ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponent's Countdown - Elon

I was as tough on this team and staff as anyone after September but they never gave up and deserve a ton of respect for where we are now. Beautiful day today on campus and awesome to see the 1998 team recognized…they really turned things around for this program. Nothing better in the world than to have an opportunity to beat the Tribe and hopefully grab a playoff spot in the process. I’ll be in Williamsburg next Saturday…hope to see a lot of fellow spiders.

Regardless of what some may think, if you go into the last week of the season and are playing for a conference championship, in my book that's a good season. This will be the second year in a row we will do that. Many gave the credit to Cosh and Udenski last year. They are gone and here we are again with new offensive coordinators and new QBs again playing for a championship. That shows a program is on solid ground regardless of what some bitter fans may think. We certainly lost two games we should have won and many gave up on this team. Some to the point, still can't even recognize the guts and resilience it took to win five games in a row and go into next weeks game with a chance to win a piece of a championship and a berth in the playoffs. Many will say even if we win, we get no berth, but to this team that ring and the Capital Cup is the first goal. We dominated a team today that just went to the highest ranked team in our conference and gave them a loss at home. If you don't think a win next week should get us in the playoffs, you probably deep down just want to get on this board and say I told you so.

How about a massive group of Spider fans show up in Wiliamsburg next week and lets
have a great tailgate and then go into the game and root as loud as we can and hopefully celebrate a win and conference championship. It's a lot more fun than picking out all the negative things and posting them on a message board. Go Spiders and take care of business next week!

Last edited:
Regardless of what some may think, if you go into the last week of the season and are playing for a conference championship, in my book that's a good season. This will be the second year in a row we will do that. Many gave the credit to Cosh and Udenski last year. They are gone and here we are again with new offensive coordinators and new QBs again playing for a championship. That shows a program is on solid ground regardless of what some bitter fans may think. We certainly lost two games we should have won and many gave up on this team. Some to the point, still can't even recognize the guts and resilience it took to win five games in a row and go into next weeks game with a chance to win a piece of a championship and a berth in the playoffs. Many will say even if we win, we get no berth, but to this team that ring and the Commonwealth Cup is the first goal. We dominated a team today that just went to the highest ranked team in our conference and gave them a loss at home. If you don't think a win next week should get us in the playoffs, you probably deep down just want to get on this board and say I told you so.

How about a massive group of Spider fans show up in Wiliamsburg next week and lets
have a great tailgate and then go into the game and root as loud as we can and hopefully celebrate a win and conference championship. It's a lot more fun than picking out all the negative things and posting them on a message board. Go Spiders and take care of business next week!
I totally agree! I will be there with bells on!

Reactions: urfan1 and DTSpider
Great W. Didn't get to see much of it, but Spiders controlled the game. Defense continues to play well and the offense looks to be vastly improved. O Line playing much better now than early in the year.

Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned yet but how about the short yardage plays!?!?! Great work during the bye week to make changes to what had been a real struggle area for us. Love that we tried something different coming out under center with power formations - and then most importantly actually moved people off the ball. Great work there!!!

Regardless of what some may think, if you go into the last week of the season and are playing for a conference championship, in my book that's a good season. This will be the second year in a row we will do that. Many gave the credit to Cosh and Udenski last year. They are gone and here we are again with new offensive coordinators and new QBs again playing for a championship. That shows a program is on solid ground regardless of what some bitter fans may think. We certainly lost two games we should have won and many gave up on this team. Some to the point, still can't even recognize the guts and resilience it took to win five games in a row and go into next weeks game with a chance to win a piece of a championship and a berth in the playoffs. Many will say even if we win, we get no berth, but to this team that ring and the Commonwealth Cup is the first goal. We dominated a team today that just went to the highest ranked team in our conference and gave them a loss at home. If you don't think a win next week should get us in the playoffs, you probably deep down just want to get on this board and say I told you so.

Great post!! Winning conference football games (particularly ours) is no easy task each week. Proud of this group that they continued to show up time and time again. In August, I think most of us would’ve signed up for being 7-3 with a chance to win a conference title at Bill and Larry to finish off the regular season.

This team deserves a whole lot of support in enemy territory next week! Looking forward to being there and supporting them!

Sometimes things just catch your eye. At the 19/20 second mark of the game highlights, posted previously by 32, Wickersham is met at the goal line by a defender and knocks him back 2 or 3 feet airborne for our first TD. He seems like a old school fullback, but with an arm.

That play is worth the watch.

Sometimes things just catch your eye. At the 19/20 second mark of the game highlights, posted previously by 32, Wickersham is met at the goal line by a defender and knocks him back 2 or 3 feet airborne for our first TD. He seems like a old school fullback, but with an arm.

That play is worth the watch.

Wickersham is a clone of his QB coach and his playing days at Chatty.Coleman ain’t too shabby either just needs seasoning.Having 2 very good QBs is a great problem to have.

Couple observations from yesterday. Great execution by Trusler on the fake punt and as much as many criticize Russ kudos to him as Special Teams coach for these plays as the one yesterday and early against Campbell were each huge momentum changers. The trick plays were there again yesterday with the throwback pass to Wickersham and even a pass to Ryan Coll. Loved the drag route with Savon to get the last touchdown in first half. Great scheme and play call to go up three TDs going into half. Also loved the rollout by Kyle and flick to TE, Connor Deveney for touchdown on a great read. Short yardage package was also impressive yesterday as mentioned in earlier post. This team has become a nightmare for opposing defenses to plan for with so many wrinkles now being utilized. Also great to see Jasiah back on the field to go with Jerry Garcia and Quanye Veney at the slot position. We still will need to get the ball in Nick DeGennaro's hands more and I think we will next week. That WR group is extremely deep at this point. Great catch also by Ja'Vion Griffin yesterday. I know I am leaving out the defense but solid as usual and created a great pass rush with limited blitzes yesterday. That defense will again need to carry us Saturday and I think they will definitely be ready.

Couple observations from yesterday. Great execution by Trusler on the fake punt and as much as many criticize Russ kudos to him as Special Teams coach for these plays as the one yesterday and early against Campbell were each huge momentum changers. The trick plays were there again yesterday with the throwback pass to Wickersham and even a pass to Ryan Coll. Loved the drag route with Savon to get the last touchdown in first half. Great scheme and play call to go up three TDs going into half. Also loved the rollout by Kyle and flick to TE, Connor Deveney for touchdown on a great read. Short yardage package was also impressive yesterday as mentioned in earlier post. This team has become a nightmare for opposing defenses to plan for with so many wrinkles now being utilized. Also great to see Jasiah back on the field to go with Jerry Garcia and Quanye Veney at the slot position. We still will need to get the ball in Nick DeGennaro's hands more and I think we will next week. That WR group is extremely deep at this point. Great catch also by Ja'Vion Griffin yesterday. I know I am leaving out the defense but solid as usual and created a great pass rush with limited blitzes yesterday. That defense will again need to carry us Saturday and I think they will definitely be ready.
eleven different players caught a pass...that's impressive!

Go Spiders!

Jim Reid, who was interviewed on the radio broadcast during the 2nd quarter of the game, stated that October was just owning Elon and could do whatever he wanted.
It was impressive but it seemed we once again took our foot off the accelerator in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT