ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Baseball Season

We were leading 6-3 going into bottom of 9th but gave up 3 runs to go to extra innings. Only gave up 4 hits so must have been some walks and errors.

Solid 2-0 start, taking down an ACC opponent. Maybe Baseball & LaX can be the bright spots for the dismal Spider Athletic season

Great to see the Spiders find a way to win without playing their best game. Impressed with the start of this team, its to early to get excited but we may have something special.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Haven't had a 3 game stretch like this in quite some time (Probably NCAA years). Keep the momentum going against JMU.

Reactions: urfan1
So I walked over to GT Saturday for the baseball game on Saturday (the only sunny day we've had in 2 weeks). Apparently all our fans (which there were quite a few) were all parents/relatives of the players. I spoke with Brendan McGuigan's Mom/Dad. Very nice folks, as was everyone there. My initial impressions, thoughts and what I heard (please know my baseball knowledge is limited):

- Tim Miller seems to be No. 1 starter right now, McGuigan 2/3 starter, Schipper 3/4 starter
- Plantier is just a level above everyone as a hitter right now--I wasn't the only one to see that, uttered by many of the Dads there. Obviously having a dad who was a major-leaguer certainly shows.
- Great camaraderie among the team, everyone there to congratulate and pick guys up when needed.
- It's early in the season but some head scratchers on fielding and base running.
- I think team can certainly exceed the 32 wins later year and this opening weekend was a good start.
- Catcher Schmidt had a great day at the plate, but blew some past balls.
- I don't know how GT was the #17 team after what I witnessed.

Talked to several of the guys last night at a UR event. They are very excited. Each player individually enthusiastically said how much comaraderie there is and how well the guys get along. They are having fun and that translated well on the field.

This is an impressive start. It will be interesting to see what we do with Duke on Tuesday.

When was the last time the team started 5-0? Maybe 2003? Great start, keep it rolling!

Duke today big test for the spiders, especially after just finishing 3 games in two days.

Losing 1-5 to Blue Devils in T4. Finally O got us on the board. Our SP Marcus (FR) deserved better. Overall, pretty good 1st outing and potential mid-week contributor this season. Unfortunately, his IF hasn't bother to show up today -- 2 errors costing us 3 runs in B3. Woodson & PC cost us first 2 runs by pitching to Duke hitter who's been HR hot since weekend. Simply don't get it. With an open base no reason to give him anything to hit but we do and he pulls it over LF wall. Hoping Lamb can stop the bleeding for few innings and give our hitters time to get us back into it.

Last edited:
Anemic offense today against Duke pitching. Still down 4 in B7. But Lamb did his thing -- 3 1/3 scoreless to stop the bleeding. Really hope this IF does some hard drills next few days. Pretty bad showing on ground ball D today (and yesterday wasn't much better). Making those plays are critical to saving extra pitches and simply can't give any opponent extra outs and runs.

Last edited:
wasnt the worst performance.. Dukes ranked 21. Shore up the defense and this game is closer. Also, playing 4th game in 3 days and think Duke gave us their best pitcher? Whoever was our middle reliever did an excellent job unforunately his name escapes me. Lots to be excited about with this start despite todays loss.

wasnt the worst performance.. Dukes ranked 21. Shore up the defense and this game is closer. Also, playing 4th game in 3 days and think Duke gave us their best pitcher? Whoever was our middle reliever did an excellent job unforunately his name escapes me. Lots to be excited about with this start despite todays loss.
Lamb was middle reliever after Marcus (true freshman) started. All our pitchers did well today, which was only bright spot in loss. IF defense was clearly low of the day. Scorer was being kind with only 3 errors given. At the plate seemed to be waiting for walks instead of being aggressive. Has worked in first 6 games with a lot of free trips to 1B, but Duke pitchers were big step up from what they've faced so far this season. Lots of lessons learned going into next series.

Guess we won't go undefeated. No one does.

The team here is 119-18 (.869) since the start of the 2017 season. That's pretty good.

See that Sat. game vs. Rider now says 11:00am start. Probably have to clear parking lot for 4pm hoops.

Another rain out, it's hard to pick up any momentum when the weather is postponing or canceling games. will they make up Fri's game with a double header?

RICHMOND, Va. – Friday's baseball game with the Rider Broncs has been postponed due to inclement weather. The game, originally scheduled for a 2 p.m. start, was initially moved to noon before officials decided to postpone Friday's contest. The Spiders and Broncs will now take part in a doubleheader Saturday morning beginning at 9:30 a.m.

Shout out to the team, 8-1 to start the season. Rider on Sunday, then on the road next week.

Keep the pedal to the metal, Guys! Like how you are looking!

Went into 8th with 3-2 lead, but IF implodes once again, so now losing 4-3. You'd think after all those errors in Duke game, they'd have worked on it. Just from watching, seems our infielders sit back on too many ground balls (rather than be aggressive) and short arm throws often. Not sure, but having to play doubleheaders every week so far can't help.

Reactions: iSpider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT