ADVERTISEMENT

2019/2020/2021/2022 Offers

Devin McCray leads Goochland as both a quarterback and defensive back
  • By ROB WITHAM | Special correspondent
  • Nov 23, 2018

5bf7635bbaa2c.image.jpg

Goochland QB Devin McCray during practice Wed. Nov. 21, 2018.

MARK GORMUS/TIMES-DISPATCH

After a post-practice meeting Wednesday at Randolph-Macon, to get specifics on what to expect the next day at Thanksgiving practice, Goochland junior quarterback/defensive back Devin McCray headed to the sideline to gather his belongings.

He carries himself with a quiet confidence, a professionalism that helps you understand both the football side of the 16-year-old, who first hit the field at the age of 5, and how he conducts himself away from the game.

And while it’s not unusual for a player in high school football to play both ways, not every team has someone who can lead both the offense and the defense. The 12-0 Bulldogs, who host Poquoson in Friday’s Class 2, Region A championship at Fluvanna High School, are thankful that they do.

“He’s done that for two years now,” said Goochland first-year coach Alex Fruth, once an assistant under former Bulldogs coach Joe Fowler. “He’s comfortable in that situation, mature in that situation. He does a good job communicating on both sides of the ball.”

McCray leads a defense which has allowed just 63 points in 12 games, pitching five shutouts. He knows that his future in football beyond the Bulldogs will be on defense, and he’s quite content with that.

“I mostly like defense. I like to hit people,” McCray said with a smile and tone that hides the physical nature of his play. The junior has spoken with some colleges, but has already decided, football or not, that higher education is definitely in his future.

Goochland averages just over 33 points per game, and McCray, a dual threat at quarterback, has 11 rushing touchdowns, and 11 more through the air. Fruth has seen the most progression from McCray as a passer.

“He throws a better ball now. He’s matured in that regard,” Fruth explained when asked about the physical progression of his quarterback since opening night. “We’ve asked him to do more than we’ve asked in the past couple of years. We’re telling him to make some decisions, check us out of plays. We’re running some option stuff, and he’s grown into it. He’s done a really good job.”

Don’t let his calm, sometimes quiet, demeanor fool you. McCray becomes lead motivator prior to the opening whistle, thanks in part to his own, psychological motivator.

“I’ve learned from past leaders that I need to pick up the intensity for the team, keeping them motivated to keep going,” McCray said. “My dad [Daryl] psyches me up before games, the night before he always tries to get me mentally prepared because he knows my coaches will have me physically prepared.”

Thanksgiving dinner was likely paired with a huge pep talk, as McCray and Goochland try to beat the team that ended their 2017 season in this round, 21-10.

“We’ll need to just get dialed in, and we should be fine,” McCray said.

2018 All Metro Utility player:

Height, weight: 5-11, 170

The skinny: A quarterback, running back, free safety and cornerback, McCray completed 48 of 97 passes for 807 yards, 12 touchdowns and four interceptions. He rushed 123 times for 587 yards and 16 touchdowns, and on defense he made 20 tackles and 20 assists and intercepted six passes. He was one of the key players in Goochland’s run to the Class 2 state championship game and its 14-1 record.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT