ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Rhode Island

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

I'd like to thank the Richmond offense, led by Cam Coleman, for getting the Spiders to Saturday's game versus the Rams at 2-1 in the CAA...I'll admit it, the win rekindled my Spiders mojo despite the continued long odds...

as poorly as we played through the Hampton game we're in a group of four squads at 2-1...this battle with the blue Rams probably eliminates the loser from serious Championship hopes...

Rhode Island seems to be by far the best FCS squad the Spiders have faced this season...and for the first time versus an FCS opponent Richmond will be a significant underdog...an unidentified defensive player in yesterday's local media session acknowledged that every game is now an elimination game for the Spiders...

facing a solid opponent, and with stakes this high, will likely require an extraordinary effort and execution in all three phases of the game to bring home a Spiders upset win...Cam Coleman and the offense gave Spiders fans hope last week that our offense had found itself...I can't wait to find out if it was real, or an anomaly...it's likely our defense won't stop the Rams powerful offense, but if they can control Rhody, maybe we can score enough points to win?...

a UR win and 3-1 in the CAA at the halfway mark would be where many thought we would be before the season began...after all we've been through since Morgan State that would be ironic...

enjoy the Prologue...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: ncspiderfan
21 years ago UR beat URI over a 2 day period because the URI field flooded

Ram Football Shut Down By Richmond, 26-0

I was there on Saturday, did not stay for Sunday. It was crazy. Literally waded through mid-thigh high water to exit the stadium. It was time to leave when the footballs floated away.

Five games left.

Believe remaining opponents combined records are 9-6 in conference, 15-14 overall. Badly stubbed toes in Morgan State and Hampton nevertheless the road ahead, though steep, is not insurmountable.

Spider bye 11/4 just before Elon and WM games. Get to 11/4 at 6-3 with a week of rest and take on possibly best two teams in CAA. Tall order. Most everything needs to fall into place.

But hey I'm a fan. Can be done. Far more importantly believe team believes it can be done. Take the first step today.

Go Spiders!

Sure did. Team is hanging in there though. Long TD after the strip sack. Up 14-10 and more good than bad. Nick D really making the plays to make Coleman look good. D-line making some plays. Need the secondary to shore up the coverage and a little more consistency on offense.

Spiders will some fortune news on replays today. However still really sloppy performance. Need to get a handle on this and make some plays.

Wickersham with some hard running for the short yardage first down. Not my first choice but a 3rd conversion is always good news!

Reactions: urfan1
Need someone other than Nick D to step up and make some plays. Line could help Coleman out a little more.

Not the drive we wanted to have when we had a chance to put the game away. Going to need the defense to hold down the fort.

Reactions: urfan1
Six sacks was huge for the defense. Their pass game has been solid all year and they got a lot of yards today, but enough as a defensive unit to hold them down.

Liked the change to Wickersham to run the ball.

Later in year this could be good, if teams key on him, he can stand up and throw it pretty good.

URI does more with less. Glad they still have a program - for so many years that was in doubt.

If anyone finds any highlight videos, please post links here. Would love to see a few of the plays!

Nice win. Seems like sideline coaching has improved. But we will have to win out to get into the playoffs. When you start off with horrible loses, it's a long climb up the rankings. I remember Roccos first year, we started 4-3, then won the last 4 games to finish 8-3. Still didn't make the playoffs. Kind of like Mooney losing the first game to Delaware, it's difficult to overcome a bad start. Possibly we can win the CAA, but that's a tall order. Then again, we started 2008 4-3, so anything is possible.

Reactions: mojo-spider
In recent years, no one has been more down on the University as a Whole or the Athletic Program than me. On a rainy afternoon while taking care of some personal business on the computer, I listened to Bob Black and his sidekick and felt like I was in the stadium. They did an outstanding job with the Play- By Play! Despite my ongoing disgust with the direction of UR, I am still a Spider ( Red and Blue) pulling for a team that appears to have a lot of "moxy"

Can we hire the CAA personnel responsible for this compilation.Our PR group couldn’t make a JV team on a high school yearbook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT