ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Stony Brook

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

two struggling teams battle Saturday for respect in the lower tier of the CAA standings...winning on Long Island has been tough for the Spiders since the Seawolves joined the CAA...even our powerful Kyle Lauletta led 2016 team went down to the Wolves 42-14 just a couple of weeks after defeating UVA!

Coach Huesman knows, and he spoke of it during the week, that the Spiders will face an old school tough, physical Stony Brook team...veteran SB Coach Priore favors the run first approach...RB Lawton is the CAA's top rusher...it should be the Seawolves strength versus the Spiders strength, our defensive front seven...

with 10, 7 and 3 points respectively in our last three losses we've been watching our offense disappear...things are still hazy this week as Huesman said the Spiders were preparing four QB's for possible use in this game...let's hope whoever takes the field under center can be effective enough to take some pressure off of the defense...

this Spiders fan believes our best chance to break the skid is a defensive slugfest...

I feel for our players...they need a win...maybe we can find a way Saturday?

enjoy the Prologue...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: 32counter
We scored 10, then 3 fewer, then 4 fewer. If the pattern continues, we'll score -2 Saturday. Sounds like another loss.

The hurry-up tempo hasn't worked in five years. So we are trying it today. How many offensive penalties do we have so far? Mancuso just threw an interception to some guy named Pringle, who was apparently named after a potato chip. Can this get any worse?

Down 20-0 not even halftime yet. Leave the coaching staff in Stony Brook. Whole team is done.

Do people still think we would have beaten Tech & JMU with Joe M at QB?

Or are we blaming the bus for this loss as well? Covid? Fall temperatures? I’m sure there’s an injury excuse somewhere.

We have more penalties (7) than first downs (4), but at least more first downs than turnovers (3). This seems like a new low in the Durden era.

It looks like ballgame 27-7 in 4th quarter. Five turnovers committed today. Next week at New Hampshire doesn't sound too great either.

The decision to play mancuso with a healing index finger on his throwing hand reminds me of the decision to play golden with the broken middle finger on his shooting hand. Admire the kids desire to play, but piss pour coaching decisions. In both cases, the players were clearly playing restricted.

Do people still think we would have beaten Tech & JMU with Joe M at QB?
With a healthy Joe, I think we would have beaten Tech. He had just run a long run before he was injured. He's a decent dual threat QB. Tech looked very pedestrian in the game that we played them. They are not a good team, One score given up on special teams - so our defense did it's job. After Joe went down, there was no offense. So yeah - with a healthy Joe I think we beat Tech on that Saturday.

JMU - We only gave up 19 I think on defense. With a healthy Joe maybe we beat them also.

I didn't see today's game, but I doubt he was healthy enough to be what he can really do.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
coach russ comes off so unlikeable in his pressers , if they bring him back next year, there crazy , maybe joe did not look good today , but a one handed qb , gave them there chance to win , the kid gutted it out, if they had better then should have played , but since they did not whose fault is that? his act got old a long time ago.

The decision to play mancuso with a healing index finger on his throwing hand reminds me of the decision to play golden with the broken middle finger on his shooting hand. Admire the kids desire to play, but piss pour coaching decisions. In both cases, the players were clearly playing restricted.
Grant’s injury was on his left hand, and the prognosis was they didn’t think he could do further damage.

Internet went out right before half time. How did we do so much better in second half? We
ended up with more yardage and hard to believe after watching such a crappy first half.

Grant’s injury was on his left hand, and the prognosis was they didn’t think he could do further damage.
Well yes but that didn’t mean he had adequate strength or pain management to hold the ball with both hands.

I didn’t watch the game yesterday (mercifully) but it sounds like one issue was perhaps Joe had difficulty gripping the ball? Sounds like that wasn’t the only problem the team had though.

Well yes but that didn’t mean he had adequate strength or pain management to hold the ball with both hands.

I didn’t watch the game yesterday (mercifully) but it sounds like one issue was perhaps Joe had difficulty gripping the ball? Sounds like that wasn’t the only problem the team had though.

That’s true. But it’s obviously way worse if it’s on his shooting hand as the poster was suggesting. Particularly offensive to suggest that Mooney and coaches didn’t take into account his health which also is not true.

I know the staff knew the injury couldn't get worse and stated I admired the kids desire to play. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter which hand, he was still playing one handed, and was not effective. Unfortunately it took two games for the staff to figure out that a one handed Grant is too ineffective.

I had a chance to listen to the postgame interview. Huesman still doesn’t seem to be taking any ownership for the play calling or what the O is doing (or not doing). If he’s that unhappy with it, fire the play caller. It almost feels like he’s distancing himself from that in case someone wants to fire him at the end of the year.

Ironically Hardt is probably more upset at Huesman about the press conferences than the performance on the field.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
coach russ comes off so unlikeable in his pressers , if they bring him back next year, there crazy , maybe joe did not look good today , but a one handed qb , gave them there chance to win , the kid gutted it out, if they had better then should have played , but since they did not whose fault is that? his act got old a long time ago.
Agree. Very first question asked, how did your quarterback look? "Not great, two interceptions, fumble, you got to throw the ball away". And, he just looks miserable and defeated. It's just so tiring watching him yell at players every week, and badmouth them in the press conferences. It's just such a bad look.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT