ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

My response was to you insinuating that he wasn’t able too. Also didn’t say he would do this regularly, just that he’s worked on it and is something he can do. Why not take advantage of a big guard who can present mismatches? He’s nothing like Nick at least the Nick that I saw. Didn’t see the old Nick pre injury. I think we all know you would rather every one take the 3 and guess what…if Dji get someone posted and they bring help…there is a kick out for….a 3 😀. The one thing I will always stick to is Dji will always make the right basketball play even to his own detriment, count on it. JayNel and Dji getting paint touches and are playmaking, our 3pt opportunities will certainly be there.
The offense is predicated on forcing a double team in the post VTech!.. whether it's a center, forward or guard if you can force a double team the three is open or more lanes to attack

My response was to you insinuating that he wasn’t able too. Also didn’t say he would do this regularly, just that he’s worked on it and is something he can do. Why not take advantage of a big guard who can present mismatches? He’s nothing like Nick at least the Nick that I saw. Didn’t see the old Nick pre injury. I think we all know you would rather every one take the 3 and guess what…if Dji get someone posted and they bring help…there is a kick out for….a 3 😀. The one thing I will always stick to is Dji will always make the right basketball play even to his own detriment, count on it. JayNel and Dji getting paint touches and are playmaking, our 3pt opportunities will certainly be there.
I just hope that’s enough play making because lost a lot of those paint touches!!

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I don't need everyone taking the 3. That was someone else who posted that. But, it is beneficial to have at least 3, if not 4, guys out there together who can knock it down.

Nick pre injury was a special player. He could score in the paint and from 3. He had an incredible 2nd half to his sophomore year, scoring 32, 28, 26, and 25, along 18 or more in several other games down the stretch. He also had some big rebounding games.

The offense is predicated on forcing a double team in the post VTech!.. whether it's a center, forward or guard if you can force a double team the three is open or more lanes to attack
Well, yes, but your player would need to consistently beat his man 1 on 1 to force the doubles. So, are we saying Dji is one of the most special guards we have ever had here, who can just beat his guy all game, because I don't remember many of our other ones posting guys up that often? We will see. Hey, if it makes us better, I am all for it. And, the VT is not for VA Tech, but whatever.

Well, yes, but your player would need to consistently beat his man 1 on 1 to force the doubles. So, are we saying Dji is one of the most special guards we have ever had here, who can just beat his guy all game, because I don't remember many of our other ones posting guys up that often? We will see. Hey, if it makes us better, I am all for it. And, the VT is not for VA Tech, but whatever.
No one is saying that 🤦🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Spiderwiz
Well, what are they saying then? Why would we bother posting guards up if they can't beat their guy one-on-one? And if they can, then any smart defense can counter that with the right double and defensive rotations. There is a reason why we don't see a lot of guards posting guys up. I just can't even believe this is turning into some kind of major debate here.

Well, what are they saying then? Why would we bother posting guards up if they can't beat their guy one-on-one? And if they can, then any smart defense can counter that with the right double and defensive rotations. There is a reason why we don't see a lot of guards posting guys up. I just can't even believe this is turning into some kind of major debate here.
This doesnt make sense

Dude…are you always looking for an argument? This is why I’m not going to elaborate on “there being surprises” I made a simple statement about what a player can do and now you’ve taken it to another level. There is no winning with you. 🤦🏼‍♂️😩

Well, what doesn't make sense to me is some on here are making Dji out to be Terry Allen or Nate Cayo, who were taller, bigger, and took about 3 years before they were solid at posting guys up down low. And, more often than not, even they did not draw double teams. But, hey, we will see. If it works, I am all for it, and again, let me say I would say the same thing about Goose or Roche, or many others on our team.

Dude…are you always looking for an argument? This is why I’m not going to elaborate on “there being surprises” I made a simple statement about what a player can do and now you’ve taken it to another level. There is no winning with you. 🤦🏼‍♂️😩
Cmon man. Why am I not allowed to disagree with a poster who compared Dji to Nick without being accused of anything? No, I am not looking for an argument, but I should have known what I said would lead to one. Of course, it wouldn't if I said it about other players, but whatever.

VT, you seem to have an axe to grind over Dji. Go out of your way repeatedly to downplay his abilities.

Hey, he hasn't played enough for us fans to really know...you, nor me, nor others on the board. Not puffing him up or denigrating his abilities. He will speak for himself in time.

Until then, let's back off. It is just unseemly to keep minimizing him.

Dude, you've made it a debate...I simply said Dji could post up guys and that he had been working on it. Not that he was the 2nd coming of anyone or is some special player and greatest we've ever had. Man you should be a college basketball coach bc it seems you have it all figured out. Like KE said...his abilities will speak once given the opportunity.

VT, you seem to have an axe to grind over Dji. Go out of your way repeatedly to downplay his abilities.

Hey, he hasn't played enough for us fans to really know...you, nor me, nor others on the board. Not puffing him up or denigrating his abilities. He will speak for himself in time.

Well said✊

Well, what doesn't make sense to me is some on here are making Dji out to be Terry Allen or Nate Cayo, who were taller, bigger, and took about 3 years before they were solid at posting guys up down low. And, more often than not, even they did not draw double teams. But, hey, we will see. If it works, I am all for it, and again, let me say I would say the same thing about Goose or Roche, or many others on our team.
Wow... Again, no sense... The players you mentioned weren't even guards

Not at all. I have always said I look forward to watching Dji get more time this year. I have called him talented. I just speak my opinion, which should be allowed on here, but if I say I don't think Dji can or will do a certain thing, all heck breaks loose on here. What I say is no different than what others might say about other players, but I guess the rule is we must always agree with any positive comments about Dji. Anyone else is obvioulsy fair game because we have seen a lot of our players get some major criticism on here, and no posters who did that ever got the replies I got. And, I just reread my latest posts and, sorry, but I see nothing at all wrong with what I said and how I said it.

Wow... Again, no sense... The players you mentioned weren't even guards
Uh....okay. So, now we are playing the position game I guess. So, we get to tell the other team who has to guard Dji down low, or can they pick their guy? This is unbelievable. Fine. I will agree. Let's post up Dji because the other teams will have no answer for him. Is that how I should say it?

Dude, you've made it a debate...I simply said Dji could post up guys and that he had been working on it. Not that he was the 2nd coming of anyone or is some special player and greatest we've ever had. Man you should be a college basketball coach bc it seems you have it all figured out. Like KE said...his abilities will speak once given the opportunity.
Yes, and I responded to what you posted by saying sounds good, and then I explained my thinking without attacking anyone. I read it again, and see nothing wrong with what I said and how I said it. And, what is wrong with making something a debate on a message board? I said it was crazy to me that this turned into a major debate, but I think your comment right there about my making it a debate sums up the problem here. So, I guess with Dji, we can't have a debate. We must agree. With other players, sure, but not with Dji.

VT, longtime said Dji could post up like Nick did some. You turned it into a debate. Yes, you’ve said you think Dji will be good and you look forward to seeing him. But whenever I or anyone else inserts Dji you immediately throw out something negative. Curious…but don’t really care tbh but what do you think Dji can do well? I’m going always be positive about him but he’s by no means the greatest player to step on campus. He’s unproven as are a lot of our guys this season.

Yes, and I responded to what you posted by saying sounds good, and then I explained my thinking without attacking anyone. I read it again, and see nothing wrong with what I said and how I said it. And, what is wrong with making something a debate on a message board? I think your comment right there sums up the problem here. With Dji, we can't have a debate. We must agree. With other players, sure, but not with Dji.
I didn’t say you can’t debate…I made a statement and you immediately turn into a “who’s he posting up” as KE said…you discredit at every chance. That’s cool. It doesn’t bother me that you want to debate but it will be nice to see if and when you have to eat crow on somethings this season and not all with Dji but on some of your other assessments. Just don’t go ghost on us this season. If Dji is not playing up to his potential I will be the 1st to say it but you seem to want to discredit at every chance. By your logic, I’m surprised he was even awarded a scholarship, seeing that he can’t do any of the things you think are worthy, unless he was a 45% 3 pt sniper.

VT, longtime said Dji could post up like Nick did some. You turned it into a debate. Yes, you’ve said you think Dji will be good and you look forward to seeing him. But whenever I or anyone else inserts Dji you immediately throw out something negative. Curious…but don’t really care tbh but what do you think Dji can do well? I’m going always be positive about him but he’s by no means the greatest player to step on campus. He’s unproven as are a lot of our guys this season.
Okay, so I turned it into a debate by mentioning their size and basically saying I don't think he will post up guys like Nick did. So, what is wrong with that? On a message board? Why can't this be a debate? People disagree all the time on message boards and a debate usually follows. Doesn't have to be a major debate, though. I don't see why it can't be a good back and forth debate. To me, saying I don't think someone will post up is not negative. I mean, that is all we are talking about here. I just don't see it happening much. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I see nothing wrong with having that opinion.

I think he can play the point well. His defense should be above average. He has quickness, length and size. My guess is he has a real good basketball IQ. Without seeing him much so far, this is what my best guess would be about his game. Obviously, you know way way way more than me about him, but as a fan of our players and team, this is my thinking right now.

Last edited:
Okay, so I turned it into a debate by mentioning their size and basically saying I don't think he will post up guys like Nick did. So, what is wrong with that? On a message board? Why can't this be a debate? People disagree all the time on message boards and a debate usually follows. Doesn't have to be a major debate, though. I don't see why it can't be a good back and forth debate. To me, saying I don't think someone will post up is not negative. I mean, that is all we are talking about here. I just don't see it happening much. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I see nothing wrong with having that opinion.

I think he can play the point well. His defense should be above average. He has quickness, length and size. My guess is he has a real good basketball IQ. Without seeing him much so far, this is what my best guess would be about his game. Obviously, you know way way way more than me about him, but as a fan of our players and team, this is my thinking right now.
Yes you can have an opinion and think the way you would like. Please do…at the same time can’t something be just a simple statement without debate? MBs are for our opinions but geez it doesn’t have to be a debate on every single thing, not matter the players. Ex: I read it like this…I say “URs main color is Navy and I like that” and then you come back say “No it’s Red and here’s why.”

6'6" vs 6'2" on the block, with any low post skills at all, should be a bucket 65% of the time and/or forces help. you always want to force help.
It seems to me that this discussion has two different definitions of posting.

Either being 6'6" and driving, bringing a 6'2" defender with you so you can post them or kick out.

Vs backing down a 6'8" defender who is already in the post.

It seems likely that you would need 2 different style players to accomplish one vs the other...

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Good find SF, the part about the BMI or whatever measurment they use re-affirms what I see on the tape in the UR workouts vs the Lafayette highlights. Slimmed down version. Still big and strong, but this should and seems to be resulting in a little better quickness. Will be interesting to see how the 3 point shooting works out. I think if he can even just be a threat out there it opens up the passing and cutting lanes that much more - which should work out for Bigelow and Burton, not to mention all the guards. His passing seems like it should not miss a beat, and fits well with our O.

It seems to me that this discussion has two different definitions of posting.

Either being 6'6" and driving, bringing a 6'2" defender with you so you can post them or kick out.

Vs backing down a 6'8" defender who is already in the post.

It seems likely that you would need 2 different style players to accomplish one vs the other...
to me ... nothing to do with driving. you can do that at 6'6" or 5'9". doesn't matter.

I'm talking about when there's a mismatch, Dji sealing someone on the block and feeding him there. with proper spacing, you've got a skilled passer taking advantage of any double team efforts. if he doesn't have a size advantage then don't post him up there. just run the offense.

to me ... nothing to do with driving. you can do that at 6'6" or 5'9". doesn't matter.

I'm talking about when there's a mismatch, Dji sealing someone on the block and feeding him there. with proper spacing, you've got a skilled passer taking advantage of any double team efforts. if he doesn't have a size advantage then don't post him up there. just run the offense.
🎯🎯

Yes you can have an opinion and think the way you would like. Please do…at the same time can’t something be just a simple statement without debate? MBs are for our opinions but geez it doesn’t have to be a debate on every single thing, not matter the players. Ex: I read it like this…I say “URs main color is Navy and I like that” and then you come back say “No it’s Red and here’s why.”
Well, I guess something could be a statement without a debate. But. who decides that? I mean, how do we know if we should reply or not? Like everyone on here, you reply to some posts and don't reply to others. So, why is it okay for you to pick and choose which ones you reply to and not me? I guess that is why we are having so much trouble with this. I feel comments on message boards could always be reply worthy. You obviously don't. But, in my opinion, don't put something out there on a message board and not expect the possibility of a reply in return. That seems a little arrogant to me, like saying "my opinion is so spot on no one should counter it".

But, the funny thing is this probably would have been a 3 post topic had you not replied. The poster mentioned Nick and Dji posting up. I disagreed, the poster replied and that could have been it. So, couldn't I ask you the same thing you are asking me? Why reply there? As for your example, if you throw out an opinion about a color, how could you not expect some replies on a message board?

6'6" vs 6'2" on the block, with any low post skills at all, should be a bucket 65% of the time and/or forces help. you always want to force help.
So, why do you think teams did not post up Jacob much at all? Sounds like you think they should have done this every trip? We pretty much have always had small guards here, yet teams hardly ever posted any of them up consistently. I just don't think scoring this way is as automatic as some of you think.

I think guards posting up is really probably something that they do not work on in high school, aau, etc. More and more focus on perimeter and the three means more and more kids, especially guards not adept at posting up. I like that our staff has Dji working on that.

The guard I recall with the best post up game was David Gonzalvez. Gonzo was strong and loved to punish guards in the post.

But again, I think it is something not really worked on. So even if you have a 6'2 guard, and he sees Gilly on him, he doesn't necessarily have the skills and mindset to post him. And then you feel really stupid when they post you and the 5'7 guy steals it from you on the first move :).

91 days guys until our questions start to be answered ...there will be surprises for sure 😃. 🕷️🏀
I assume the surprise is not 29 minutes a game for Dread? and 5 for Nelson, 2 for Bailey? o_O

Torvik's prediction for the A-10

And for UR including double digit scorer Dread ???

Last edited:
I assume the surprise is not 29 minutes a game for Dread? and 5 for Nelson, 2 for Bailey? o_O

Torvik's prediction for the A-10

And for UR including double digit scorer Dread ???
😂 who does these things….

These preseason predictions are 100% computer models. The computer doesn’t know as much as us about Richmond.
I know that and agree.

But since I had just seen his prediction for Syracuse and the ACC,
I decided to check the A-10 & UR...
Haven't even looked to see roster projections for the rest of the A-10 yet, but will when I need some entertainment.

Reactions: fan2011
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT