can forward to him, he can get ahold of me if he's inerested. Just saw in Bill Jordan's obit that one of his grandkids lives in town but I don't know him.

“I'm afraid if we lose this one, it's going to take a civil war to save the country, and it will be saved. It's the greatest experiment in the history of mankind, and if we come down to a civil war, I'm glad we got people like … Bikers for Trump on our side,”

The above was said at a rally for Trump and Vance by state of Ohio Republican senator George Lang.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT