ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Round 1 Game Thread @Virginia Tech - Tonight/Tuesday 9pm - ESPN2/ESPN+

Particularly loved the early discussion about a great play by Quinn, except that it was Walz with the camera on him the whole time they were talking about Quinn.

But there were so many brilliant moments...
I noticed that one too. Talked about him transferring from Lafayette, etc. then 10 seconds later said Walz and just fluffed it off. They were brutal, and missed so much of the game due to incessant one upmanship BS talk.

i may have looked away for a moment but did the production crew ever show any UR crowd shots?

There was literally only 25 of us 😀
Very disappointing. It's only a few hours from Richmond. Come 'on, Spider fans! And all of you on this message board talking up the NIT. I was very notably disappointed with being in the NIT and still almost turned myself around to attend from Colorado on my way to Columbus Ohio for the women's NCAA game! We have to act like a serious program as a fan base if we want to be one!!

Very disappointing. It's only a few hours from Richmond. Come 'on, Spider fans! And all of you on this message board talking up the NIT. I was very notably disappointed with being in the NIT and still almost turned myself around to attend from Colorado on my way to Columbus Ohio for the women's NCAA game! We have to act like a serious program as a fan base if we want to be one!!
If I’m not mistaken the game tipped at 9:05 local time. So a 2 hour game + a 2 hour drive home means getting home after 1am with work the next morning. I can’t blame fans for not being able to swing that on 2 days notice.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Give ne a break!! You are definitely complaining about the wrong group if you want a serious program. The fans, except those on the board who obviously work for UR, for the most part want a serious program and expect one.

Reactions: Spider B
I disagree. Have you been watching CM teams for many years? Give us a big game, with equal talent, and Id say he loses almost all of those games. Look at history. The 1 NCAA appearance hes had in 13 years was with the “most talented team in Richmond history” and he had to have a miracle occur. That team lost many games against less talented teams.
I can confidently say he has lost most games where his team was expected to lose. This year the Gods were on his side but name 1 game where he overachieved?? There arent any. Not 1.
just because they were the most talented team in RICHMOND history doesn’t mean they were more talented than other teams? That just means they were more talented than the LESS talented teams he had before. He overachieved beating Dayton just this year? Do you think this team was more talented than daytons? More talented than VCU’s? Drake was more talented than UR last year, Iowa the year before that. Kentucky the year before that. I mean I can go on all day. This team this year wasn’t a top 5 talented team maybe not a top 10 talented team in the conference all year and found a way to finish 1st. You don’t get coach of the year for not overachieving in games!

Give ne a break!! You are definitely complaining about the wrong group if you want a serious program. The fans, except those on the board who obviously work for UR, for the most part want a serious program and expect one.
How can we expect a serious program when the gym is almost empty when we are cutting down the nets in our own arena? That’s not a serious fan base. How can an unserious fan base complain about an “unserious team”
10 minutes up the road would have been jam packed until the players left the arena

After the St Joe's game at Robins many fans were there as the players and Coach Mooney cut down the nets. "Almost empty" is not a valid description.

just because they were the most talented team in RICHMOND history doesn’t mean they were more talented than other teams? That just means they were more talented than the LESS talented teams he had before. He overachieved beating Dayton just this year? Do you think this team was more talented than daytons? More talented than VCU’s? Drake was more talented than UR last year, Iowa the year before that. Kentucky the year before that. I mean I can go on all day. This team this year wasn’t a top 5 talented team maybe not a top 10 talented team in the conference all year and found a way to finish 1st. You don’t get coach of the year for not overachieving in games!
Your first point really isnt worth debating since Mooney made the claim consistently about UR history not just his teams. Not many honest fans here would say he over achieved with tthat group he had for 5 years.
Beating Dayton at home is not over achieving. At home is an equalizing factor and Dayton lost 3 more conference games, and since UR had co player of the year, Id say talent was pretty equal. No over achieving there. Sorry.
I will give you Iowa 2 years ago but your other points just arent accurate imo. This years team was not expected to have much talent because no one knew how good transfers would be. Yes this team had as much or more talent than nearly all teams in A10 and did have a very friendly schedule as has been pointed out.
Its not worth arguing, except to say those who have watched for many years know. CM doesnt win big games against decent coaches. He just doesn’t.

How can we expect a serious program when the gym is almost empty when we are cutting down the nets in our own arena? That’s not a serious fan base. How can an unserious fan base complain about an “unserious team”
10 minutes up the road would have been jam packed until the players left the arena
They shouldnt even have done it. I would have left also. A seriois coach and program would not have even considered cutting down the nets when all they accomplished was a guaranteed TIE for first place. A perfect example of a non serious administration and coach with small expectations.

Your first point really isnt worth debating since Mooney made the claim consistently about UR history not just his teams. Not many honest fans here would say he over achieved with tthat group he had for 5 years.
Beating Dayton at home is not over achieving. At home is an equalizing factor and Dayton lost 3 more conference games, and since UR had co player of the year, Id say talent was pretty equal. No over achieving there. Sorry.
I will give you Iowa 2 years ago but your other points just arent accurate imo. This years team was not expected to have much talent because no one knew how good transfers would be. Yes this team had as much or more talent than nearly all teams in A10 and did have a very friendly schedule as has been pointed out.
Its not worth arguing, except to say those who have watched for many years know. CM doesnt win big games against decent coaches. He just doesn’t.
LOL you win. This team was the most talented team in the A10. You think because we both have a POY, that the overall talent is equal? YIKES!

You said find a game where the other team was equally as talented with a good coach. Now if you are suggesting mooney doesn’t win games he’s supposed to. We can go look at games he’s won against Vegas’s spread or kenpom projections.

They shouldnt even have done it. I would have left also. A seriois coach and program would not have even considered cutting down the nets when all they accomplished was a guaranteed TIE for first place. A perfect example of a non serious administration and coach with small expectations.
you and POM are tiring and I'm being very nice in this statement - the last 3 games we all agree were crazy painful but I was there on the net cutting night - pretty sure if was a rainy night on a weekday .. yes folks left .. I stayed and good # of others stayed. Smiles and cheers occurred and no this didn't curse us - we just failed to play well the next 3 games.

you and POM are tiring and I'm being very nice in this statement - the last 3 games we all agree were crazy painful but I was there on the net cutting night - pretty sure if was a rainy night on a weekday .. yes folks left .. I stayed and good # of others stayed. Smiles and cheers occurred and no this didn't curse us - we just failed to play well the next 3 games.
I really dont care if Im tiring. I think your obviously biased opinion of CM’s 19 year career is tiring. We know what happened after the premature celebration. Name a bigtime coach that would have cut down the nets BEFORE they actually secured the Championship? Coach K would have done that? Calipari? No one would do that. It was ridiculous!!!
I disagree and you obviously dont know anything about paychology. That celebration obviously led to the idea that the team had accomplished a big goal (a first time CM TIE for regular Championship).. CM was very happy, it was a big peg in his bucket list.

If I’m not mistaken the game tipped at 9:05 local time. So a 2 hour game + a 2 hour drive home means getting home after 1am with work the next morning. I can’t blame fans for not being able to swing that on 2 days notice.
Ahh. Are you tired? I'm kidding. I get it. I was just hoping for a much better crowd. Timing didn't help, though.

LOL you win. This team was the most talented team in the A10. You think because we both have a POY, that the overall talent is equal? YIKES!

You said find a game where the other team was equally as talented with a good coach. Now if you are suggesting mooney doesn’t win games he’s supposed to. We can go look at games he’s won against Vegas’s spread or kenpom projections.
So I guess you are saying Bigs Bailey Hunt Quinn all sucked and are no where near as talented as Dayton starters? Wow thats insulting. Super fan here didnt think much of UR’s players.
This year alone in OOC he lost against every decent team on the schedule except a very mediocre UNLV team. BC, UNI, Wich St. Yea I guess they all had more talent too, right?
As Ive said many times, those defending CM with such bravado very likely have a personal relationship with him, and in that case, I understand. You can have your bias view but realize many here dont and all we do is state the facts.

Yeah. I kinda thought at first it was a bad idea, but I think they deserved to celebrate. They won a share of the title that night and with tiebreakers the top seed. It is apparently not uncommon to cut down nets for this accomplishment. What was ridiculous was Indiana cutting down nets to celebrate a regular season championship after a loss!

Yeah. I kinda thought at first it was a bad idea, but I think they deserved to celebrate. They won a share of the title that night and with tiebreakers the top seed. It is apparently not uncommon to cut down nets for this accomplishment. What was ridiculous was Indiana cutting down nets to celebrate a regular season championship after a loss!
Apparently common? By who? Serious question.
And do you now think it was a bad idea after the 3 following games?

Apparently common? By who? Serious question.
And do you now think it was a bad idea after the 3 following games?
Other prominent programs. There was a whole discussion on here about that...

I think the last 3 games were hugely disappointing and wrecked a very promising season. I don't think cutting down the nets was the cause. I think it could have just as easily pumped them up for further success.

Other prominent programs. There was a whole discussion on here about that...

I think the last 3 games were hugely disappointing and wrecked a very promising season. I don't think cutting down the nets was the cause. I think it could have just as easily pumped them up for further success.
Other prominent programs have cut the nets down for a co-championship when they still had a chance for a solo Championship with one more win? Are you sure they didnt cut them down after clinching sole possession of the Championship, or a tie but with no chance left for the sole Championship? I must have missed that discussion.
You may think it didnt have a negatiive effect but the performance says otherwise.
Its over now. Time to put the season to rest.

Reactions: PASpider
So I guess you are saying Bigs Bailey Hunt Quinn all sucked and are no where near as talented as Dayton starters? Wow thats insulting. Super fan here didnt think much of UR’s players.
I would certainly consider this team as one of the most talented in our league ... BECAUSE OF HOW THEY PLAYED THIS SEASON. obviously if you go 15-3 in conference you have a lot of talent.

but the coaches in our own league and pretty much every other preseason publication projected us 11th give or take. that's what unbiased people thought of our talent. Mooney and staff got the most out of them this year ... until the end. the players themselves raised their level to play the best basketball of their careers.

the problem right now is that it doesn't feel sustainable with all the talent we're losing. there's a lot riding on this transfer portal again.

Offseasons are long around here, Dad. You know this.
I do...Just seems we aren't or "many" aren't appreciating this team enough. These guys are winners and wanted to win these last games as much as anyone on here. As far as some saying we aren't as talented, that's comical. I know personally I'll put my guy up against anyone in this league esp Dayton players (go watch that film) or anyone in the country. It didn't end the way anyone wanted but does it really except for one team every year? Yeah the goal to make the real tourney didn't happen...personally believe Reg Season Champs should be automatic but hey they makes sense and upsets the P6 coaches, see Tom Izzo's recent comments. Very proud of these young men!

Wait is someone saying we weren't one of the most talented teams in the league? I would suggest that person look at the scoreboard. We won the league, we had the POY, 2nd team all A-10 and MIP in our starting 5.

And then the wxtension after that… and maybe the miracle of 2020 which then gave us him for his lifetime.
2020 was the Covid year which left it unknown if Richmond would have made the Dance. Maybe 2022 when we won the A-10 tournament and beat Iowa is your intended reference?

Reactions: fatherspider
He received a 2-year extension in 2020 that would have taken him through this season, and then in 2022 he received another 3-year extension that takes him through 2026–27.

I do...Just seems we aren't or "many" aren't appreciating this team enough.
It’s because of the way ended. So abrupt and poor. Plus going from being #1 in conference and losing in your first game of the tournament and then you get slapped by a BAD VA Tech team. Not a good look at all. We were talented but you are only as good as your coach and Mooney can’t win big games when they matter the most. These last two especially show that.

Reactions: fatherspider
He received a 2-year extension in 2020 that would have taken him through this season, and then in 2022 he received another 3-year extension that takes him through 2026–27.
He's under contact for the next 3 year then. That is fine. His and his agent's whole argument that a coach needs to be under contract for 4 years to be able to recruit is thrown out the window by the portal.

And it is pretty clear that Mooney has no desire to go anywhere else. So, call his bluff if he is asking for more years and more $$$. He is the highest paid coach in the A-10 already. If he puts another season together like this one, than tell him we can talk extension next April.

We need to stop negotiating against ourselves.

It’s because of the way ended. So abrupt and poor. Plus going from being #1 in conference and losing in your first game of the tournament and then you get slapped by a BAD VA Tech team. Not a good look at all. We were talented but you are only as good as your coach and Mooney can’t win big games when they matter the most. These last two especially show that.
Charlie Browns mom...is that you.
nervous bad news GIF by Peanuts

I do...Just seems we aren't or "many" aren't appreciating this team enough. These guys are winners and wanted to win these last games as much as anyone on here. As far as some saying we aren't as talented, that's comical. I know personally I'll put my guy up against anyone in this league esp Dayton players (go watch that film) or anyone in the country. It didn't end the way anyone wanted but does it really except for one team every year? Yeah the goal to make the real tourney didn't happen...personally believe Reg Season Champs should be automatic but hey they makes sense and upsets the P6 coaches, see Tom Izzo's recent comments. Very proud of these young men!
I would take him too. He makes winning plays, I wouldn’t say that necessarily makes him more talented than other players in the league. For ex. I would rather have Djimon on my team than James Bishop and both players on Duquesne. But IMO those players are more talented.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I would take him too. He makes winning plays, I wouldn’t say that necessarily makes him more talented than other players in the league. For ex. I would rather have Djimon on my team than James Bishop and both players on Duquesne. But IMO those players are more talented.
I hear you…great points. But your example of Clark and Grant I don’t agree with. Great players for sure mainly great shooters. Clark very good defender too but neither can do what Dji does and that makes him more talented imo. I’m not saying he’s the most talented guy in the league but I’ve always held that he does everything really good but isn’t great at one thing. Maybe can say he’s great at finishing at the rim now and not so great at FT line. But I guess it’s all subjective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT