ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Baseball

Really shouldn't come down to our final ups against a team that was 2–29 coming into the day.

Reactions: urfan1
That's baseball. Even the all-time worst team in modern MLB history won 40 games.

These Bonnies would love to have the '62 Mets' winning percentage.

Spiders finish off the sweep, 8–4.

Back home to face VMI on Tuesday, and then Mason comes to down next weekend.

Just looked to check the score, that must have been one early game. At least we'll get home early after a nice bus ride through rural Pennsylvania.

Another classic today losing to vmi 19-6. Vmi had only won 13 games prior to today.

May 24–28 might be available if we don't win enough games to qualify for the A-10 tourney. We're two games out of 7th place with 9 games to play.

(And be careful what we wish for...Bona just pasted a Niagara team that had righted its own ship and won six straight coming in. 12–2 Bonnies win.)

Big 13–5 win in the opener against GMU, who currently sit in the final qualifying spot for the tournament. Still a game back of them though with UMass sandwiched between, so we have to win this series.

We are tied for 7th in the A-10. Not sure how many teams make the tournament but we don't have a lot of wiggle room. At Dayton this weekend, then home with URI.

7th. Hell of an accomplishment in a weak league from a once proud program. What about getting serious and funding max allowed scholarships? The cost is a rounding error in our school's financials. Get serious.

Spiders salvage the final game in the Dayton series. They're going to need some help in the final weekend to qualify for the A-10 tournament. Currently tied with Dayton in 8th, but the Flyers have the tiebreaker. Spiders finish up hosting third-place Rhode Island, while the Flyers are at fourth-place SLU.

Spiders and Flyers are a half-game behind St. Joe's for the final tournament spot. The Hawks will end up short a game as they had a rainout, and they finish up against cellar-dweller Bona, so they definitely have the inside track on the last spot.

Is this the most we aspire to? Hoping we slide into the A10 Tourney? Fund all NCAA allowable scholarships. Get serious about baseball.
Still remember listening to AM radio when we beat Wake in the regionals and gave Nebraska all they could handle that magical 2001 season and thinking it would be the norm. Only one NCAA appearance since then which was the following season. Hard to gauge Woodson when you won't even give him lights or a full allotment of scholarships. Needless to say the program is absolutely rudderless but I don't have the answers save throwing large sums of cash at the program which isnt happening.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I must have miscalculated or something after last weekend's games. The A-10 standings site page is really bad because it's littered with errors...missing games, duplicated games, etc.

Anyway, we're not out of it yet. We're tied with Fordham a half-game behind Dayton for the final spot.

The first Dayton–SLU game was suspended last night in the 6th with the Flyers down 8–3, so if that result holds, it'd be a three-way tie for the final tournament spot with us, Dayton, and Fordham at 9–13 heading into the final two games.

(In addition to completing last night's game, Dayton and SLU also playing a doubleheader today because of predicted bad weather on Saturday...that's a lot of baseball for those two teams today.)

I'm not going to try to figure out all of the possible scenarios because I don't know the tiebreaker rules. I assume head-to-head is first, but we lost to Dayton and didn't play Fordham, so maybe then it need to go to record against highest common opponent or something. I also don't know how a three-way tie might be broken. And UMass and GW are only a game behind us and Fordham, so they might be able to factor in as well. So, yeah...it's still a mess.

So I just turned it on and the pitcher gives up back to back dingers and then hits a batter. We're up 15-9 but was 15-3 short time ago. Our pitching is the absolute worst I've seen in 54 years of playing and watching Spider baseball.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
How many winning records have we had in A-10 play in the past 15 years? I doubt it's been more than 4 or 5, and that might be generous. Davidson won the league, so I guess our built-in excuse that we can't get kids to come when they have to pay something for tuition doesn't hold much water, unless we aren't giving as many scholies as they are. It would be nice to be relevant here again at some point. I'm a baseball fan first and foremost, and I don't even pay attention to our team.

Over the last 15 seasons, we've had 7 winning A-10 seasons, 7 losing ones, and the 2020 washout. Overall A-10 record over that period is 160–173 if I've added correctly.

2022: 10–13 (1 to go)
2021: 5–11
2020: 0–0
2019: 13–8
2018: 15–9
2017: 6–17
2016: 11–13
2015: 15–9
2014: 13–12
2013: 13–11
2012: 14–10
2011: 13–11
2010: 11–17
2009: 11–16
2008: 10–16
----------
2007: 18–9
2006: 12–15
2005: 12–12
2004: 17–7
2003: 19–4
2002: 22–2

Spiders control their own destiny…win today and they’re in to face 2-seed VCU.

Not sure if they’re automatically out with a loss, but I suspect any tiebreakers would end up going against them no matter who else is involved.

Spiders control their own destiny…win today and they’re in to face 2-seed VCU.

Not sure if they’re automatically out with a loss, but I suspect any tiebreakers would end up going against them no matter who else is involved.

Just win!

Spiders made VCU sweat by plating three in the 9th, but it wasn't enough and UR goes down, 4–3.

Into the losers' bracket to face 4-seed URI tomorrow night at 7.

One down! Next up is 5-seed Mason tomorrow at 1:30. If the Spiders can win that one, they'll turn right around and play the survivor of SLU/SJU.

Jeremey Neff threw for 7.0 innings and 118 pitches

WEIRATHER and Neff gonna have rag arms as we try to go deeper through the loser bracket.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT