ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

Yes you can have an opinion and think the way you would like. Please do…at the same time can’t something be just a simple statement without debate? MBs are for our opinions but geez it doesn’t have to be a debate on every single thing, not matter the players. Ex: I read it like this…I say “URs main color is Navy and I like that” and then you come back say “No it’s Red and here’s why.”
Why do you hate white so much?? White has been one of our primary colors forever! I can’t believe all the random love navy blue gets on these boards, and for what reason? It’s just a secondary backup color, and it’s boring!! I saw a ranking of colors online and navy blue came in like 12th. White is a proven commodity.

Last edited:
Why do you hate white so much?? White has been one of our primary colors forever! I can’t believe so the random love navy blue gets on these boards, and for what reason? It’s just a secondary backup color, and it’s boring!! I saw a ranking of colors like and navy blue came in like 12th. White is a proven commodity.
😂😂

So, why do you think teams did not post up Jacob much at all? Sounds like you think they should have done this every trip? We pretty much have always had small guards here, yet teams hardly ever posted any of them up consistently. I just don't think scoring this way is as automatic as some of you think.
yes, if I had a big guard with post skills being guarded by Jacob I'd have posted him up every single time down the floor.
double and I find the open guy.
make him a defensive liability instead of a defensive game changer.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
yes, if I had a big guard with post skills being guarded by Jacob I'd have posted him up every single time down the floor.
Not many guards with post up skills. Villanova is the only team that really does it. It would take most teams out of their offense, which is why people don’t do it. But we may see Dji post a few times here and there within the offense, but I’d imagine his size advantage is used more on drives and getting paint touches rather than posting up frequently.

I know that and agree.

But since I had just seen his prediction for Syracuse and the ACC,
I decided to check the A-10 & UR...
Haven't even looked to see roster projections for the rest of the A-10 yet, but will when I need some entertainment.

Good thing Bart Torvik doesn't have a message board

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Yet, in 5 years, pretty much no team out there decided to do that. And, the many years before that when we had smaller guards. Your get doubled, find the open guy strategy sounds good on paper, but it is just not that automatic. There is a defense out there trying to stop you, and they would have their strategy as well. Just keep in mind it could often be a good thing and a win for the defense if an opposing guard is spending a lot of time down low instead being a threat from 3. That, combined with what 23 said, is why you just don't see a lot of guards posting up. It's just not as easy to score out of it as you say. Otherwise, we would see it happen a whole lot more. I know Villanova was one of the few teams that has posted up guards at least a little bit, but they also had multiple special guards who could do this, which made it harder for the defense. I can't think of other teams, and I am not ready to confuse us with Villanova anytime soon.

Not many guards with post up skills. Villanova is the only team that really does it. It would take most teams out of their offense, which is why people don’t do it. But we may see Dji post a few times here and there within the offense, but I’d imagine his size advantage is used more on drives and getting paint touches rather than posting up frequently.
Yeah pretty spot on and is only reason I really said he works on it and we can take advantage in mismatches here or there, not that Dji was going wave off guys and go post every possession 😂 I think him and JayNel best assets will to be to get those paint touches and drives to create.

So, why do you think teams did not post up Jacob much at all? Sounds like you think they should have done this every trip? We pretty much have always had small guards here, yet teams hardly ever posted any of them up consistently. I just don't think scoring this way is as automatic as some of you think.
When we played match up zone, we ended up in those situations way too much. For that reason I think forced
CM to move to straight man.

Been away from the board for a week and read this thread. I learned over the course of 5 pages that Dji can/can’t post up and Neal has slimmed down.

Oh, and there was a debate about debating.

David Gonzalvez, by the end of his career, was adept at posting up and we ran it as a designed pattern to get it to him. So we have done it with success, within Mooney's offense, with a 6-4 guard.
not to mention Jacob weighed like 150.
yes, teams should have posted him up if they had the right personnel. and every big guard should be taught post moves.

Why do you hate white so much?? White has been one of our primary colors forever! I can’t believe all the random love navy blue gets on these boards, and for what reason? It’s just a secondary backup color, and it’s boring!! I saw a ranking of colors online and navy blue came in like 12th. White is a proven commodity.
I’d rather see some Powder Blue and 70s red text before another Navy alternate.

not to mention Jacob weighed like 150.
yes, teams should have posted him up if they had the right personnel. and every big guard should be taught post moves.
Every team had the right personnel by your logic. If he was 6’1 he should have posted Gilly, Blake, KA, K0, and SDJ by your logic. But it doesn’t happen because it takes teams out of their offense, and it would be teaching them post moves instead of shooting, one on one moves, etc which are probably more likely to happen.

Reactions: VT4700
David Gonzalvez, by the end of his career, was adept at posting up and we ran it as a designed pattern to get it to him. So we have done it with success, within Mooney's offense, with a 6-4 guard.
We posted Nick for two years and had some success but he was also 240 pounds and had posted up since Saint Christopher. And even that wasn’t even an every other game occurrence.
I doubt we post Dji much because I think he plays alongside Nelson, Goose, or Roche, in which I imagine the other teams bigger guard is defending him. But as SDad said he’s working on it, which means CM is thinking about it if the opportunity presents itself.

Every team had the right personnel by your logic. If he was 6’1 he should have posted Gilly, Blake, KA, K0, and SDJ by your logic. But it doesn’t happen because it takes teams out of their offense, and it would be teaching them post moves instead of shooting, one on one moves, etc which are probably more likely to happen.
Exactly. Every coach we faced the last 5 years isn't a terrible coach who for some reason did not post up Jacob. Like I said earlier, it would often be a win for the defense if you brought a guard down low a lot, especially one that is a threat from 3. I know if I were coaching against that style, I would say thank you, keep at it.

We posted Nick for two years and had some success but he was also 240 pounds and had posted up since Saint Christopher. And even that wasn’t even an every other game occurrence.
I doubt we post Dji much because I think he plays alongside Nelson, Goose, or Roche, in which I imagine the other teams bigger guard is defending him. But as SDad said he’s working on it, which means CM is thinking about it if the opportunity presents itself.
I agree, which I why I originally replied by saying Dji doesn't compare to Nick. Hopefully, you won't get hammered for this opinion like I did. But, yes, I have also said if we go to it a few times and it makes us better, I am all for it.

a D1 bigger sized PG guard should have post skills. and he probably has at least 6" and 40 lbs on Gilly. in some cases more.
I'm old and I suck, but even I'll score most of the time on the block against a guy that much smaller than me.

yes, I'm ok not running our offense when there's a mismatch like that.

a D1 bigger sized PG guard should have post skills. and he probably has at least 6" and 40 lbs on Gilly. in some cases more.
I'm old and I suck, but even I'll score most of the time on the block against a guy that much smaller than me.

So, every coach we have played against the last 5+ years knows nothing about basketball? And, now you are saying bring the PG down low? Again, if I am coaching against that, thank you because I would love it if your PG spent even a minute not being a PG.

Reactions: POMSpidur

So what do you think the reason was that it didn’t happen? Just curious. Because as I just stated we have had sub 6’0 guards for a decade now.

I think that sentence sums it up. “If the opportunity presents itself”

Last edited:
So, every coach we have played against the last 5+ years knows nothing about basketball? And, now you are saying bring the PG down low? Again, if I am coaching against that, thank you because I would love it if your PG spent even a minute not being a PG.
our PGs spend a lot of the game not as a PG. I can't remember the last time we had a ball dominant PG. the times our PG breaks someone down and creates a shot from his initial pass are really rare. our first pass just starts the motion.

and I doubt you'd love my 6'4"+ PG posting up your 5'9" 150 PG. Jacob's a great defender. but not down there he isn't.

I understand why coaches didn't do it if their PG didn't have a big size advantage. we won't have one either when Nelson is the PG. we might if Dji or Goose is in that spot. why wouldn't we take advantage?

So what do you think the reason was that it didn’t happen? Just curious. Because as I just stated we have had sub 6’0 guards for a decade now.
a lot of teams have smallish PGs. bigger than ours have been, but maybe not sustantially.
if they had a 6'4"+ PG and didn't post Jacob, then I think they missed an opportunity.

Not only that, but we haven't had a shot blocker since Garrett, also a decade.....and teams still didn't do it.

Reactions: urfan1
our PGs spend a lot of the game not as a PG. I can't remember the last time we had a ball dominant PG. the times our PG breaks someone down and creates a shot from his initial pass are really rare. our first pass just starts the motion.

and I doubt you'd love my 6'4"+ PG posting up your 5'9" 150 PG. Jacob's a great defender. but not down there he isn't.

I understand why coaches didn't do it if their PG didn't have a big size advantage. we won't have one either when Nelson is the PG. we might if Dji or Goose is in that spot. why wouldn't we take advantage?
Well, our PGs are still PGs though, guys who can get the ball late and make a play, or shoot a 3. And, Jacob broke the assist record so I think he was being a PG more than you think.

As for your 2nd paragraph???? Teams ALWAYS had a big size advantage against us. Yes, I would be fine if you posted my small PG up, and would likely force you to stop doing that after it didn't work consistently.

a lot of teams have smallish PGs. bigger than ours have been, but maybe not sustantially.
if they had a 6'4"+ PG and didn't post Jacob, then I think they missed an opportunity.
???? But, 6'2 or 6'3 isn't a big enough size advantage over Jacob for you?

Well, our PGs are still PGs though, guys who can get the ball late and make a play, or shoot a 3. And, Jacob broke the assist record so I think he was being a PG more than you think.

As for your 2nd paragraph???? Teams ALWAYS had a big size advantage against us. Yes, I would be fine if you posted my small PG up, and would likely force you to stop doing that after it didn't work consistently.
we'll never agree and that's ok. I believe a big D1 guard should dominate Jacob on the block. and if you help, that's good for me too. we freaked out whenever Jacob was forced on a switch to a bigger guy in the matchup zone. we had to change the defense.

I assume you played at some level. you don't think you'd dominate a guy on the block who's 6"-10" shorter than you and however much lighter than you?

That is one thing that was killing us for years as Mooney stuck to the match up. The match up worked well for a good period, but after awhile it always seemed Kendall Anthony would get switched on to some 6'9 giant. We have seen Mooney starting to adapt much quicker to the changing landscape, as evidenced by the transfer portal haul this year.

we'll never agree and that's ok. I believe a big D1 guard should dominate Jacob on the block. and if you help, that's good for me too. we freaked out whenever Jacob was forced on a switch to a bigger guy in the matchup zone. we had to change the defense.

I assume you played at some level. you don't think you'd dominate a guy on the block who's 6"-10" shorter than you and however much lighter than you?
6-10 inches? Geez, but anyway, if I were a college guard, no, I probably wouldn't dominate a smaller opponent down low because 99% of guards just don't do that, so I am not about to say I am or was all that. Also, why assume the guy that much shorter would always be on me? Why can't the defense mix it up and put other guys on me? We can disagree, but you really don't have an answer for why teams just don't do this. You can't say there was never a big height advantage for teams out there because there often is. I know you don't mean to, but you are basically criticizing every college coach out there with this opinion.

That didn’t happen often. The match up got exposed by the lack of physicality and being stuck with a big on a guard… We rarely ever saw Gilly or SDJ get stuck on a big in the match up! I’d imagine mooney switched from the match up bc of the lack of wins. Offensively there was enough scoring, but not enough defense.
Sman… we played Gilly and Blake together and rarely saw post ups… and they sure didn’t work often given that teams success. I just don’t think you understand that switching up how you play completely for once game because of one match up does NOT give you the advantage.

Reactions: VT4700
Seems like revisionist history. We got hammered often, and frequently no less, in the match up zone with taller players posting up our shorter guards. That's why we don't play it anymore. After seeing it for a few years, opponents knew exactly how to attack it.

To say we need to jack up deep threes and forego close in basket opportunities by posting up a taller Spider guard when appropriate does not compute for me.

Seems like revisionist history. We got hammered often, and frequently no less, in the match up zone with taller players posting up our shorter guards. That's why we don't play it anymore. After seeing it for a few years, opponents knew exactly how to attack it.

To say we need to jack up deep threes and forego close in basket opportunities by posting up a taller Spider guard when appropriate does not compute for me.
Do you know what a match up zone is? Why would we have our guards down low in a match up zone? Taller players didn't post up our smaller guards then because our smaller guards were up top playing the perimeter.

And, no one is saying jack up deep 3s instead of posting up a taller guard. What I am saying is a lot more times than not, it will be better to run our offense than worrying about posting a guard up. My deep 3 comment was in relation to Syracuse's defense, and I definitely don't see us posting our guards up against their length.

Do you know what a match up zone is? Why would we have our guards down low in a match up zone? Taller players didn't post up our smaller guards then because our smaller guards were up top playing the perimeter.
Yes....vaguely. As to the rest of your post, it is revisionist history. It happened frequently most games.

Yes....vaguely. As to the rest of your post, it is revisionist history. It happened frequently most games.
I’m sorry but you’re wrong.
What games? If you can find any highlights please show them, because the match up zone is meant to keep bigger players down and smaller players up. We just have never been big. So our forwards who were undersized, but not our guards by any means.

I’m sorry but you’re wrong.
What games? If you can find any highlights please show them, because the match up zone is meant to keep bigger players down and smaller players up. We just have never been big. So our forwards who were undersized, but not our guards by any means.
There were plenty of games where we had our guards mismatched defending forwards. This was a reasonably common occurrence and one of the known issues with the matchup zone.

lots of positives to that defense but this was a definite negative to it.

There were plenty of games where we had our guards mismatched defending forwards. This was a reasonably common occurrence and one of the known issues with the matchup zone.

lots of positives to that defense but this was a definite negative to it.
Agree and CM would have never thought to change till teams were figuring out how to get us in those bad
matchups. There were many conversations on this board why we were not switching to a zone or man
when the matchup zone was getting exploited.

I don't think anyone is questioning that we changed to man to man because the match up zone was not working. But, the match up zone keeps your guards matching up on the perimeter, so they were not getting posted up. They just weren't. There would be no reason for them to leave the perimeter. Our forwards had the issues underneath, not our guards. And, as good as TJ and Grant were offensively, they were not great in the match up zone.

Reactions: POMSpidur
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT