ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

i am grateful for Spider Dad’s insight on the team, his son included. He is able to see more practices and hear about them more than most of us. He is a proud father and yet I find him very honest, forthcoming and yet willing to defend his son and the team with a fair assessment. Thank you SpiderDad for joining this truly diverse group of super Spider fans.

“We can’t be afraid to post things…”

are you being serious. Y/N?
Yes. I am being serious. I am always serious with my posts on here.
I don't think anyone on here should be hesitant with their opinion about a player just because a player's dad is on here. Just my opinion. If you disagree, fine.

What’s wrong with you (besides purposely being inflammatory)?

Have you watched one game of his before college? We had a point guard in Gilyard that essentially played the entire game so why would you slot him in as a PG at Richmond?

And if you watched him play at Richmond you’d notice he has a smoothness to his game and ball handling that looks like a PG.
So if Gilyard, when did you see him handling the ball and being smooth at the point guard position? Doesn’t make sense to me! But if you guys think he’s a point guard, I trust you.

The kid played point guard in high school and was recruited by Wake Forest to play the position. Why are we debating this? Maybe he doesn’t end up playing PG but it’s not debatable that he can play the position.
I think some people might be unsure about Dji as a PG because he did not play PG last year, and there are not a lot of high school highlights of him out there. I think the Wake Forest offer is irrelevant, and it's not like he had other power school offers.
Power schools offer and accept kids every year who never see the floor, so to me, a Wake offer is not a tell about what Dji will do for us. Don't forget, Sal had offers from Minnesota and Seton Hall and Wilson had offers from Georgetown and DePaul. Dji just doesn't have the PG hype that Nelson does. Sure, he can prove some wrong on here and be a successful PG for us, but I understand why some might be a little unsure about him. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
What’s wrong with you (besides purposely being inflammatory)?

Have you watched one game of his before college? We had a point guard in Gilyard that essentially played the entire game so why would you slot him in as a PG at Richmond?

And if you watched him play at Richmond you’d notice he has a smoothness to his game and ball handling that looks like a PG.
This is what I don't get. A "smoothness to his game and ball handling". How would you know based on 191 minutes in 2 years? He rarely handled the ball for us, and had 5 assists with 12 turnovers in those 191 minutes. I have never seen someone who played so little his 1st 2 years get so much love on here. And, before you and everyone get on me for this reply, take a look at your "what's wrong with you" reply. All because he has an opinion that might differ from yours?

So if Gilyard, when did you see him handling the ball and being smooth at the point guard position? Doesn’t make sense to me! But if you guys think he’s a point guard, I trust you.
Simple answer - he always played point pre college, excelled at it, had an ACC offer at it, and Mooney recruited him as such, Don't understand the mystery. He IS a point that is big enough to play other positions as well when match ups dictate.

Just for the record…Dji was signed to Wake and had to be released from Wake to become a Spider.

Reactions: urfan1
This is what I don't get. A "smoothness to his game and ball handling". How would you know based on 191 minutes in 2 years? He rarely handled the ball for us, and had 5 assists with 12 turnovers in those 191 minutes. I have never seen someone who played so little his 1st 2 years get so much love on here. And, before you and everyone get on me for this reply, take a look at your "what's wrong with you" reply. All because he has an opinion that might differ from yours?
Maybe get out of the stat sheet and actually watch some basketball 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hope Nelson is great but he's got 191 less minutes on the floor than Dji. Let them settle it at practice.

Maybe get out of the stat sheet and actually watch some basketball 🤷🏼‍♂️
I have seen a lot of basketball. Sorry, but stats do matter at some point. You are always like " don't worry about Dji having 0 3s, just watch the game. Don't worry about shooting, don't worry about Dji's assists to turnover ratio, just watch the tape.....well, at some point the stats don't lie.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of basketball. Sorry, but stats do matter at some point. You are always like " don't worry about Dji having 0 3s, just watch the tape. Don't worry about shooting, don't worry about Dji's assists to turnover ratio, just watch the tape.....well, at some point the stats don't lie.
Yep 0-5 in 25 games that’s a lot 🙄 12 TOs 25 games 🥱 I get it now about why some treat you the way they do on here…You are like the guy who talks about the players then runs to take the pic with them and tells them you love them. Until you have a kid that plays D1 and you have extensive exp in high level bball just ignore me bc I’m going to do the same for you from here on out.

i am grateful for Spider Dad’s insight on the team, his son included. He is able to see more practices and hear about them more than most of us. He is a proud father and yet I find him very honest, forthcoming and yet willing to defend his son and the team with a fair assessment. Thank you SpiderDad for joining this truly diverse group of super Spider fans.
🙏🏼🙏🏼❤️

I find it funny how anything that helps advance your point is relevant and anything that hurts your case is deemed irrelevant.
Not true. I just feel like people on here are posting a certain way because a player's dad is on here. Just my opinion, but no other player who has played so little has ever gotten so much love on here. And, SDad used to not be so biased, but the past month he has been nothing but biased. And, if I were talking like this about Randolph, Noyes, Dread, or Walz, no one would care or say anything negative to me. But, because I am unsure about a player whose dad is on here, all heck breaks loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
What gives this board the assumption that Dji is a POINT GUARD other than the fact that Spiderdad is saying so? What clips/tape have you seen in the last two years that makes you all think this?
Is Goose a point guard, b/c his freshman year he ACTUALLY started at point guard for UR for a couple games and dished out 11 assists in ONE game. Anybody claiming he’s a point guard? No. So what’re you guys watching that makes you believe he’s a POINT GUARD?
Are you seriously asserting that the guys dad doesn’t know what position he played/plays?

I guess it’s your prerogative to continue your assault but you look like a boob.

Are you seriously asserting that the guys dad doesn’t know what position he played/plays?

I guess it’s your prerogative to continue your assault but you look like a boob.
parents opinions are not the coaches opinions, no matter how much you want them to be.

Here is a 3 year old article that can’t count to 10 FWIW…

Shakeel Moore is #1 on this list and wasn’t the point guard for his team… grow up! High school does not matter.

Seems that SpiderDad75 and 4700 may both have valid perspectives on this issue.

SpderDad75 certainly knows his son, has seen him play more than anyone, has access to practices, coaches, etc, clearly some inside scoop. AND, he is optimistic (and biased) regarding his son. Of course he is, those of us who have children or grandchildren involved in sports are exactly the same.

4700 is correct that Bailey doesn't have impressive college stats in his first 2-years.

May be wise to leave it at that and see what happens this season.

Seems that SpiderDad75 and 4700 may both have valid perspectives on this issue.

SpderDad75 certainly knows his son, has seen him play more than anyone, has access to practices, coaches, etc, clearly some inside scoop. AND, he is optimistic (and biased) regarding his son. Of course he is, those of us who have children or grandchildren involved in sports are exactly the same.

4700 is correct that Bailey doesn't have impressive college stats in his first 2-years.

May be wise to leave it at that and see what happens this season.
The debate isn’t whether Dji or Nelson should start at Pg or even the skill level of either player. It’s whether Dji “is a point guard” which is a bizarre question given who would know better than his dad and that he’s played the position for most of his life. I thought KE summarized it well:

“Simple answer - he always played point pre college, excelled at it, had an ACC offer at it, and Mooney recruited him as such, Don't understand the mystery. He IS a point that is big enough to play other positions as well when match ups dictate.”

Despite not the question at hand, I personally think Dji has a tremendous amount of upside. I know VT watches every game yet has spent the last day arguing with stats against Dji’s skills, which is ridiculous given he knows Dji has never been given a real chance. Anybody that watches the game like many of us have seen examples of players that look like they can ball but have had limited opportunities and then shine in their junior and senior years. I think Bailey is the player that most fits this bill here and I’m excited to see him hopefully get a real chance to recognize his potential and help our team.

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing holding Dji back the last 2 years are playing behind super seniors and injury. Really hoping he can stay healthy this year. If so I think he can have a positive impact.
I have always been a guy that believes in "position basketball" for lack of better term. But in Dji's case I think he is better off focusing on getting on the court and staying on the court at any position. From the eye test, he is long and athletic and can have an impact on many facets of the game, despite the numbers and lack of opportunities first two years.
If Nelson is getting bulk of pg minutes then be good enough to play minutes at 2 and 3. It will help if he can shoot 33+ from 3. But if Nelson can shoot it, if he or Goose playing in lineup with Roche, Burton and Bigelow maybe doesn't need to.

And we are still barely talking about Randolph, Crab, Noyes and dread.

I think the biggest thing holding Dji back the last 2 years are playing behind super seniors and injury. Really hoping he can stay healthy this year. If so I think he can have a positive impact.
I have always been a guy that believes in "position basketball" for lack of better term. But in Dji's case I think he is better off focusing on getting on the court and staying on the court at any position. From the eye test, he is long and athletic and can have an impact on many facets of the game, despite the numbers and lack of opportunities first two years.
If Nelson is getting bulk of pg minutes then be good enough to play minutes at 2 and 3. It will help if he can shoot 33+ from 3. But if Nelson can shoot it, if he or Goose playing in lineup with Roche, Burton and Bigelow maybe doesn't need to.

And we are still barely talking about Randolph, Crab, Noyes and dread.
Well said…

I have said I look forward to seeing what Dji can do for us, and I still feel that way. I have said he is talented and still feel this way. I just don't know if there are a lot of minutes out there for him unless he beats out Nelson. In my opinion, he won't beat out Nelson, and he is behind several guys at non PG, so his minutes will be backing up Nelson if he earns them there.

Have I seen the practices? No. Could I be wrong? Yes. This is just my opinion based some on what I have seen from Dji, based some on what I have seen from others, yes, based some on stats, and even based some on what SDad has said. SDad has talked about Dji being good at multiple things, but needing to be great at something. That is not always a positive to me. He has also talked about 3s, shooting, and scoring not being a tell all. This tells me maybe we shouldn't expect many 3s from Dji, and maybe not expect much scoring as well. And, being good but not great at things to me means you will be behind a better PG and behind better non PGs. Okay, that is fine, and there is a need for defense and other things, but I'm not sure all of that or lack of that equals a lot of minutes with our roster right now.

I want to say that Soiderdad deserves a lot of credit for putting up with folks who have to have the last word and have to be right. Personally I am getting a little worn out watching a debate over whether or not Dji is a point guard. It detracts from my interest in checking in on board activity. I look forward to the football and basketball seasons.

Yep 0-5 in 25 games that’s a lot 🙄 12 TOs 25 games 🥱 I get it now about why some treat you the way they do on here…You are like the guy who talks about the players then runs to take the pic with them and tells them you love them. Until you have a kid that plays D1 and you have extensive exp in high level bball just ignore me bc I’m going to do the same for you from here on out.
Actually, 0-9 from 3 in 25 games. And, the 9 part in the 0-9 from 3 in 25 games concerns me just as much as the 0 part. So, I guess we shouldn't expect 3s from Dji, and if a PG can't shoot the 3, teams can play off of him, making things more difficult for everyone else. The 12 turnovers in 25 games sounds good until you look at the minutes played and look at the important assist to turnover ratio..5 assists to 12 turnovers. I understand there is a lot more to the game than stats, but I want and need a good assist to turnover ratio from my PG, and I want some potential for some 3s for all of my guards. Is there a chance these numbers could get better? Of course..But, right now, it is what it is.

As for the "until you have a kid......" comment? You have no clue who I am and who my kids are. None. You don't know my history in this sport. I have chosen that route, and you have chosen the put it all out there route. It is our choice so no worries there.

Before everyone gets all bothered by this post, ask yourself if it would bother you if I said the exact same things about Randolph or Dread. In other words, if SDad weren't on here, would my comments really be that controversial and worthy of angry replies?

Starting for next year's team with our broad depth of talent will require elite division one basketball skills. I think we can all agree that if Dji ends up starting, regardless of position, we would all be very happy, because he will have proved he is the best player for that position.

Not true. I just feel like people on here are posting a certain way because a player's dad is on here. Just my opinion, but no other player who has played so little has ever gotten so much love on here. And, SDad used to not be so biased, but the past month he has been nothing but biased. And, if I were talking like this about Randolph, Noyes, Dread, or Walz, no one would care or say anything negative to me. But, because I am unsure about a player whose dad is on here, all heck breaks loose.
Never a good look to rag on the players.

I think this could be the most fascinating season in the a long time with so many scenarios on who plays or not. I count 13 players who could be part of the regular rotation by A10 play or later. I include Noles from his college offers and on the fringe with Walz watching his HS vid against a player a foot smaller that without a Grace or Quinn injury see him learning from the bench. Though how many Grace fouls if 25/25+ minutes played?

Just think before even last season started on back of most poster minds was who's left for 22-23 play except Burton? Thanks to Mooney he's still here! I see this season as Mooney's greatest opportunity to either put to rest his lack of quality coaching with deserving to be the Spider coach well into the future. I won't get on him unless a dreadful year and impossible for me presently to say W-L record is dreadful not knowing exactly how much player quality he has at his disposable.

I for one haven't been the fan of him continuing as coach but could this season be like a second wind for him? Okay can say a few great years and then too many years of inadequatecy. The guy is only what 50, so still plenty of coaching time in him be it here or somewhere else.

I give Mooney a thumbs up on positional need based transfers gotten this year. Time will tell if good enough but at least Mooney can pencil in 1 if not 2 for every position. Mooney not only has the 13 players to use but also the vast amount of options of which 5 see the court together along with what variable position they can play at? Inerchangeable parts indeed. IMO this would be a tall order for even the best of coaches though being most successful at it I guess makes them great. Not giving any thought to it now but can't wait to see how it plays out.

One change in Mooney's coaching strategy I would like to see is giving more minutes doing OOC play for players 6-11 and could be 6-13 though by season's start might know only 6-11 are good enough. Reason below especially for this season. Yes he had a known 5/6 last season to start but prior years most here complained about where's the bench during OOC play?

For me going into the start of the year I see the way to get a bid at 90-95% A10 tourney title and 5/10% at-large. IMO prepare to get the A10 title as the priority. Injuries we know happen. We also know opposing coaches will be focusing on stopping Burton. And after Tyler be nice if Mooney had 5-6 trusted players of concern to throw at them. Maybe/probably expecting too much? Like I stated a fascinating year and by reading majority of posts lots of interest/anticipation. What a NCAA bid (no matter how received) can do for a fan base. GO SPIDERS!

no other player who has played so little has ever gotten so much love on here
Who is giving him so much love? Almost everyone on here has said they think Nelson will start and Dji will back him up.

I think the biggest thing most would like to see is a truly open competition at the point. If Nelson is clearly better, the spot is his.

I'm excited to see what transpires this fall.

I think this could be the most fascinating season in the a long time with so many scenarios on who plays or not. I count 13 players who could be part of the regular rotation by A10 play or later. I include Noles from his college offers and on the fringe with Walz watching his HS vid against a player a foot smaller that without a Grace or Quinn injury see him learning from the bench. Though how many Grace fouls if 25/25+ minutes played?

Just think before even last season started on back of most poster minds was who's left for 22-23 play except Burton? Thanks to Mooney he's still here! I see this season as Mooney's greatest opportunity to either put to rest his lack of quality coaching with deserving to be the Spider coach well into the future. I won't get on him unless a dreadful year and impossible for me presently to say W-L record is dreadful not knowing exactly how much player quality he has at his disposable.

I for one haven't been the fan of him continuing as coach but could this season be like a second wind for him? Okay can say a few great years and then too many years of inadequatecy. The guy is only what 50, so still plenty of coaching time in him be it here or somewhere else.

I give Mooney a thumbs up on positional need based transfers gotten this year. Time will tell if good enough but at least Mooney can pencil in 1 if not 2 for every position. Mooney not only has the 13 players to use but also the vast amount of options of which 5 see the court together along with what variable position they can play at? Inerchangeable parts indeed. IMO this would be a tall order for even the best of coaches though being most successful at it I guess makes them great. Not giving any thought to it now but can't wait to see how it plays out.

One change in Mooney's coaching strategy I would like to see is giving more minutes doing OOC play for players 6-11 and could be 6-13 though by season's start might know only 6-11 are good enough. Reason below especially for this season. Yes he had a known 5/6 last season to start but prior years most here complained about where's the bench during OOC play?

For me going into the start of the year I see the way to get a bid at 90-95% A10 tourney title and 5/10% at-large. IMO prepare to get the A10 title as the priority. Injuries we know happen. We also know opposing coaches will be focusing on stopping Burton. And after Tyler be nice if Mooney had 5-6 trusted players of concern to throw at them. Maybe/probably expecting too much? Like I stated a fascinating year and by reading majority of posts lots of interest/anticipation. What a NCAA bid (no matter how received) can do for a fan base. GO SPIDERS!
Great post. Well stated.

for one thing, I'd be freaking out if I didn't think Dji could play the point. why the heck wouldn't we have added a point this past offseason with Gilly graduating if we didn't have a viable PG besides Nelson on the roster? the answer is we would have. you get 13 scholarships. you don't go with just one PG.

I get that some think Goose can play there. maybe he can. but I haven't see it in 4 years. maybe that's the way Mooney will keep Goose on the floor though. if Roche's shooting is needed and Goose's defense is needed, you could try it. I just don't think he has the handle or vision. can he help bring the ball up the court? sure. but that's a really low bar requirement for a real PG.

to me, if you think Goose can play point than you probably think any guard can. I'm just not that big a believer in the positionless thing. I like a PG on the floor.

for one thing, I'd be freaking out if I didn't think Dji could play the point. why the heck wouldn't we have added a point this past offseason with Gilly graduating if we didn't have a viable PG besides Nelson on the roster? the answer is we would have. you get 13 scholarships. you don't go with just one PG.

I get that some think Goose can play there. maybe he can. but I haven't see it in 4 years. maybe that's the way Mooney will keep Goose on the floor though. if Roche's shooting is needed and Goose's defense is needed, you could try it. I just don't think he has the handle or vision. can he help bring the ball up the court? sure. but that's a really low bar requirement for a real PG.

to me, if you think Goose can play point than you probably think any guard can. I'm just not that big a believer in the positionless thing. I like a PG on the floor.
Great points Sman...the more I've seen and more I think, if we can get back on topic. I like these guys on the floor at the same time(doesn't mean it is going to happen but what I like) - Jason, Dji, and Roche because you have two guys who can create and a sniper in Roche. Will we see that...maybe maybe not. If Crab can remain healthy I think he is another that gives us another weapon at 3 along with TB. Bigelow can also shoot it & rebound and is a great athlete. We have some interchangeable parts at the 2/3 where we could have 3 guards on court sometimes.
This thread was started to see what lineups we "would like" to see, not start, not what postion people think a player is, not whose going to play more, I wanted to see what people liked in their own personal lineups. We got that for the most part with exception of a few. I'm not interested in hey that won't work or I don't know about that lineup. Just wanted to see who guys liked and what could be our potential record.

Great points Sman...the more I've seen and more I think, if we can get back on topic. I like these guys on the floor at the same time(doesn't mean it is going to happen but what I like) - Jason, Dji, and Roche because you have two guys who can create and a sniper in Roche. Will we see that...maybe maybe not. If Crab can remain healthy I think he is another that gives us another weapon at 3 along with TB. Bigelow can also shoot it & rebound and is a great athlete. We have some interchangeable parts at the 2/3 where we could have 3 guards on court sometimes.
This thread was started to see what lineups we "would like" to see, not start, not what postion people think a player is, not whose going to play more, I wanted to see what people liked in their own personal lineups. We got that for the most part with exception of a few. I'm not interested in hey that won't work or I don't know about that lineup. Just wanted to see who guys liked and what could be our potential record.
I must be the only person who thinks the players we have, have the potential for successful season. Go Spiders 🕷

I must be the only person who thinks the players we have, have the potential for successful season. Go Spiders 🕷
I do too coach...my lineup that I like doesn't mean the others won't be successful. Just is what I would like to see ✊ 😀

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT